Ultra-low power switching boost converter - in a DIP - Page 2

Re: Ultra-low power switching boost converter - in a DIP

QFNs have pads and toe lengths and tolerances as well.  I believe the
difference ends up being 2 mm which is the extent of the leads on the
QFP.  So for smaller devices this can be appreciable but much less an
issue with larger packages like a 48 or 64 pin device.

Or worse.  My typical designs have very limited space and the loss of
room for vias is a problem with QFNs.  I like them, but mostly for
smaller parts like 20 pin parts.  I like BGAs a lot less.  Mostly they
require finer pitch lines and spaces as well as micro vias driving up
the cost of the PCB.

I've never found a problem with that.  Buses are a bit dated unless you
are designing with external memory, not my typical design.  Otherwise I
find I can assign the I/O to suit my board routing.  Heck, when I design
with FPGAs, I do a schematic and then redo the pinout to optimize my
board routing.  Some designs just would not fit on the board if I
didn't, at least not without more layers.

How can you care about routing three signals?  What would you expect for
a pinout?

I use FPGAs a lot more than micros.  FPGAs will do anything a typical
MCU will do, but not the converse.  MCUs are useful if you need a lot of
complex software to do the job.  It would be hard to implement an IP
stack in VHDL... unless you implement a CPU which I have done.
Sometimes it's just easier to include it in the FPGA than to add another
device and programming port and crystal and...

--

Rick C

Re: Ultra-low power switching boost converter - in a DIP

Bullshit.  They're completely different packages.

Re: Ultra-low power switching boost converter - in a DIP

upside down. put a 1mm wire across the centre pad and solder the ends
down, use finer wires for the other pads.

Re: Ultra-low power switching boost converter - in a DIP
Jasen Betts says...

 > upside down. put a 1mm wire across the centre pad and
 > solder the ends down, use finer wires for the other
 > pads.

I would never have thought of that, I'm ashamed to say.
Thanks very much.

Re: Ultra-low power switching boost converter - in a DIP

Yes it should be doable though not much fun. Similar to one of my
masterpieces

<
http://ee.devereux.me.uk/ADS7947.jpg

--