Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

TWA has inmates at the Ventura prison in California for booking reservaions. Spalding in HI. Microsoft in WA. Edie Bauer in WA. AT&T telemarketing in CO.

At least those were reported in Michael Moore's film 'the Big One.' He even interviewed some of the rapists and murderers who said that people give them lots of personal information over the phones and who cautioned people to think twice about to whom they were giving out their personal information.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Jeff Fox

State prisoners in Oregon produce the Prison Blues line of denim clothing, which is available to retailers both inside and outside Oregon.

"Prison Blues® products are now sold throughout the United States, Japan and Europe."

The prisoners earn from $6.80 to over $0.00 per hour---but 80% of their wages go to pay restitution and incarceration costs.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Whether ad-hominem or not, how is that statement an attack? It only expresses an opinion on Mr. Stewart's automobile preference. It says nothing about Mr. Stewart's character or standing among his peers (unless, he happens to be a paid promoter of Volvo automobiles ;-) )

But then someone who makes even one true statement deserves some consideration and investigation. The fact that truthful statements may even be in the minority does not diminish their truth.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

... snip ...

It also slows down the slump after a bubble. The problem is to find a suitable balance.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Blind faith

I want to offer my congratulations to Jim and Alan for producing some illuminating points on the Moore films.

Reply to
DM McGowan II

Then how do you do color printing?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

As I said, that is a reason. In practice I either am satisfied with a gray scale, or I ship the jpg or whatever off to my granddaughter. That serves to keep her inkjet unclogged.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Maybe Agilent isn't the criminal here. Maybe they held on as long as they could and kept those American jobs right here in the United States for as long as possible. Yet the longer and harder they fought to do so, the more and more they lost. Lost profits. Lost market share. In the end, there was no choice. If they were to stay in business at all, keep the doors open and retain at least a few jobs for their loyal employees, they had no choice but to outsource. I'm not saying that this is the case. But it could be. Its a possibility. You can't punish Agilent for being the last defector by buying products from a company who was one of the first.

---

Its hard to set personal circumstances aside and objectively look at this issue of jobs flying out of this country. I've been hurt pretty bad by this whole h1b/overseas thing myself. And its not just that, the economy as a whole sucks.

Who and what is at fault for whole big mess? Is it the fault of the snake tongued/two-faced politicians? Directors and officers who suck-up to stockholders? The stupidity of executives and middle managers? Or is it the greedy American tech employees who insist upon health insurance and a living wage? Maybe the problem is due to all of the above. I have yet to hear somebody pipe up and say, "Its my fault." And until somebody does so, it is virtually impossible to solve the problem.

I can't imagine what it would cost to buy a car that was, from start to finish, manufactured in the US. Everything from the mining and smelting of the steel, through the chips and capacitors in the stereo, through the filaments in the dome light, to the paint on the roof of the car. One hundred percent homegrown, built out of minerals mined from US OSHA compliant mines, processed in EPA approved factories, built in union shops, and assembled right here in the good old US of A. What do you think a car like that would cost? From another perspective, how many jobs were lost from the United States through the overseas outsourcing of all these jobs, in order to keep the cost of cars within a somewhat affordable price range?

Didn't we used to build our own cars here, almost 100%, up through the 50's and 60's? What has happened to this country since then that has made it impossible for us manufacture our own products anymore? Maybe the answer is that we expect too much in terms of quality of life. So we import/import/import everything at a cheap price from foreign sweat shops. Now, the bubble has burst.

Coming out of high school, umpty years ago, a thought crossed my mind: technology is maturing faster than society, and that's going to be a big, big problem in the future (which is now). Look at the Mayas, the Romans, the Incas, or for heavens sakes just read Kings. Societies rise and fall. We may be in the beginning stages of a shift in power, or even societal collapse!

Anyhow, I hear lots of pissing and moaning about this situation, and quite a few people on this board are victims. It would be nice to hear somebody put forth a suggestion rather than a complaint.

Circuit designers and programmers have become a commodity, and the American worker is in no position to compete at this level. My suggestion, however unpopular and lame as it might be, is to move up on the food chain. Learn more about business and how businesses are run. Perhaps start a business on your own and become self reliant. No, its not the answer for everybody, nor will everybody come out of this mess unscathed. If anybody else has any suggestions, we're all ears.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco

I tried that once. I only print color very seldom. I would take a floppy over to my brother's house and use his printer. But he decided to do me a favor and buy me an Epson for xmas. It is not sitting unused because the jets have clogged. I spoke with an Epson rep at Best Buy once and he admitted that that model was very prone to screwing up. He said the replacement model has the same defect. But the replacement to

*that* model now has the problem licked. Geeze, how do you know a printer is worth a durn if they keep replacing them before they get a chance to develop a reputation?
--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

I am afraid that your reply is not clear. The above quote is the same as what I said (or thought I was saying). But your last paragraph is not clear or I don't understand the context.

Either way I think this is not worth continuing unless it bothers you and you want to make it more clear. I am pretty much over it.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

I think I have to explain once again that this was t.i.c. and was not intended to be taken quite so literally. I apologize for not making that more clear.

However, I do reserve the right to be biased by a person's previous performance, whether or not someone labels that practice a "fallacy."

Mr. Moore has a reputation for bending the facts "artistically" to promote his own political views, In view of that, I'm skeptical about any supposed facts "revealed" by any of his films.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Perhaps you can explain what TIC means?

You can be biased and as skeptical as you like. The point was merely that your statement was not accurate and used a common method of distorting the truth. But now I see it was merely an overstatement.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Tongue In Cheek

Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

... snip ...

Actually those films *do* represent the truth. They may omit some facets, and stress others.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

They tend to add some facets, as well.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

"rickman" wrote

unused

He

I assume you meant that it is "now" sitting unused because the jets are clogged. You might try wetting a Q-tip with alcohol (not sopping, but well moistened) and cleaning the end of the cartridge. This often works, I suppose that's why the manufacturers tell you not to do it. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

It depends on how you define representing the truth. IMO, manipulating the truth to deceive is the same as a lie. YMMV

Reply to
FLY135

That works OK with HP printers---where the nozzles are part of the cartridge. Won't help with an Epson, where the cartridge is only an ink supply. The nozzles are down out of sight inside the printer.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

I did it three time on my Epson C80 before it died mysteriously.. disassembled it, cleaned the heads, emptied the dead ink area, and cleaned the brushes. Total time about an hour.. happened about every 8 months, roughly.

Windex works better than rubbing alcohol. The Canon i850 that replaced it not only has a removable head, but has not clogged since I got it.. and makes decent glossy one-off pictures.

R C

Reply to
R C

In a documentary, facts are not optional:

DM McGowan II