Capacitor-selection

For my next project I've just built a PSU using a small 9V-transformer. Hooking it up to a Graetz-bridge for rectification, I measure 9.5 volts over Vcc/GND (i.e. over "+" and "-" on the bridge) using my DMM.

Now I'm going to add filter caps. What I'm unsure of here is if

10v-ratings will work, or if 0.5 volts is a way too small safety margin. I have big (~4000uF) 10v-caps in my junkbox, and since the junkbox serve a purpose (using older but working components) I feel that I want to pick those instead of new 16v-rated caps instead.

So, will 10v-ratings work or will it be a too narrow margin?

--
Rikard.
Reply to

Hi, Rikard. You know what? Your peak rectified voltage is already more than 10V. The DMM is reading the average DC, not peak. Once you add a cap you'll see close to the peak voltage, which will go up substantially.

It looks like you'll have to spring for the higher voltage caps. Sorry.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

A 9 volt AC sine wave swings from +1.414*9 to -1.414*9 or

+-12.7 volts. A 9 volt transformer under no load may produce something like 110% of 9 volts (the rated voltage is produced at full rated current load), so those peaks might by more than a volt higher than that, approaching 14 volts. And sometimes the line voltage will be a bit higher than normal. The rectifier will waste somewhere between a volt and 2 volts of the transformer output, and the capacitor will tend to charge up to the peak of the rectified output, under light load. I would go with at least a 15 or 16 volt capacitor (little cost or size penalty for using a 25 volt unit), at about 4000 uF per ampere of expected output current. Expect to get a DC output current of only about 50 to 60% of the AC current rating of the transformer secondary.
Reply to
John Popelish