transistor Help

Hello,

I have a home irrigation controller hat has gone faulty on one of the zones, I have opened it up and have found one of the transistors to be faulty there is a number on the transistor but it looks like its a part number from the manufacturer of the irrigation unit rather then the actual part number of the transistor.

The number written on it is 1401ES or 1401E5 cant make out if its a 5 or an S but looks like an S to me and sound like it might be an NPN transistor.

The purpose of this transiston from what I can tell from the board is to turn a solenoid on and off.

The Irrigation unit is made by Holman Distributors.

Thanks Imran Khan

Reply to
Imran

Try news:sci.electronics.repair for your problem. This is a design newsgroup.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If the solenoids are 12 volt DC you can buy one from

or many other sources - maybe even Radio Shack. But you'll need to figure out if it's PNP or NPN and you'll need a meter for that.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I am playing with an irrigation controller as we speak for controlling my pool solar array and pumps. In my investigation I figured out the last driver is actually a triac (valves are 24vac). They use a transistor to hit the triac. If it is really the triac that is bad just about anything that is good for a couple amps at 40-50v will work with a little cushion to spare. Do you have a meter or a scope? Look at a working zone to see what it is doing.

Reply to
gfretwell

Is there a newsgroup that deals with micro controller development that is better suited for my question?

I'll repost it if you would like.

Best, Dan.

Reply to
Dan Bloomquist

I don't know how busy they are but there are a couple you should consider. comp.arch.embedded alt.microcontrollers.8bit

OTOH plenty of ppl with such experience post here anyway.

Didn't you say you were looking at the MSP430 ? Plenty of knowledge here.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The group I recommended is a good source for identifying components in consumer electronics.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks. I'll see if 8bit is applicable but the other is.

Yea, I ordered the stick today. Should get it on the 24th. If it is as easy as they say it is, it should be the ticket.

Best, Dan.

Reply to
Dan Bloomquist