Project report status - Free bird listening device for veterans.

Yeah, that is in Switzerland or Sweden, don't remember. But they said f*ck our copyright laws.

Anyway, you might be the person to answer this, this new hearing thingie, what if it was a kit ?

Reply to
jurb6006

I didn't know that; I'll investigate. Thanks.

Curiously the problem I have is the opposite. I have a cheap 8.3" 1920*1080 android tablet. Yes, I can use vnc to legibly replicate my desktop monitor, but my fingers don't make a good mouse! So I don't bother.

Regrettably many websites think it is a phone, which irritates me since I want the information and resolution.

That innumeracy is rare here, so far.

An entirely different point, but over here I find "yellow labels" very useful since they indicate food at the end of its shelf life. Looking only for such items has two major benefits (saving money being only a minor pleasure): - fewer items to look at, consider, then accept/reject, means faster shopping and fewer tedious decisions - I look at items I would normally ignore and have pleasant surprises; serendipity is a beautiful word and concept.

Yes to all those points.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Oh, I think I one up that, I watched 'Rumpole of the Bailey' while in my 30s. May be worth another run, now, in my 60s. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Carefully.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

In the Baltimore-DC area one of the PBS over-the-air stations devotes an entire channel to British programming. Channel 26-2, WETA-UK. All the Foyle's War episodes, the first several years of New Tricks and Midsomer Murders, the Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock series, etc. They finally bought another year of New Tricks but they keep cycling through the old ones so there's about 2-3 years of those I haven't seen. They added a couple more years of Midsomer Murders last year but are still short 4-5 years, so when Netflix got them I binge watched all but 2 or 3 at my sister's house last Christmas. I refuse to pay for TV so no cable, satellite, or streaming, just an antenna - I'm a curmudgeon about some things and watch too much TV as it is :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

I live ca 5 miles from the CO and my download is 1.8MBytes/sec on a fast server.

Re: In my 25 years of Usenet and the binary groups I don't recall of anyone having legal problems downloading questionable files. The only two big time up-loaders I know of that were getting any attention were Rockhound57 and one other person I can't recall. I don't think they were ever caught.

They were posting on 'alt.binaries.e-book.technical'. Some copyright lawyers were harassing the server owners and they just disappeared. Something very odd about these two. They were posting these high end big buck technical books. Perfect scans. I would guess they were somewhere in the print distribution chain and had access. An other odd thing was that his posts were up for many years while the rest were deleted. Low value posts deleted?

Reply to
gray_wolf

A properly setup proxy should work.

Reply to
gray_wolf

INAL (I am not a lawyer). It is my understanding that a kit is treated exactly the same as a finished product. If a kit were treated differently, then we would be inundated with almost finished products, lacking the installation of only one screw, which would be installed by buyer. That's not going to work. If you offer something for sale, whether it is complete or partly assembled, it comes under regulatory oversight. If you make something for yourself, and NOT offer it for sale, you can do almost anything that doesn't endanger the general public.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thanks for input Tom and others. I'm a little fuzzy on the difference. You prompted me to read up on it some. I would like to hear your point of vie w.

Looks like a loudness control might boost highs and lows. I would think th e Bass & Treble controls could also accomplish this - not sure tho. The Ma xim chip has AGC function which may be of some value. I am looking at placi ng some zeros in the amplifier in order to undo the roll off that I have fr om the NIHL - was a 5" gun mount that did it.

I do not intend to sell these if they are of any help. I would prefer to g ive them away.

Reply to
Yzordderrex

The tablet probably has BlueGoof built in. You can probably use a wireless BlueGoof mouse with tablet. If that doesn't work, you can insert a USB OTG adapter in the USB jack, and a wired USB mouse into the USB OTG adapter.

Genuine free unwanted advice: Dump the tablet and buy a decent Chromebook. You get a keyboard, mouse, 1920x1080 IPS screen, and more horsepower. About $200 refurbished: Any of the CB3-431-xxxx models will do as long as it has a 1920x1080 IPS display, 4GB of RAM, and 32GB of flash.

The only catch is that Google is going to stop updating Android for the CB3-431 in June 2021: Updates are important because much of my entertainment and income is derived from fighting new and improved bugs, weirdness, and oddities introduced by updates. I wouldn't know what to do with myself without updates.

