Stereo to Mono

Hello, I am in search of some help.

I know the basics about sound and such, but none of the really technical stuff. I am looking to do something that seems almost impossible to me to do properly without messing anything up.

I need to take two stereo line level signals, and turn them into two mono line level signals (or if that isn't possible one mono line level signal would work). I can buy or build anything, just need to know exactly what and how.

This is why I need it:

We have a very complex setup for our audio video system. We have 2 seperat AV Recievers and over 18 pieces of equipment. We have over 15 speakers in 8 rooms (7 in our main room, 2 in 2 others, and 1 in the rest).

With our old reciever and our new reciever we can get signals to everything, and with the old reciever's bypass mode, it sounds right everywhere except in two rooms that each have a single speaker. We are feeding them from the Zone 2 preout's of the new reciever. This reciever does not have the option to make this output mono. We have a seperate stereo amplifier that powers each speaker.

They need to be mono so that each room gets the full signal and not just one channel of a stereo signal.

Any suggestions, tips, etc?

theatrrap

You can add 2 stereo signals together to get one mono signal, which you can then feed to two or more mono channels.

You may be able to get away with a simple 'Y' connector to combine the stereo signals, but that depends upon their being a certain amount of output resistance in each stereo driver. Think of the case when one of the channels is momentarily at zero and the other is at peak: The channel at zero behaves like a ground connection, so if you just connect the two stereo outputs directly, the channel at peak is effectively shorted to ground. The only thing that limits its current is the output resistance of each channel.

So, to play it safe, put equal-valued resistors in each output; anything from about 1k to 10k should be fine. Connect the free ends of the resistors together and use that point to feed your mono channel inputs. Connect all the shields together directly.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v3.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

This sounds good and like something that I can do, but I am not sure that I understand exactly how to make the cables and such. Is it possible for you to make or point me to a diagram of some sort of what it should be? thanks!

Reply to
theatrrap

I dont remember the exact url, but if you google "esp westhost" you ought to find the site

Reply to
Jitt

I found this site. It looks like it might be right.

Do you happen to know what it was called? I cannot seem to quickly find it. Sorry to bother you again.

Reply to
theatrrap

View in mono-spaced font:

Right In --------- 2k--------. | Left In ----------2k--------o-------- Mono Out

Right Gnd ----o----------------------- Mono Gnd | Left Gnd ----'

As noted, the 2k resistors can be anything from 1k to 10k or so.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v3.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Does it matter that in this small adapter the signal won't be shielded?

Reply to
theatrrap

If you build this into a metal box, you can connect all the shields to the box. But you may be able to get by just fine without the box if your electrical environment is not too noisy.