programming ATF750CL

Hi all, sorry for the too naive question, but it's my first real encounter with a PLD since the old PALs (the OTP ones): how do I get the nice jedec file that I generated with wincupl software to an ATF750CL chip? The datasheet for this device doesn't disclose much informations. Do I need an old fashioned programmer or what? Thanks in advance

Frank IZ8DWF

Reply to
frank

You need an old fashioned programmer - one that puts +12V on certain pins.

From the datasheet abs. max. ratings:

Voltage on Any Pin with Respect to Ground -2.0V to +7.0V

Voltage on Input Pins with Respect to Ground During Programming -2.0V to

+14.0V

I haven't used a programmer like that for at least twenty years.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Try the 150x parts (not 1500) They have a JTAG port. Atmel also has a tool on their website wot generates SVF files. works in wine. you can upload with urjtag or similar. (use upstream urjtag. the one in debian is broken).

Reply to
Johann Klammer

thanks for the hint, 150x parts are a bit "larger" as footprint and space isn't much in this application, but if I haven't other choices, I'll try them. Also one important thing that led me chose the ATF750 is separate clocks for all flip flops (I really use this feature in this design).

Frank IZ8DWF

Reply to
frank

just re-compiled the design for the atf1502 which is *way* overkill. Now I guess I need a jtag usb adapter. Anything to suggest (even homebrew) that works on linux? Thanks

Frank IZ8DWF

Reply to
frank

On 03/11/2016 02:42 PM, Neon John wrote:

I've never actually tried to use avrdude for PLD programming. Can it even replay SVF files? or fusemaps or whatever?

help cable in urjtag gives:

List of supported cables: ARCOM Arcom JTAG Cable ByteBlaster Altera ByteBlaster/ByteBlaster II/ByteBlasterMV Parallel Port Download Cable DLC5 Xilinx DLC5 JTAG Parallel Cable III EA253 ETC EA253 JTAG Cable EI012 ETC EI012 JTAG Cable FT2232 Generic FTDI FT2232 Cable ARM-USB-OCD Olimex ARM-USB-OCD[-TINY] (FT2232) Cable ARM-USB-OCD-H Olimex ARM-USB-TINY-H (FT2232H) Cable Flyswatter TinCanTools Flyswatter (FT2232) Cable gnICE Analog Devices Blackfin gnICE (FT2232) Cable (EXPERIMENTAL) gnICE+ Analog Devices Blackfin gnICE+ (FT2232H) Cable (EXPERIMENTAL) JTAGkey Amontec JTAGkey (FT2232) Cable milkymist Milkymist JTAG/serial (FT2232) Cable OOCDLink-s OOCDLink-s (FT2232) Cable (EXPERIMENTAL) Signalyzer Xverve DT-USB-ST Signalyzer Tool (FT2232) Cable (EXPERIMENTAL) Turtelizer2 Turtelizer 2 Rev. B (FT2232) Cable (EXPERIMENTAL) USB-JTAG-RS232 USBJTAG&RS232 (FT2232) Cable (EXPERIMENTAL) usbScarab2 KrisTech usbScarabeus2 (FT2232) Cable USB-to-JTAG-IF USB to JTAG Interface (FT2232) Cable (EXPERIMENTAL) gpio GPIO JTAG Chain ICE-100B Analog Devices ICE-X Cable (0x064B) IGLOO Excelpoint IGLOO JTAG Cable jlink Segger/IAR J-Link, Atmel SAM-ICE and others. KeithKoep Keith & Koep JTAG cable Lattice Lattice Parallel Port JTAG Cable Minimal Minimal Parallel Port JTAG Cable MPCBDM Mpcbdm JTAG cable TRITON Ka-Ro TRITON Starterkit II (PXA255/250) JTAG Cable UsbBlaster Altera USB-Blaster Cable vsllink Versaloon Link --

WIGGLER Macraigor Wiggler JTAG Cable WIGGLER2 Modified (with CPU Reset) WIGGLER JTAG Cable xpc_ext Xilinx Platform Cable USB external chain xpc_int Xilinx Platform Cable USB internal chain

PS: I don't know if you can use the ftdi based parts without headaches in linux(never tried) (but that's likely what you'll be using)

Reply to
Johann Klammer

One thing to watch out are the header pinouts and supply voltage and switching levels.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

At least they run fine on my Linuxes. I'm just using one on a TI/Stellaris evaluation card with a Raspberry Pi.

--

-TV
Reply to