Two kind of device with one report descriptor

Hello.

I need to make peripheral of my device work as both HID keyboard and HID consumer device. I need both keyboard functionality and functions like FF/REW/Play/Pause/Stop/Volume up,down/Brighter, Darker etc. OS is xp embedded. Can I do this with one report descriptor? As far as I have experienced, I need to make my device have 2 interfaces and 2 driver should be loaded. And I wonder I can do this with only one interface.

Please answer. Thanks.

Reply to
JY Kim

Maybe one report descriptor and one driver with 2 device filter drivers would do the job. You may search/post your question to "microsoft.public.development.device.drivers" group.

regards, ali

Reply to
Ali

What is a report descriptor? What are HID things?

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

Check on the Microchip Fourm they had talked about it. I think it is called a "compound device".

Reply to
Neil

Regards,

-- Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited

snipped-for-privacy@bytecraft.com

Reply to
Walter Banks

Usually, those keys are on a second interface (shared sometimes with the mouse). It may work on the same interface, but I'm not sure since I never tried. Most probably you'll have problems in Linux where the HID drivers are not so good, but for Windows I think it would work. Try and see. If you have experienced 2 interfaces, then you should have the means to experience with one interface. It's better than asking! Be sure to support boot protocol if the host requests for it.

Why do you want to use only one interface? What's the problem with having 2 interfaces? You don't save anything on your device.

Reply to
Adrian