One supermarket chain (Safeway) has taken advantage of that effect. When an item is discounted or goes on sale, it gets a yellow price tag for "club card" holders. Regular price tags are white. A few years ago, they introduced a "regular price" yellow price tag which looks very much like the yellow discount and is similarly installed on top of the regular white price tag. It's not difficult to distinguish between the two types of yellow cards. The idea is to hold the shoppers attention for an extended period while make the distinction. However, when half the items on the shelves have the "regular price" yellow tags, it makes finding the bargains substantially more difficult.

Math also comes into play when Safeway offers a reduced price. Instead of simply stating the new lower price, they provide it in a form that will certainly confuse the mathematically deficient shopper. Three items for $7 or some other combination that requires either thinking, guessing, or dragging out the smartphone calculator. After some complaints, Safeway now add the unit price in the smallest font that can only be read if the buyer fondles the produce and possibly using a magnifier.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The ear-brain is highly non-linear in ways that I only dimly comprehend. Consult textbooks and the literature for more information.

Start by understanding that the nominal frequency response is dependent on the amplitude.

Base/treble controls change the frequency response in the same way whatever the amplitude. Clearly that doesn't match the way the ear-brain perceives sound; in effect the "ideal" bass/treble control setting at one amplitude won't be the ideal setting at louder/softer amplitudes.

A "loudness control" is an attempt to have a base/treble boost/cut that changes with the amplitude, that matches how sound is perceived.

Now imagine having a different loudness control for each deaf person, because each deaf person's impairment is unique.

What does that mean in practice? I recently had two new hearing aids, where the process was: - 45 mins quickly assessing my hearing, so as to determine which type of aid is appropriate, plus taking ear canal moulds for two new earpieces - after the moulds had been manufactured, a 1.75 hour session that: - accurately measured my hearing loss in each ear, air and bone conduction, plus a masking test to ensure my right ear wasn't hearing sounds played into my left ear - discussing what I wanted the aids to achieve, in order to set appropriate programmes - tweaking each *aid's* frequency response to be the inverse of my hearing response, plys setting appropriate companding and limits - with the aids in my ears, measuring the effect ` the ear *canal* has, and re-tweaking each aid to get the desired response, companding and limits

I will have another appointment in a few weeks to re-assess what has worked, hasn't worked, and re-tweak everything.

So, not cheap, not easy, and there is a high degree of sophisticated assessment, measurement, and tweaking involved. It sure the hell isn't a simple amplifier and tone control!

Now not everybody will have hearing as bad as mine, but the processes listed above will be pretty similar for everybody.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Can't remember about the bluetooth, but the vnc capability is mainly of academic interest rather than being beneficial to me!

That's a different use case for me.

I don't want something that is only usable where there is internet connectivity. I have a couple of netbooks (linux, Win7) that fill the same niche as a chromebook, especially w.r.t. a real keyboard. One still has an excellent 9yo battery, because there's a BIOS setting to limit the charging to 80% of capacity.

The tablet fits in my coat pocket and can be carried anywhere. Great for consuming content, suboptimal for creating structured content e.g. "[/quote]" is a real pain on a soft keyboard. (I'm old enough to remember

5-channel paper tape, and the pain of using letter-shift figure-shift keys to alternate between numbers and letters. That it has re-appeared is a real step backward!)

Here the yellow labels are stuck on each individual EOL package, across the barcode, at an irregular angle.

That's easy to see from a distance.

Yup :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

With a rather stout Tanqueray, splash of tonic and lime of course!

Reply to
jjhudak4

In the UK intially there is a check for ear wax or other physical obstruction followed by a full hearing frequency test and the test response is then used to program the aid. Likewise with ear moulds.

I find it very odd that hearing aid batteries and prosthetic socks form a natural resource category in US VA health service planning.

So what is the point of this proposal to make something which is going to be about the same as the rubbish analogue designs from more than a quarter of a century ago. What purpose do they serve?

There are plenty of fairly decent cheap Chinese hearing aids about.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yes, that is a key question.

If it /is/ more than that, then it will require complex fitting and tuning procedures - which will make it a hearing aid with all that implies.

If it is /only/ that, why bother.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

you want to market your device like this

I had one of these for a family member and it was effective.

The EQ controls are the key.

makolber

I don't know if you can get it without pay, I had some free visits, but no more. Mikek

Reply to
amdx