Affordable PCB Layout Software ??? - Page 3

Re: Affordable PCB Layout Software ???
I usually use:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcb
with gschem (from gEDA) for schematics.
--
HTH, Wojtek

Re: Affordable PCB Layout Software ???

I recommend the combination of KiCad and FreeRouting.net.  It is an
almost unbeatable combination.

KiCad is free as in beer and speech, runs on Windows and Linux.  It
has an interface to use FreeRouting.net for autorouting or manual
routing of PCB traces.

I used KiCad and FreeRouting.net for my N8VEM SBC project.  You can
check out a sample on the Google Groups of the SBC PCB and ECB
backplane PCB.

http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem/files?&sort3D%date

KiCad has large part library support and can import Eagle parts.  It
can import and export Specctra and GenCAD as well.

Try KiCad!  You'll be happy you did!

Thanks and good luck!

Andrew Lynch

Re: Affordable PCB Layout Software ???

I tried KiCad last night, but I'm not that impressed. The user
interface is a bit clumsy and I can't find shortcuts. I like CAD
software where most elementary operations have shortcuts so you don't
need the mouse too much.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Re: Affordable PCB Layout Software ???

Take a look at FreePCB.  Nearly all of the commands are through the Fx
keys.  In fact, the original versions did not support many commands
via the right mouse button or through the menus.  In fact, you
couldn't even click the hot key labels at the bottom of the screen.
That has been changed so that you typically have three options on how
to invoke a command and many have four (menu, right click menu,
clickable hot key label and the hot key itself).

I have been using it enough that I am used to it.  There were a few
things I had to get used to, but *nothing* like learning Eagle.  I
think the one that bothered me the most is that when you click
something on the screen, if there is overlap it will select a part
first.  This can make it hard to select a net or vertex.  But that is
solved by using the selection mask on the left side of the screen.  So
it works pretty well and a lot of the rough edges have been smoothed
off.

Since it is not commercial software, but rather a program that was
written for the author to use, it gets changed when a rough edge is
pointed out.  You don't have to deal with a bureaucracy to get
something improved.

There is a Yahoo group for support, or better, the forum on the
freepcb.com web page which is very active.  A couple of people write
supporting software to provide XYRS files, documentation and the
like.  All in all it is pretty sweet!

Rick

Re: Affordable PCB Layout Software ???
Give a try to Proteus (www.labcenter.co.uk), we have switched to it from
more expensive packages a couple of years ago and we are delighted.
Especially with the mixed signal VSM simulator of course but the PCB design
suite has all the features we need even for quite complex RF designs.

Robert

snipped-for-privacy@news.east.earthlink.net...

Re: Affordable PCB Layout Software ???
design

How would Proteus compare to the combo OrCAD Schematich and PCB? I am still
running V9.2 here and am very reluctant to upgrade to Cadence.

But I also have a lot of designs in OrCAD....

Meindert

Re: Affordable PCB Layout Software ???

The Pulsonix software I use does a good job importing OrCAD designs:

http://www.pulsonix.com

Leon

Re: Affordable PCB Layout Software ???

Quite a few systems can Import OrCAD SCHs, and some
can import OrCAD PCBs, tho OrCAD PCB is much less common
than the SCH, so fewer bother with that conversion.

-jg

Re: Affordable PCB Layout Software ???

Interesting product! The prices seem quite reasonable
for what you get.

Current prices:

For 150 Pounds Sterling (~300 UD Dollars) you get:
500 pins maximum,
One Power Planes per layer
Standard Autorouting (not Rip-up and Retry)
No 3D Board Visualisation
No ODB++ Manufacturing Output
No Gate-Swap Optimizer
No Autoplace

For 295 Pounds Sterling (~590 US Dollars) you get:
The above features, except 1000 pins maximum.

For 395 Pounds Sterling (~790 US Dollars) you get:
The above features, except 2000 pins maximum.

For 595 Pounds Sterling (~1190 US Dollars) you get:
1000 pins maximum,
Unlimited Power Planes per layer,
Rip-up and Retry Autorouting
3D Board Visualisation
ODB++ Manufacturing Output
Gate-Swap Optimizer
Autoplace

For 995 Pounds Sterling (~1980 US Dollars) you get:
The above features, except 2000 pins maximum.

For 1225 Pounds Sterling (~2450 US Dollars) you get:
The above features with unlimited pins.

All of the above come with basic simulation.
For advanced simulation, add 195 Pounds Sterling
(~390 US Dollars).

Thet also offer Microcontroller Simulation for
ARM, AVR, HC11, PIC,  8051, Basic Stamp and USB
at prices ranging from 150 Pounds Sterling
(~300 US Dollars) to 395 Pounds Sterling
(~790 US Dollars).

A free demo is available (save and print disabled).