Newbie question: Can I Light a 12VDC LED from 24VAC source?

Newbie question:

I'd like to have an led light from 24VAC (when an HVAC thermostat closes).

I have a few 12VDC leds (automotive) - is it relatively easy to get these to light from 24VAC? What might the circuit look like - diodes, resistors??

Or are there such things as 24VAC leds?

Thanks

Reply to
taurus

"taurus" schreef in bericht news:bZX7j.2965$ox1.1525@pd7urf3no...

Most simple solution: A rectifier bridge and two 12V LEDs in series.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

--
Disagree:

                For If = 20mA
               /
24VAC>---[620R]--+--[LED>]--+
          1/2W   |          |
                 +--[----------------------+
Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
Impmon

Blah last post got sent too quick.

24v AC can't be used to drive a single 12v LED for a good reason. The AC voltage is usually measured in RMS (Root Mean Square) and is not the same as peak voltage. With half a wave to light the LED, you would have an "average" voltage of 24v and peak voltage of about 34v and this will fry 12v LED quickly. A 620 ohms resistor above will help but l'd think 1k resistor is safer.

Putting 2 LEDs close together, 1 in reverse from other, will give the illusion they are always lit. If you use only 1 LED, you'll get a noticeable flicker like cheap LED christmas lights.

Reply to
Impmon

--
What kills LEDs (when charge is flowing through them in the forward
direction) is overheating because of excessive power dissipation,

Reply to
taurus