How to tell if audio equipment is 110V or 220V?

I was given an old Sony tape deck. The original deck specs 110V. The person who gave it to me, told me the power supply burned and he had it

fixed but can't recall if he had the transformer rewired for 220V... Is there a way I can find out if this is to work with 110 or 220? Only thing I have is a Voltmeter. Thanks!

Reply to
Lucky

Look inside and see if there are any switches or connections labeled for voltage.

If not, apply 120 V (the lower of the 2 possible voltages) and see if it works.

Reply to
mc

Connect to 110 source, and then Two posibilities: a) Dead silence. b) Happy music. Connect to 220 source, and then Three posibilities: a) Dead silence. b) Happy music. c) A knack of exploding capacitors.

It is left as homework to conclude what to do next.

Have fun

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto