Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'cannot tell the time'

Ok, what time is it on these clocks? That's what might happen if "hands free" expands to clocks.

Personally, I don't see anything pathetic, tragic, or problematic with kids not knowing how to read an analog clock. If they needed to know the time from an analog clock, they would have learned how easily enough. To the average teenager, a smartphone, smartwatch, or other digital device is more than adequate. How many teenagers, that know how to use a digital calculator, need to know how to use a slide rule or abacus?

Analog clocks are slowly fading into obscurity and will soon join water clocks, sand clocks, sun dials, and such in obscurity. They will be replaced by digital clocks as found on the now ubiquitous smart phones and most electronics with an RTC (real time clock) inside. The same thing is happening to analog gas and electric dial meters, which are being replaced by digital smartmeters. I knew how to read these, but many otherwise competent individuals did not. (I wonder how well the UK skool teachers would do with these?)

One reason that analog clocks will slowly slide into extinction is cost. It costs nothing to add the time to the display of an electronic device, but it does cost to build a dedicated mechanical or electronic time display mechanism with moving parts. There's also the noise problem, where many analog clocks make irritating clicking sounds every second, which makes sleeping in class somewhat difficult. Plus, the cost of dedicated timepieces are also going up:

I suppose the digital clock will eventually meet its demise and be replaced by GPS augmented reality wired directly to your brain. Not only will you know what time it is by merely thinking about the time, but you'll also know exactly where you are located.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 8:54:55 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: [about obsolescence of how-to knowledge]

And, a slide rule can be adjusted to the LC product that tunes a tank circuit, so that one can read off the C value for a given inductor instantly, with hands free. You'll rarely see a capacitor with better accuracy than the slide rule offers.

Old technology isn't "just worse", it's DIFFERENT. If you lose use of it, your technical expertise is less. Manual can openers and vernier calipers oughtn't be inaccessible because of ignorance. Dial clocks, likewise.

Reply to
whit3rd

Or the software version: "pi=3 for some values of 3"

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On my Motorola/Lenovo smartphone you have to use a pictoral representation of an analog clock to set the phone's alarm anyway.

Reply to
bitrex

that

because of

to think it

ut the simple

r head like

achines are

ng other

habit to

n't going to happen. You, or at least I, need to be able to do the numbers.

inancially taken for a ride. I don't see that as a good thing, but obviousl y many do.

One can hope, but I'm not that optimistic. I see school leavers lacking a w ide array of very basic life skills nowadays.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't! I am merely stating what everyone with experience of Spice knows: you still need to be a designer to have any success using it.

Cursitor Doom

A psychogeriatrician I was chatting with at a barbeque once told me that often the very first sign of dementia is reading the time as if the clock were in a mirror, so all the numbers are transposed from left to right and vice-versa. So I can see the value of getting the patient to complete blank clock faces when given times as part of an early assessment.

Cursitor Doom

Right. That's why they think they're better at running our lives than we are.

Reply to
krw

Even when said "ancient technology" is still useful.

For good reason. PS-4 isn't useful.

Reply to
krw

The women tend to not be as overweight as many other parts of the US also which is a nice benefit if you're a straight man. Ever been to the Deep South? Yikes. No wonder there are a lot angry men

Reply to
bitrex

200,000 (350M people, half drivers - half those regular drivers) maybe a gas station for every 2K regular drivers (7-days times 3-400/day?).

Probably twice that. 3-400 a day seems busy for anything other than Sams/BJs/Costco.

Reply to
krw

For sufficiently large values of '3'.

Reply to
krw

I don't see a problem:

No, someone with Alzheimer's does not read a clock backwards. What they do is confuse the hour and minute hands resulting in the wrong time. They also get confused from having every hour repeated twice per day which reverses AM and PM. 24 hr clocks do not help:

I had one of those backwards clocks in my bathroom for about 2 months. It was located behind me so that I could check the time while I was shaving. The theory was that if I could see the time, I wouldn't be as chronically late. It didn't work. I gave the clock to someone as a present.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Worse. Hand them the twenty, wait three seconds and then hand them the two dimes. There is a 99% chance that their eyes will roll back in their little snowflake heads.

Reply to
krw

Quite a lot of people are brighter than Cursitor Doom, and one consequence of that intelligence would be to give him as wide a berth as possible.

Bitrex won't have to hang around with a particularly bright crowd to have access to people who are easier to instruct than Cursitor Doom and the idiots prepared to put up with him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

What John Larkin means is that he hires candidates who are sufficiently skilled at flattery to take his silly ideas seriously, and give him the kind of answer that he clearly wants (even if it is laughably wrong).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I wish they'd stop telling krw that he shouldn't keep guns at home. The chance that he will use one of them to kill himself isn't high, but it's worth having.

Whether it's worth the smaller, but still significant, risk that he'll use them to kill a few of his nearest and dearest first is debatable.

The risk to whoever krw thinks he's defending himself against is utterly negligible, but krw is much too dim to ever work that out.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The more usual quote is that "experience is a dear school but fools will learn in no other". Benjamin Franklin is documented as saying it, but he probably wasn't the first. It also seems to be a Romanian proverb.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

Yes it's coincidentally around the same as the average number of hairs on a human head (another question)

Reply to
bitrex