Pyrography

Hello. Did any of you worked on pyrograph construction?

So, a not interested in the version with PC power supply ( maybe as last option ). I'm interested in to make this with some 24/10A transformer.

Now, i have few transformers in the garage ( 24V, one from the microwave, and last one is standard 12V/5A (that last one would probably be to weak for such project)

Has any of you done such things or can someone share some schematics ?

btw. am planning to put "cekas-kanthal" wire...

G.

Reply to
en2

Just a question - what would happen if one was to use a simple commercial lamp dimmer of the appropriate power rating on the primary of the transformer to adjust the power delivered to the heating loop?

Quick & dirty?

Reply to
Ken

Yes. It would probably blow the fuse or breaker instantly.

Reply to
Tom Swift

30+ years ago I had the idea to use a modulated laser to do such work. Not sure it is a good idea, I don't find a lot in a google search. Mikek
amdx

I made a hot wire cutter from a MOT and a commercial lamp dimmer years ago. Elegant? No. Quick & dirty? Yes. Blows fuses or pops breakers? No. Interferes with other electrical/electronic devices? No. The transformer does buzz a bit but it works fine. Caveat: I only use it for about 5 -10 minutes at a time. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Transformers tend to not get along with triac dimmers. Use a Variac into the transformer.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Nov 2014 13:27:31 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I was thinking about that. Long time ago I tried it, and it worked,. The thing to look out for is the triac does not fire symmetricaly in both the negative and positive cycle, you get DC in the transformer, saturation and bang,

Anyways it worked, maybe I was just lucky.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That works.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yep, I've seen it done before.

I'm sure it was in a commercial application but I cannot remember the application.

Reply to
Ken

True for many dimmers. But there are dimmers that are intended to work into transformers, such as low voltage under-cabinet lights. The dimmer feeds chopped line 120 Vac voltage to the transformer, which steps it down to 12 Vac for a string of incandescent lamps.

I like and use such dimmers made by Lutron.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

------------------------- Is there some schematics for such stuff. It's quite urgent so i dont have much time left for r&d..