Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them - Page 5

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

call
ad
"proof"

The bigger question is why are you asking someone who made no claims about
an alleged fact, when you offer no proof about the claim that you allege?
My guess is that you just learned the meaning of "ad hominem" and wanted to
show off.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

First of all, an ad hominem attack is just
that, an attack.  Now an attack can be true
or false.  Just because it is an ad hominem
attack does *not* make it a fallacy.

One could say that "Jim Stewart hates Volvos
because he drives a Subaru".  By your definition,
this is a fallacy because it is an ad hominem
attack.  In reality it is both an ad hominem
attack and it is true.

As to how many false statements someone must
make before they have lost their credability,
we obviously differ.  To my mind, anyone that
makes even one deliberately missleading statement
is suspect.  Again, I leave it as an exercise
for the readers to determine if Michael Moore
fits in that category.

You may say that with that standard honesty,
I must not believe very much. You'd be correct.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
says...

Whether ad-hominem or not,  how is that statement
an attack?  It only expresses an opinion on Mr.
Stewart's automobile preference.  It says nothing
about Mr. Stewart's character or standing among
his peers (unless, he happens to be a paid promoter
of Volvo automobiles ;-)  )

But then someone who makes even one true statement
deserves some consideration and investigation.  The
fact that truthful statements may even be in the
minority does not diminish their truth.

Mark Borgerson

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

Failed logic? There's no need for *all* of MM's past statements to have
been false to make it wise to suspect his current rants.

--
Bill
Posted with XanaNews Version 1.16.3.1

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycottthem

I am afraid that your reply is not clear.  The above quote is the same
as what I said (or thought I was saying).  But your last paragraph is
not clear or I don't understand the context.

Either way I think this is not worth continuing unless it bothers you
and you want to make it more clear.  I am pretty much over it.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycottthem

I think I have to explain once again that this was t.i.c. and was not
intended to be taken quite so literally. I apologize for not making
that more clear.

However, I do reserve the right to be biased by a person's previous
performance, whether or not someone labels that practice a "fallacy."

Mr. Moore has a reputation for bending the facts "artistically" to
promote his own political views, In view of that, I'm skeptical about
any supposed facts "revealed" by any of his films.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Perhaps you can explain what TIC means?

You can be biased and as skeptical as you like.  The point was merely
that your statement was not accurate and used a common method of
distorting the truth.  But now I see it was merely an overstatement.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycottthem

Tongue In Cheek

http://bovis.gyuvet.ch/3dict/312usene.htm

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Actually those films *do* represent the truth.  They may omit some
facets, and stress others.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

They tend to add some facets, as well.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

What has this *entire* thread got to do with "comp.arch.embedded"?

Regards,
Sachin

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycottthem

Nothing other than we all members of a society and it does
no harm to discuss socialogical issues on occasion as long
as it doesn't become excessive or degrade to personal attacks.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycottthem

It depends on how you define representing the truth.  IMO, manipulating the
truth to deceive is the same as a lie.  YMMV

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycottthem

In that case there is no shadow of doubt, GWB lied about reasons
to invade Iraq.  Note that this is totally orthagonal to whether
or not Iraq needed invading.  GWBs lies are much worse, in that
they have cost many lives.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycottthem

Figured someone would segue this to GWB.  It was inevitable.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycottthem
Perhaps there should be a corollary to Godwin's law that says
a discussion is finished when any participant invokes a current
or past POTUS unless it is strictly on topic.

Mark Borgerson

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycottthem
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:50:13 GMT, "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not

The "someone" was predictable, as well.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

In a documentary, facts are not optional:

http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn2.0?stage=1&word=documentary
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=documentary

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

Just as there are no crooked CEOs.  And the administration never
lied about WMDs.  Have blind faith, and indulge in
self-deception.  This is the best of all possible worlds.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

I think you misunderstand. I'm suggesting that you (or anyone else)
should *not* place any blind faith in Michael Moore, especially
considering his track record. Perhaps I should have added a smiley,
but I thought the intent was obvious.

Here's some further information for you to consider - movies, by
whatever maker, are often not reflections of true events. In fact,
they're often downright fiction!

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting