using a motor as a generator

I already posted this in another group but got no response, oh well i dont want to talk to them either

I have a project with an electric bicycle and want to get longer range for long distance travelling (25 miles or so) im too cheap to go past leadacid technology (meaning li-ion, i dislike ni-cd and nimh for the charge technique) and a small hybrid generator set up really speaks to the geek in me. im thinking a small 3 hp 2 stroke engine hooked up to a pmdc generator or an alternator. Im planning to use a pic to monitor voltage and throttle the engine accordingly (and even have it where if im not riding the bike it will do a proper absorbtion charge rise to 14.5-hold-then drop to 13.65 , or if im riding try its best to maintain 13.65, i think itll just have to pegged wide open if im riding anyways). Problems are im not too sure what the thermal capability of most motors are. Im going to assume a 540 mabuchi motor will burn up even though some of them are supposed to be able to throw out a half horse i cant imagine an 8 ounce motor dissipating that much heat. Another promising approach is the 35 amp mini alternators but then ill have to play with field voltage and throttle at the same time maybe better maybe not but its definetely more complicated(ill do it if its more efficient)/I might just throw down another 275 bucks for the same drive motor im using on the bike and spin that seems logical but i want to ask the experts (i am but a young'n). I know the people around here seem not to like the hybrid drive thing, but if its good enough for toyota its good enough for me. sorry if this is long and thanks for any help

Reply to
leeps

If you want efficient, go with permanent magnet generation. You can get brushless dc motors sometimes from the surplus vendors, and it would cost (much) less than the alternator. It will mean keeping your eyes open and having patience until something shows up. Maybe a treadmill motor or something. A good web site for discussing these things is

Also, if you're worried about an i.c. engine burning up, just use a governor or a throttle stop.

Reply to
kell

Im not worried about efficiency for power in vs power out its more for dealing with heat, same thing but what i meant was would the alternator run cooler than your "average" permanent magnet generator. I didnt realize that treadmill motors were dc what voltage, i might pick some up just to play with. A problem though is this thing is supposed to be towed behind a bicycle so i think that might be too heavy. if its in the 10-15 pound range and not too big it might be perfect. Ive been looking around surplus places and my main problem is there are no specs sometimes they just show a picture and say "12vdc motor 3000 rpm 1.4 amps" should say "good luck" right after it too. I wasnt really worried about burning up the engine, I was saying that i dont think the

540 mabuchi motors would make a good generator because of heat handling, mine has .2 ohms of armature resistance so at 25 amps im looking at 125 watts of heat. I cant imagine a small motor like that dissipating this kind of heat. I plan on having the unit controlled with a pic microcontroller, with temperature sensors amperage shunt voltmeters etc , basically going as far as the resources in the pic will let me with 33 i/o lines and 8 k program i should be able to get good control. Anybody know of proven pmdc motors that take about 30-40 amps continuous ( that dont cost a million dollars nor weigh a million pounds). continuous power ratings also seem really really hard to come by for the average non industrial motor. I know it seems like im being difficult here but i cant find a good motor, i could just use the small car alternator but maybe there is a good motor out there that i dont know about.
Reply to
leeps

I mooched around and found this with a brief Google search:

pm motors that are only a few inches in diameter and have 2.5 to 3 horses for $150. Doesn't say how much they weigh. Would be cheaper if you wait until they show up at some surplus house. I've never tinkered with this stuff, but I think you get ac from a brushless dc motor converted to generate electricity. Maybe you could use the diode pack from a car alternator to rectify it.

Reply to
kell

thanks for helping me out i really appreciate it they appear to have brush mounts so i wont need to rectify it, they appear to be hefty in size but are a lot cheaper than my drive motor, so i might just go for it, i dont have pedals anymore on this bike ( i know its a sin ) so the drive motor and brakes will just have to suck it up not me :-) im just hoping to find one on surplus the alternator sticks in the back of my head but regulating the voltage to do a charge cycle might end up being a task with the permanent magnet you up the throttle and the current goes up in proportion with the emf the voltage is self limiting by the coil resistance simple, the alternator will be a balancing act another thing i was thinking is if i dont use a clutch with the pmdc motor i can use it to start the motor no cords to yank! i appreciate your searching the site down your the only one who helped me

Reply to
leeps

You're planning to put a 2KW motor on a bicycle? you're nuts! 500W will be heaps in a hybrid setup, (also about the right size for a 35A automobile altenator).

--

Bye.
   Jasen

I hear this a lot from my dad "your nuts". Actually the motor that drives the bike is more than 2 kw.http://www.npcrobotics.com/products/viewprod.asp?prod=33&cat=20&mode=gfx thats 1 hp continuous 3.8 hp peak. Hill climbing and high speed cruising :-), im waiting for it in the post. 3.8 hp*750=2.85 kw

Reply to
leeps

Go to ebay and type "treadmill motor" in the search window. most of them are less than $50

Reply to
kell

I checked out the treadmill motors, theyre 130 vdc and low amperage, pretty much the opposite of what i was looking for i saw an electric scooter motor in th 30 buck range claimed 500 watts

24 volts seems perfect anybody here think its actually 500 watts continuous(wow bad spelling) if so its just about perfect
Reply to
leeps

You would be better off, energy-wise, to use the engine to drive the bike directly instead of using it to charge batteries to run the electric motor that then drives the bike. That would eliminate the weight and friction of the cart that tows the engine, which will knock the hell out of energy efficiency. That is a problem Toyota doesn't have - the vehicle has to be 4 wheels and large enough to contain the engine to begin with, so they are not adding a second vehicle just for the engine.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I realize this but I prefer the drive feeling of an electric motor over a gas engine, and this allows me to just have a gas engine on longer trips that the batteries cant accomplish.

Reply to
leeps