Today's google

Today's google is pretty cool. It is also interactive.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

What you think is "cool" probably smells like rancid shit to any normal person.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Soon google will be even cooler. As in 'truth filter'. So cool, I won't touch it anymore.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

Where have you been for the last decade?

Reply to
krw

@google, why? (did I miss something?)

Reply to
Joe Hey

Apparently the last decade or two. Google is the atheists of "Don't be evil."

Reply to
krw

Just to be sure I got you right: Do you mean Google = 'good'?

In that case I wonder where you've been the last months. Google announced it would rank search results according to 'truth value'. That means they will decide what is the truth, and give their version of the 'truth' a higher position in your search's results.

Not something I'd be looking forward to.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

Amen

Reply to
M Philbrook

antithesis ^ | Does this help? (speelczechers!)------------------------+

I haven't used Google in, well, I've never used Google for searching.

Reply to
krw

I gave up on Google many years ago. They've been censoring stuff they don't like from their search results since 2009 if not before, to my certain knowledge. There are way better options out there. I quite like Majestic 12, which is distributed and thus much harder to compromise. But most of the time I'll just use duckduckgo.com which seems fine for run of the mill stuff at least.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

}snip{

I thought duckduckgo was the anonymized un-cookied version of google?

'Majestic 12'? Google (duckduckgo) returned nothing but UFO's, so they must be truthfully existing, lol.

I have tried to use YaCy years ago, didn't work very well by then, but thanks for the lead, I think I'll give it a try.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 14:13:47 +0000, Joe Hey Gave us:

You don't get it.. Cookies or not, if *they* filter the "results"

*they* provide, then it is censored data. It matters not whether they get back data from the requestor. What matters is that they do not give the full set of data retrieved.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I've been using IXQuick since someone here mentioned it a few months back. I haven't found it lacking.

Reply to
krw

I think you're getting mixed up with startpage.com

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You are totally right. But then, I didn't say I use duckduckgo.com . He did, and I'm telling him that it's basically the same as google. Just as startpage iirc.

And I doubt it's really anonymized. I remember a 'reliable Swiss' company providing paid-for secure encryption services. Later it turned out that indeed they didn't send the unencrypted messages to the NSA, just 'only' the keys...

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

I'm not clear. I thought search results have always been ranked. How can they not be ranked? They have to be presented in some order, no? This ranking is what you are calling censorship, no?

--

Rick
Reply to