Sorta-OT: Movies and Electronic Design

You haven't seen a Die Hard movie. ;-)

"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to *DIE*". ...and then he leaves.

So are the plots, with tens of people involved.

Don't forget the media. Need bait, too.

Reply to
krw

...or Flesh Gordon. Oh, wait...

Reply to
krw

Enhancing crappy surveillance camera images from Kilopixels to Gigapixels. Cell phones, GPS devices, etc working far underground. Car tires squealing on dirt roads. Lissajous figures on o'scopes. The list is always growing with each new movie/episode. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Strangely, no.

Now, if the _men_ were showing cleavage, _that_ would be weird.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

--
My pet peeves are the bungled PPI RADAR scans.
Reply to

Like a tunnel with a repeater?

You can squeal tires on hard packed clay or sand. I've done it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You don't even take a second look? :)

Wouldn't that depend on how much cleavage? Old guys can get a little flab there, but DD's WOULD be a jaw dropper. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Never heard of a repeater, huh? ;-) It took me a while to figure out why my cell phone's GPS worked so well at work (it's a metal building, after all). It suddenly dawned on me that there are people designing the stuff. Of *course* there's a repeater. *D'oh*

Explosions in space. "Woosh" from the space ship.

Haven't seen that for a while.

I saw a new one last night. ...and ME putting a bullet that hit bone, back together to match ballistics.

Reply to
krw

Why wouldn't every GPS device receiving a signal from a repeater show the location of the repeaters GPS antenna? Or something totally BS? Oh, wait. We're talking movies here not reality. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Don't be so hard on Lissajous figures. I was using one such just this last Saturday, to good effect.

It turns out to be a very effective and sensitive way to check the cleanliness and frequency accuracy of the CTCSS sub-audible tone encoder on VHF portable radios. Set an FM service monitor's o-scope vertical axis to show the demodulated signal, feed the horizontal axis from a cheap audio player reproducing a 100 Hz sinewave tone from a FLAC file, and take a look at the resulting ellipse. Distortion and frequency error show up very quickly and clearly.

Dave Platt

At least the GPS will show that you are deeper under ground than in reality, due to the feeder cable velocity factor and how the cable is routed. Also the propagation delay in leaky feeder within the tunnel, will cause up to hundreds of meters of positional errors, since all the four satellite signals required for a fix are delayed by the same amount.

Reply to
upsidedown

nah, the GPS only sees the time between of the signals from the different satellites and that isn't changed by the repeater

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com schrieb:

Hello,

no that is wrong. The GPS will show the position of the receive antenna of the repeater. The delay of the cable will add to all received GPS satellites signals and produce no shift of position.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

I never noticed that. Was that the original or the newer one?

Reply to
JW

I think the worst I've ever seen was in No Country For Old Men, where Chigurh blew up a car with the old stuff-a-rage-in-the-gas-filler schtick. I expect that sort of lameness from everybody in Hollywood

*but* the Coen Bros.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

In the cockpit of their fighters, original series. I had a good laugh when I saw it the first time and the other people in the room thought I was crazy.

I couldn't force myself to watch the newer crap

.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do they stick rags in the filler of cars and set them on fire very often?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don't care if it tells me the location of the building I'm in or which stall I used. It works and is cheaper than providing a GPS simulator for every engineer.

Reply to
krw

--
Not the worst, but the puff of smoke and the simultaneous sound of the
squeal when airplane tires hit the runway is always good for a

Ah, yes, that was quite a place, I was there about 35 years ago.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson