Phone charging

if I connect the red 5v+ wire (pin4) from the peripheral connector on a at x pc power supply to the red wire on a USB cable and the black com wire(pin 2 or 3) from the peripheral connector on a atx pc to the black wire on a USB cable will this charge my phone when I put the power supply on and usb connector in my phone? Or do i have to insert other components in between? thx in advance

Reply to
vdvbert

If you get the pinouts on mini or microusb correct, no problem. Most phone chargers are dumb and just output 5 to 5.2 volts.

a fuse would be a good thing to add if you're connecting directly to your powers supply. Standard USB ports on your computer are current limited or protected. 1 amp should be fine, it's just to prevent fireworks if the cable or connectors get damaged.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Not clear what you're trying to accomplish. Do you wish to replace a wall-wart phone charger with a big honkin' ATX power supply? If so, be aware that, while the power supply standard suggests that you can get a stable 5V output with no other load, there's a lot of non-standard stuff goin' on in the highly competitive PC market. Saving a dime on the design and have it still work in its target PC is small comfort if the thing misbehaves in YOUR application. Or if the technician copying the copy of a design screwed it up.

Why would you risk an expensive phone on a clunky solution? Risk may be low, but the consequences might be devastating to the phone. Wall-Warts are dirt cheap.

And chargers are not all dumb. I've got phones that complain if you plug in a charger it doesn't recognize.

Reply to
mike