OT: Bluetooth Question

My laptop has no built-in Bluetooth capability.

I've been pondering... could I add a Bluetooth dongle and then use the laptop as a speakerphone (linked to my cellphone)? ...Jim Thompson

I have a usb thing, and it has the toshiba stack. Let me experiemnt.

Martin Riddle

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

The question isn't can you do it with a dongle. The question is can you do it at all -- unless you've got a really old OS in there, it should treat the dongle like a built-in BlueTooth device.

As to using your laptop as a speakerphone -- your guess is as good as mine. It's physically possible, the question is whether someone's done it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Yes, If you can find a dongle with the Widcomm Bluetooth stack. The Toshiba stack and windows stacks don't support the A2DP that works in that direction like a headset.

Martin Riddle

Martin Riddle

That's a common situation.

Yep. I do that with Skype and various Bluegoof headsets all the time. So that I don't need to deal with yet another dongle on my laptop, I also have a BT mouse and a BT keyboard, all running on the same dongle. I also had some BT speakers, but didn't get to use them much before a customer bought them.

However, nothing in computing is simple. There are two types of BT. The conventional BT classic is probably what your unspecified model BT headset uses, and BT Low Energy (BT LE) which is the latest BT technology. The protocols are incompatible but will coexist nicely in a single chip. There's also a protocol to allow for "Wi-Fi coexistence".

I can't predict which BT technology you're going to need in the future. Therefore, I suggest you anticipate the need and purchase a BT 4.0 dongle that will do both BT classic and BT LE. Something like one of these: The dongles using a CSR 8510 chip seem to be the most common and in my limited experience, work well.

BT LE

CSR BT chips:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

(...)

Please ignore what I scribbled and suggested. I misread the question.