Google Earth

Thanks Google!!!

You updated your Google Earth plugin this morning and now our app won't run anymore. I guess I could understand it if we were using some of the more esoteric features, but all we're doing is the very basics. A little easy javascript, and some WPF, no big deal. Oh, and while I'm at it, a BIG thank-you for providing no option to forego the forced upgrade (with no notice), and no ability to roll-back to the prior plugin that worked just fine.

So, we're dead in the water here -- until we figure out what you did, and work around it.

Reply to
mpm

Guess they're wise to you ;)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Google Earth 6.0.3.2197 Build Date 5/17/2011 Build Time 2:19:09 am Renderer DirectX 9 Operating System Microsoft Windows (6.1.7601.1) Video Driver 000010DE (00008.00017.00011.09745) Max Texture Size 8192x8192 Server kh.google.com

Is yours later?

Reply to
John S

I am sure it is a simple update to a script where you made a direct call you should never have made to begin with.

Reply to
Hellequin

He said THE PLUG-IN, not your baseline application.

Reply to
Hellequin

Google forced me to use their login for my Panoramio account and lost all my pictures. What happened to "do no evil"?

John

Did you really only have one copy of your pictures?

--
John G.
Reply to

Of course not, I have backups scattered all over the state of California. But the ones that were public, and the ones on Google Earth, aren't there any more. I suppose I'll have to start a web site as a place to post my pics.

John

on 13/11/2011, John Larkin supposed :

Sorry, It just sounded like you lost the lot and not just that Set on GE Which I must say I wondered about for someone whose notes I read often.

--
John G.
Reply to

Yes, but I was talking about Google Earth Plugin, not Google Earth itself. They are different things. But here's my GE info:

Google Earth: 6.1.0.4857 (beta) Build Date: 10/1/2011 Build Time: 2:34:21 am Renderer: DirectX 9 Operating System: Microsoft Windows (5.1.2600.3) Video Driver: 00001002 (00006.00014.00010.06783) Max Texture Size: 8192x8192 Server: kh.google.com

The Plugin, available at link below, is version 6.1.0.5001

Link:

mpm

[snip]

My thoughts exactly - but I'll be damned if I can find it!!!

Reply to
mpm

I have a Panoramio account as well, and was pretty "into-in" back when I needed an "excuse" to go out with the camera. :) But about a year or so back, Panoramio did something to their automatic geo-coding interpretation of the EXIF data that caused a large number of uploaded photos to appear in the wrong places on the map. So, that pretty much killed it for me.

Actually, you can add all the realtors to that justification too. They would take their listings, and try to use Google Earth / Panoramio as their own personal free advertising service. If you wanted to kill time, it used to be somewhat fun to take a virtual tour someplace, but when all you see are real estate ads, it kinda sucks the life out of it.

Reply to
mpm

It's been my experience if a COMX file is involved, updated versions also get updated GUID numbers. Maybe you should check on that? If that applies to you.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I work pretty much without using Google since a few weeks. Guess what, it didn't have any negative impact but more of a positive one. Search result are now without a strong commercial twang, for example. A lot of stuff at Google has gone downhill lately, IMHO. For example, in the good old days you could look up an address and then print out a map. It was clearly readable while driving, even in not so great light conditions. Then, printing became a lot more cumbersome. It's now to the point where the two lines that represent streets are no longer visible, meaning almost useless.

My impression is that this company is past prime.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe they're collecting a subsidy from the makers of color toner$$$. ;-)

It's $1,750 for a set of four on the big printer I somtimes use to print out google maps.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Okay, I understand now. As it turns out, I also have the plug-in but it is version 1.0.0.1

Good luck.

Reply to
John S

:

Curiously, the plugin works (same machine) if I use FireFox. F---ing Explorer. What a POS!

Reply to
mpm

I tried it last month, had to delete it so firefox would work again.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I just took a look. You're right. My stuff is still there, though.

Google maps no longer works for me, since they went in for more and more esoteric Javascript. I absolutely refuse to go on yet another dependencies chase to "upgrade" my browser to suit their showoff script kiddies.

Interestingly, one of my more popular pictures, correctly mapped according to lat and long, on US6, about halfway between Tonopah, NV, and Ely, NV, is stated to be in Pahrump, NV. It's about a four hour drive from there.

Panoramio was much better before they more closely integrated with Google.

I use Ixquick for searches, now.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

ll

.

=A0 =A0(Richard Feynman)

Speaking of which.... and maybe this deserves its own thread?

But why does the decimal minutes format even exist? I see it all the time on GPS units and mapping programs. I can't think of a single useful purpose for that format.

Give me degree-minutes-seconds, or decimal degrees, please. At least you can run distance calculations with those.

Reply to
mpm