Cell phone fast charging circuits

Hello,

My Motorola phone supports "Turbo" charging, apparently charging my phone at 9-12V after establishing a secret handshake with the charger.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/turbopower

Is there a chip that performs this authentication?

I'd like to build a car charger for my phone without blowing it up, but I haven't seen any sample schematics.

All I've seen is a reference to a Qualcomm patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US9748788

Apparently Turbopower is compatible with the Qualcomm method.

Oh!  I found this too, which mentions details on the secret handshake:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tidu917/tidu917.pdf

but this seems odd to build a boost converter to boost 5V to 12V, especially if vehicle power is available at 12-14V already.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: Cell phone fast charging circuits

I may have answered my own question...
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Power-Integrations/CHY100D?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsfD%252bbMpEGFJa7H9npwZ8pUPWzL67uItEk%3d

Input voltage specs seem a little low for vehicle use though.  I guess I'll need a Buck after all...

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/328/chiphy_family_datasheet-269468.pdf

Michael

Re: Cell phone fast charging circuits

And that led me to...
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/631/ACT4526_Datasheet-1291191.pdf

from this list:
https://active-semi.com/products/dcdc-converters/high-power

Re: Cell phone fast charging circuits

Well good, I'm glad that's cleared up.
Always happy to help.  :^)

George H.

Re: Cell phone fast charging circuits

Many thanks :D

Sometimes researching while writing a question clears things up.

Although, I'm surprised I haven't found many amateur circuit builders playing with the ACT4526 or the CHY100D...

Michael D.

Re: Cell phone fast charging circuits
Sure I find the same thing... I start writing a question to SED and
half way through my brain comes up with what might be the answer.

George H.

Re: Cell phone fast charging circuits

On that note, I did some tests to see if the TurboCharging is worth it or if it's all in my head.

The 2.1A charger gave me a linear charge rate charging my phone from 55% battery to 81%, and charged at a rate of 0.68% per minute.

My Motorola Turbo Charger gave me a linear charge rate from 53% to 77% and charged at a rate of 1.4% per minute, then slowed down after 77%.  This is more than twice as fast as the 2.1A charger.

Michael

Site Timeline