Tomorrow's battery medium

This will change a lot.

<https://labsscience.wordpress.com/2018/10/12/korean-researchers-develop-
carbon-tube-catalyst/>

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium
On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 02:15:04 +0000 (UTC),

Fuel cells have been hype since 1838. Probably always will be.

"The team developed a new process that minimizes heat treatment and
maximizes the production of Amp per hour..."

Amp per hour?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium

"What's silly is than nobody here, except me so far, will even consider new ideas about internet security. Or new ideas about most anything.

Are my ideas stupid? Suggest something better. Playing around with
ideas is how design happens.

I guess people who do have ideas haven't time for usenet."

Some people can't follow their own advice.

Rick C.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

deve

  There is hardware around that would have caught that hack if it ever
got fired up.  It is called cybersecurity and they analyze the power
signature of a rack of gear and can detect a hack by detecting the
change in the signature.

  There are also state of the art true random number generators out
there.  My Xeon laptop I type this on has hardware level security
features.  But you'll likely deny they exist.

  No.  The fact that you are unaware of what is already in the channel
is pretty stupid though.  Makes you sound like SkyTard Flying.

http://helper.ipam.ucla.edu/publications/scws4/scws4_6650.pdf

https://www.pfpcyber.com/

  Depending on whom is doing the playing.

  More flawed logic.

  You can't see the world unfold right in front of your face.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium
* ASSumes the "blackbox had no undesirable modifications BEFORE the
"security" blanket mod.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium
@fx48.iad:

If the chip gets remotely activated and has yet to be...

  Perhaps it is you doing the ASS-fuming.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium
-

You have to take climate change seriously - as opposed to gullibly swallowi
ng denialist propaganda - to realise that serious money is getting interest
ed in the hydrogen economy, which does depend on fuel cells.

Lots of people are playing around with techniques for getting cheaper elect
rodes.

English language science journalists don't know enough about science to get
 units right. It's a bit rich when John Larkin - who doesn't know enough ab
out science to know when he is being bamboozled by denialist pseudo-science
 - gets finicky about journalist's short-comings.

--
Bill Sloman, suydney

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium

develop-

  It is Korea, you ignorant ditz.  You cannot remember badly worded
motherboard manuals, etc.?

  Your claim of electrical engineering knowledge has been hype ever
since you first made it.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium

"The production of Amp per hour"??

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium
On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 10:47:05 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

Amps per hour is dI/dT.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium
Dare one suspect that the Korean middle-schooler didn't know the English
term 'ampere-hour'?

Surely not, surely not.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

More likely a graduate of a Korean journalism school.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium
On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 16:17:18 -0700, John Larkin

Or the NYT.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium

Misheard Ampere Hour ?

piglet

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium

No, (hydrogen) fuel cells are hardware.   Hype (hyperbole) is language style.

Hydrogen is not a common household item, but it's less dangerous than
(for instance) acetylene or 'town gas'.   Like steam, it works well in large
installations, but isn't a good way to power a submarine.

Power grids, spacecraft, and trains use fuel cells now; trucks are
in the near-future, according to Toyota.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium

Of course nuclear subs are powered by steam. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

  You may think it a joke, but that is a true statement.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium
I know.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Does anyone still distribute town gas? I thought that disappeared
around 1960.

   Like steam, it works well in large

It's mostly insanely expensive demos, except in spacecraft that can
afford it. Where is the hydrogen going to come from?

It's always "in the near future." I've been hearing about the
immediate bright future of fuel cells most of my life. Sure, it might
happen some day, but the hype level is eternal. Nanotubes and
nanoparticles are the flavor of the day.

Wake me up when it's commercially viable.

Re: Tomorrow's battery medium

Electrolytic cells driven by wind and a solar power (when the wind is blowing and the sun is shining). Batteries return about 80% of the power put, hydrogen closer to 25%, but it still beats growing corn or sugar cane to ferment into fuel alcohol.

If only we could. The handsome princess isn't likely to want to kiss you.

The casket of your inflated self-esteem is going to get in the way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Site Timeline