weirdly behaving mosfet

dual lab supply for the 12V and the gate

voltage

linear

s.

e gate.

eft a space on the printed circuit board where you could fit a resistor big enough to stop the oscillation. We had enough trouble with oscillating MOS FETs (sometimes when purchasing changed the supplier without telling engine ering) that this became something hard to distinguish from a company standa rd.

Originally the series gate resistor was used to damp the turn-on ringing ca used by the gate capacitance and lead inductance R>2 x sqrt(L/C). There was never a problem with a FET oscillating on its own with its gate driven by a broadband low impedance source.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I agree but, the whole saga started becuase the fet behaved like that when mounted in a Peavey class-d amplifer, that has +/-1A gate drive and a 6.8R gate resistor

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

@gmail.com:

in:

arkin:

nsen

down, a dual lab supply for the 12V and the gate

e gate voltage

e, load is

o zero verified with a meter doesn't turn off the FET the current just drop s to 200mA and the fet start cooking

of MHz

tly

d amplifier

is demo is unrepresentative of the MOSFET properly mounted.

n mounted in a Peavey class-d amplifer, that has +/-1A gate drive and a 6.8 R

Okay, that part is a defective design and needs to be blacklisted. Whatever the self-oscillation is, it must be high, like on the order of 100MHz, and that has always presented a problem with channel currents becoming concent rated in a smaller area, so the effect on heating and damage is much more t han a power supply readout would indicate.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Den onsdag den 27. september 2017 kl. 19.56.20 UTC+2 skrev bloggs.fred...@g mail.com:

..@gmail.com:

rkin:

sen

Larkin:

tensen

l-down, a dual lab supply for the 12V and the gate

the gate voltage

rom

age, load is

to zero verified with a meter doesn't turn off the FET the current just dr ops to 200mA and the fet start cooking

e of MHz

ently

s-d amplifier

This demo is unrepresentative of the MOSFET properly mounted.

hen mounted in a Peavey class-d amplifer, that has +/-1A gate drive and a 6 .8R

er the self-oscillation is, it must be high, like on the order of 100MHz, a nd that has always presented a problem with channel currents becoming conce ntrated in a smaller area, so the effect on heating and damage is much more than a power supply readout would indicate.

he showed it on a scope, a little over 2MHz in the bench test

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

te:

e:

sse

a dual lab supply for the 12V and the gate

e voltage

in linear

ons.

the gate.

left a space on the printed circuit board where you could fit a resistor b ig enough to stop the oscillation. We had enough trouble with oscillating M OSFETs (sometimes when purchasing changed the supplier without telling engi neering) that this became something hard to distinguish from a company stan dard.

caused by the gate capacitance and lead inductance R>2 x sqrt(L/C). There w as never a problem with a FET oscillating on its own with its gate driven b y a broadband low impedance source.

That wasn't our experience. Maybe our load resistors were wire-wound and in ductive, or something equally trivial, but there were a dozen or so enginee rs who ended up being neurotic about the problem ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to