Steam Cleaning the Streets?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Those [of us] who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" -Edgar Allan Poe

If they are smart, they won't wake up the hobos before running the steam cleaner down the sidewalk.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ definition: recursion; see recursion.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I looked at the map and clicked on the streets, in an area about 4 square miles with a population density averaging 20,000/square mile they found approximately 50 discarded IV needles.

On the majority of streets they found generally fewer than 10 instances of feces of indeterminate origin, but it seems the Investigative Unit is reluctant to give their expert opinion on whether it was human or animal related.

There was also some trash found on most streets.

Had anyone working on that story been to a city before

Reply to
bitrex

{>:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

The news story claims "Over 100!" discarded IV needles found in the areas they surveyed but you can easily click through all the "red" streets in the map and see that the tally tops out at barely 50. And there are big clumps of 7 or 10 needles in some locations.

Pay one or two bums a couple bucks to dump their spent needles in a couple locations and hey presto you've got yourself a story. Extremely photogenic bags of needles spilled out and lying all over the place in the middle of the street waiting for a journalist to happen by are extremely _suspect_ they do that with gas masks at Pripyat near Chernobyl for the tourists

Reply to
bitrex

Whew! That's *SO* much better. Nice place to live, then.

Why bother paying them when they do it for you? Every day.

Reply to
krw

Doesn't seem that much better or worse than most cities of several million people. They found some trash on the street O M G

"Just Say No" was a fine anti-drug policy in the sense that it wasn't at all incorrect, even when primarily directed at the crack epidemic among the black population at the time, but with the opioid epidemic it seems white Americans have trouble taking their own advice

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, HIV is nothing more than a common cold, too.

Sure, change the subject when you're losing.

Reply to
krw

And you have an army of well-paid attorneys, consultants, NGOs, providers, and city staffers actually soaking up the funding.

We never go downtown. That's for bankers and tourists. Our neighborhood is green, quiet, clean, and safe.

I've never seen a needle on Ohlone Way. You might get stuck picking blackberries.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

One issue is that is usually doesn't rain in SF between April and November. So sidewalks get dirty and oil builds up on the streets. The first big rain of winter can be interesting.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 2:43:12 PM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrot e:

team

I wonder how krw thought that he'd found that implication in what has been posted. He's certainly not going to tell us.

Krw thinks that anybody who argues with him is losing - whereas nobody both ers arguing with him at all and he just posts his posturings as if they wer e arguments. It isn't as if he can post an actual response to anything anyb ody else says. His brain doesn't seem to have absorbed any new information for some decades now, or if it has his output doesn't suggest that he has p rocessed any of it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's a histrionic "story" crafted to play well with histrionics of all political persuasions, left or right few Americans can seem to resist a good "OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" tale.

Meanwhile I'd estimate statistics on the number of children who could be confirmed to have caught the AIDS or any infectious disease from any discarded IV needle in SF or any other large city for that matter is likely pretty close to 0.

Also they seem to have inflated the number of needles found from the data points on the map to the TV story by a factor of 2. Maybe some would shrug and say so what it's bad either way but IMO the media deserves to get the side-eye when they do things like that, regardless of what the story is about.

Reply to
bitrex

That statistic is probably accurate. However, it is pretty unpleasant to find discarded needles around the place, especially if you are talking about parks, schools, kindergartens, etc. This applies whether you are a child, adult, or whatever.

Of course, it is not the only thing left lying around by inconsiderate people - dog turds probably lead to far more infections (they used to be the leading cause of childhood blindness), and cigarette stubs abound in some places.

Reply to
David Brown

There is the serial pooper phenomenon going on now. I know how to cure them permanently of their problem, it requires them to wear a bag for the rest of their life.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The HIV virus is fragile out on its own.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nearly all dog owners here carry plastic bags and pick up after their dogs. Nobody picks up after the birds, cats, coyotes, raccoons, possum, squirrels, or the small rodents.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yep. People still have quasi-mystical ideas about "germs", "contamination", and the causes of illness that don't have a lot to do with reality. But infectious disease science is still a pretty new development in the scheme of human history

Reply to
bitrex

Den onsdag den 21. februar 2018 kl. 17.18.30 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

yeh

"the average risk of contracting HIV through sharing a needle one time with an HIV-positive drug user is 0.67 percent"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If the needle has been lying out in the street for some time, it's much less.

The San Francisco voters are mainly idiots, but once in a while they do good. Proposition M drew a hard line around "downtown" and limited high-rise construction to that zone. So all the Manhattinization is confined. So downtown gets taller and denser and uglier, and the rest of the city still has quiet neighborhoods and wilderness.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You forgot deer. It's everywhere around our house. They really like the flower beds. I guess they poop when they eat.

Reply to
krw