Routing video (6MHz) on 4 layers

I need to get several video connectors to pins on an ADC. The physical constraints plus the muxing of the internal ADCs prevent me from avoiding crossovers in the routing.

The board stackup is sig/gnd/pwr/sig with the ADC on the top. There is nothing that needs the 3.3V power layer in that area, and there should be no current flowing across the 3.3V in that area, so I could notch it out between the connectors and the ADC.

Questions:

If I notch out the power in that area, leaving sig/gnd/sig, can I just treat the plane as a single reference and route on both signal layers? Or will the different distances between the signal layers and the gnd plane be a factor?

Should I just put a rectangle of gnd (going to sig/gnd/gnd/sig) into the notch in the power plane and stitch them together?

Is it worth keeping the video signal routing on the top layer at the expense of snaking it around a bit to untangle the routing?

And finally, the signals are terminated to 75R and then AC coupled to the ADC with .1u. How close do I really need the terminators to the ADC? Can they live near the connectors, leaving a few inches of trace to the ADC, or should I keep them as close as possible to the ADC?

Thanks!

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

On a sunny day (Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:52:08 -0600) it happened Ben Jackson wrote in :

I would put the 75 Ohm near the connectors, as the ADC is likely high input impedance. Then you have a volt or so, and no signal current loops. Then wire from the connectors + resistors to analog ground of the ADC. Keep video at top layer.

One issue is: are the video connectors connected to a metal front, and where is that front connected to the PCB? Or are you using isolated mounted connectors? etc. It is really difficult to answer without knowing distances, connector type, etc.. just think logically.

I have used isolated BNC connectors, and differential input (ground + signal) too in the past, with the resistor directly on the connector. But that had >100 meter cable with ground voltage differences relative to the other end...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

At 6 MHz, you can get away with some sloppiness in the form of non-ideal routing. I assume you are using 75 ohm traces, and I agree with Jan, that they should remain on the top if possible. Then you can ignore the power plane issues.

If you drop to the back side, the trace widths have to get wider to account for the larger separation. But you also have to chop up the power planes and/or stitch grounds together. All this is not unusual in a video/RF layout, but when you can avoid it, do so. If there are potential interferers along the path, then you may be forced to drop to the back for isolation. But first try to move the interferes to the back, especially if they are not analog signals.

I would put the 75 ohm termination close to the ADC. If you terminate at the connector, the entire routing path becomes high impedance (no current flow) and more noise-sensitive. Of course, at 6 MHz, the wavelength is much longer than your traces, so you can argue that the routing is not really a transmission line anyway. Again, some sloppiness is usually tolerable at these frequencies.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If the power plane is electrically quiet (well bypassed, and not expecting non-clock noise) then just treat it as another ground plane. If you're really worried about s/n, split the power plane and make it ground pours adjacent to your critical signals, and power elsewhere.

Yup, that's conservative. Lots of vias g-g.

Given the above, no.

Doesn't matter much, as long as the traces are short relative to the video bandwidth. If the signal risetime is fast enough to cause any serious reflections for your trace lengths, terminate at the ADC. I'd terminate near the ADC anyhow... it just feels better.

John

In that case I need bypass caps where the signals switch layers, right?

...which is much easier than lots of bypass caps.

That was my plan, although the point someone made about the terminators at the connectors keeping the current loop out of my routing sounds good. I suppose I could provide pads for both options and try it out.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Power planes should be whisper quiet and from an RF point of view behave like ground planes. If they don't then something needs to be done about it. More bypassing etc.

Ok, I know this sounds like a helicopter instructor telling his student: "If the ground approaches at an uncomfortable rate you need to do something against that."

Sure but if your power plane is "singing" you'll have a lot of other issues at hand.

You could but generally it is better to calculate the correct trace width for 75ohms or whatever your goal is and place the termination at the very end, right before the ADC. Mind the input capacitance of the ADC. Sometimes it helps to place a buffer right before the ADC.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If the power plane is bypassed in the usual manner, there's no need for extra bypasses near crossovers.

Yeah, if the layout allows it, the split plane with grounds opposite the signals is safer.

You'll likely see little difference, but if there is a difference, terminating at the ADC is probably a little better. It keeps from having that open stub flapping around.

John