Original Equipment Needs To Shut Down Or Alert If the Circuitry Is Altered In Any Way

Temperature might be one way of doing it.  Any subsequent history of soldering would flag a problem.

Board watching cameras might be the easiest cheapest way to preserve the integrity of a device.

https://www.wired.com/story/plant-spy-chips-hardware-supermicro-cheap-proof-of-concept/

Re: Original Equipment Needs To Shut Down Or Alert If the Circuitry Is Altered In Any Way

proof-of-concept/

I read the other day you can take a "signature" of any given board for
just such purposes with this particular device. It only takes a few
seconds to run the check and one single component change on a board of
several hundred components will flag up a different signature. It's kind
of like an analogue version of the software integrity tests such as the
histogram and bit parity check.
I just wish I could remember who makes it and what it's called; should
have made a note at the time I guess.

Re: Original Equipment Needs To Shut Down Or Alert If the Circuitry Is Altered In Any Way

There may be some way to do that online.

Re: Original Equipment Needs To Shut Down Or Alert If the Circuitry Is Altered In Any Way
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 14:45:52 -0700 (PDT), Bret Cahill

We were doing this since WW2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_ (codename)

Re: Original Equipment Needs To Shut Down Or Alert If the Circuitry Is Altered In Any Way

Testing for 'altered in any way' will catch cosmic ray tracks, temperature/pressure changes,
and half a thousand other irrelevancies.   It will likely miss a bugging device that is powered by
beamed microwaves.

What CAN work, is a standard, generic hardware base with a firmware  personality; a multiplicity
of signatures can be applied to the firmware, and a one-time-buy of hardware can be
carefully scrutinized.   Even so, I've seen systems where it was ALL working, but (because
of a failing hard drive) some timings were WAY off; the hard drive wasn't going to admit
failure until it couldn't succeed-after-retry.   The problem of hidden firmware (like inside that
traitorous hard drive) has become endemic, in modern devices.

They're too smart.

Re: Original Equipment Needs To Shut Down Or Alert If the Circuitry Is Altered In Any Way
e/pressure changes,
device that is powered by
onality; a multiplicity
are can be
ing, but (because
 going to admit
rmware (like inside that

At least force them to go into the hard drive.  Have a way to disconnect co
mponents and check the rest on the device.

A lot of people still cling to this notion of privacy which never really ma
de sense in the first place.  The 4th Amend. was never about privacy.  It's
 about police planting evidence for a set up.  The ACLU trivializes the 4th
 knowing lying its about privacy.

Every revelation seems to be on the side of less privacy than thought.  Whe
n was the last time you heard a story about users having "even more privacy
 than they expected?"  You'd think they'd figger out privacy doesn't exist
today.  This doesn't even need to include Equifax using passwords like "adm
in."

The feds just arrested a neo nazi planning a race war.  Such arrests indica
te the lack of privacy is worth the benefits.  Demonetization, at least dow
n to some limited size cash transactions, say, $10,000, would be OK.  If yo
ur hooker or drug dealer wants more than $10K in cash you move to another c
ountry.  Reduce the max bill size from $500 to $50 so that bribing politici
ans and media requires comically enormous totes.

Nevertheless an honest law abiding person with highly motivated political e
nemies might be spending some time thinking about getting set up and falsel
y arrested.

As long as the government is forced to explain everything to a jury it may
work out for most people and society generally.

Bret Cahill

Re: Original Equipment Needs To Shut Down Or Alert If the Circuitry Is Altered In Any Way
A High-Tech Solution for Rooting Out Counterfeit Goods

Mobile optical scanners can check the authenticity of an object with
unprecedented speed

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/a-high-tech-solution-for-rooting-out-counterfeit-goods/

Re: Original Equipment Needs To Shut Down Or Alert If the Circuitry Is Altered In Any Way

r-rooting-out-counterfeit-goods/

Most counterfeiters are inherently lazy so you don't expect them to do a go
od job.  Decades ago Dad showed up for doubles and asked if anyone liked hi
s new Prince.  One opponent walks up to the net demanding a better look at
the racquet and immediately announces, "that ain't no Prince."  I compared
the 3 ball logo later and they didn't even get the Prince logo right.  A fe
w years ago I received some designer pen supposedly worth $100 or more.  I
checked it out on line and that was a sloppy counterfeit as well.

This didn't require any HD signal processing.

Optical, one of the earlier suggestions, may be a way to force them to actu
ally replace a chip with something that looks and does the same and, of cou
rse, a bit more.

Bret Cahill

When Rembrandt discovered his students were making more money selling fake
Rembrandts than Rembrandt originals Rembrandt inquired if he could start pa
inting fake Rembrandts.

-- Joseph Heller _Picture This_

Site Timeline