Want to buy: Pilot light lens cap

We are in the process of refurbing several GR instruments, especially

1311a's. Several are missing the 5/8 inch diameter hemispherical plastic pilot light threaded lens caps.

Newark sells these for a mere $320 plus shipping on four month nonrefundable delivery, but they may be the wrong size.

Any sane sources on this item, new or used? Color not critical, white preferred.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Sound like they need to build a mold to make them.

How about making one with 3D printer?

Reply to
linnix

linnix schrieb:

Hello,

well, if the surface quality of the parts from the 3D printer is sufficient. The voxel size might be a problem at the thread.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

For $320/per, I'm tempted to offer the same deal and make them by hand!

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Like Tim said, you can always fix/polish it by hand. 3D printing should give the base frame to work on. Perhaps, they are doing it for $320 each.

Reply to
linnix

Actually the best way to do this for a handful of them is probably to make a mold out of aluminum or brass ('cause it's easy to machine), cast them out of optically clear epoxy ('cause you can do it at room temperature by hand), then thread each one as a post-molding process.

About the only special piece of equipment you should need would be a vacuum pump to pull the bubbles out of the mix before you cast the parts.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

--
Newark sells some 5/8" diameter domes:

http://www.newark.com/catalog_130/index.html?page=1360

There's no thread size information from them or from Ozram-Sylvania,
but there's a contact page:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/about/Pages/contact-us.aspx
Reply to
John Fields

I probably have 2 or 3 buried somewhere. However, if you want to pick an choose, do an image search for "5/8 pilot light lens". The first few look like they'll lead to a better source of parts such as:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Suggest the cheapest source is to buy old Heathkit oscilloscopes. Unscrew the oscilloscope from the pilot light lens and discard.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Perhaps this would work for you? It has a metal threaded part, and the listing doesn't give the sizee. A phone call or email might get more info.

Cheers, Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

--
I've just unscrewed one from my trusty SG8, and the thread  appears to
be 0.557" dia x 28tpi.

plastic

I know a place that may have one or two large boxes of complete lamp socket assemblies and possibly a bag of lenses. They are removed from equipment

being retrofitted, and might be available or cheap. They are mostly red and amber, perhaps a few green and white.

Or you can order single pieces rom Allied for $0.39 each, any color you want except black:

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen