Thompson Clan Spreading Out

You can determine IQ based on a photograph? Wow, you *are* good!

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

has

upt

et

Interesting concept. IQ is number. Finger and toes are body parts.

We've known for years that krw is cognitively challenged, but this exhibits even more confusion than we have come to expect.

Krw might have intended to post "the number of your figner and toes" which is usually 20, but IQ is a quotient, so an IQ score of 1.00 denotes the mea n of the tested population, so an IQ of 85 is actually a test score 0.85, w hich is one standard deviation lower than the mean. An IQ scores of 20.85 w ould be improbably high - IQ test scores stop meaning very much at 1.30 - t wo standard deviations above the mean, and you've got to be silly enough to want to join Mensa if you take them seriously.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
'

He likely "resisted", the thing black people are never supposed to do lest they get shot.

Reply to
bitrex

Automatic cost reduction... "but he was such a good boy"... ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Wow,to keep your shirt that clean,you dont do shit for work. Tell him to get his paws dirty, will you?

.
Reply to
Sjouke Burry

but he was such a good boy"... with a clip in his pocket?? ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

tirsdag den 26. juni 2018 kl. 01.34.19 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

:

s like the plague to that state government and even worse in certain cities etc. They literally tore a guy's car apart just because he was on record a s having a CCW. Didn't even bring any guns because he didn't want any probl ems.

ey tore his car apart "just because" he had a CCW. I *lot* of people have CCWs and they don't all have their cars torn apart. So clearly there must have been something else as well.

paper clip?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I can believe it in Connecticut. New England is home to more racists than any other area of the country.

Reply to
krw

than any other area of the country. "

Sorry, I was mistaken. It was Massachusetts.

This doesn't contain everything I read in the original article(s), they said the cops really tore up his car, left his food out of the coolers to spoil and all that. and they never have to pay for that shit.

Usually I know how to handle them, but some just have this attitude.

Reply to
jurb6006

New England is full of fantastically wealthy people. They're pragmatists who mostly vote for whomever keeps their taxes low. Other than that

Race? Constitution? Immigration? Gun control? To them these are things poor people fret about, they make their own reality.

Reply to
bitrex

The old "joke" used to be that in the South blacks and whites lived in the same neighborhoods but wouldn't work together, but in the North blacks and whites worked together but wouldn't live in the same neighborhoods.

It's not much true anymore in 2018, low-income blacks and whites near universally live in the suburbs together along with most other types of people. The inner cities aren't where you find ghettos but million-dollar condos and Maseratis.

Reply to
bitrex

There are probably more extremists of all types in New England, something about the 6 months a year of freezing cold and perpetual darkness.

Reply to
bitrex

To be fair he probably owns more than one shirt.

Reply to
bitrex

It's still true. I've never heard the 'N' word as much as I did when I lived in NE.

Reply to
krw

You can hear it plenty at Gillette Stadium for sure, everyone shows up any given Sunday to cheer on the #blacklivesmatter Patriots and long-time Hillary Clinton supporter Tom Brady.

Reply to
bitrex

Diversion noted.

Reply to
krw

You don't sound very happy.

lunatic fringe electronics

If you were unhappy, and are happy now, you make my point: smart people can usually use their intelligence to figure out how to manage their emotions to produce happiness. So often they don't.

Mo is pretty good to wake up with. She does her cute yoga stuff while I make coffee.

Some days are exciting, like inventing stuff or hiking [1] or skiing. And some days I have conference calls or proposals to write. Checking BOMs is about the worst.

[1] specifically, exploring all the weird and wild parts of San Francisco.

lunatic fringe electronics

The reason that there are so many studies associating intelligence with psychological problems is that nobody is interested in studying or reading a study connecting stupidity with psychological issues.

It's much the same with popular magazines, such as Psychology Today, which generally fail to sell to fairly normal readers. However, they do well selling to marginal paranoids and hypochondriacs who are searching for something wrong with themselves, but more commonly, something wrong with the friends, relatives, associates, co-workers, etc. Reading through any issue is guaranteed to produce the desired "what's wrong with me or them?" reaction, which can only be satiated by purchasing the advertisers products or services. The above article is typical. While research studies usually end in "more research is necessary", Psychology Today articles usually end in a pointer to their advertisers. In this case it's "A health care professional can provide more information". If the reader fails to understand what is meant by a health care professional, there are advertisements on the web page for Cosentyx (for psoriatic arthritis a condition that is affected by mood) and service company offering to cure unspecified addictions.

Depression does run high in smart people. However, most studies attempting to demonstrate the connection fail to understand which is the cause and which is the effect. Just because many smart people show signs of depression, doesn't mean that a high IQ is the cause of depression. For example, smart people tend to take their profession, relationships, and politics seriously. A smart person will be able to understand the past causes and future repercussions of events and things that don't quite go according to plan. They may be disappointed by not achieving their expectations. Or, they may have set their goals too high. So, when things fail, they get depressed. The depression was not caused by the high IQ, but rather by excessive analysis and unrealistic expectations.

Contrast that to Joe SixPack, who's goals change overnight, who is not expected to accomplish great things, and who's understanding of events is based on what he's fed by the popular media. He'll never get depressed until he's hit over the head by something (or someone) that demonstrates that his fundamental assumptions are faulty. Of course, nobody is going to study depression among the lower forms of life because Joe SixPack does not read Psychology Today and is unlikely to be able to afford the advertised professional help.

Now that I've probably sent half of those reading this rant into a psychological tailspin, allow me to offer some hope and suggestions to the intelligent.

- When reading Usenet articles and popular magazines, ask yourself, some penetrating questions like: What is the author selling? What is he trying to accomplish? Who's paying for the research? Who is the article addressing?

- Does the article make sense? Does the logic hold together? Does the author mix cause and effect? Are there any logical fallacies?

- What's missing? Often, an argument will favor a point of view by simply omitting everything favorable to the opposite position.

Once you're able to understand how such things work, you'll be able to replace depression with a smug superior attitude, like I'm doing right now. Whether that's a good thing is questionable.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

There's a rather lucrative drug culture that suggests otherwise. Psychotropic drug use is increasing, the goal of which is to induce an artificial state of relative happiness. It's quite possible to be drugged all the time and presumably happy.