Plugs for bare PCB holes

Many years ago I came across a connector that was a push-fit into a PCB and didn't require soldering. I'm not sure if these haven't gone out of favour but can't re-find them.

In essence, for test and programming, I am looking for a system where I can plug directly into a PCB say a minimum 4 ways of bare PCB holes, and remove after programming and test.

Do these type of connector (still) exist?

Many thanks.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Search pogo-pins and/or pogo-beds. You might also take a look at

DemonicTubes

press-fit sockets are still a thing, but reading more of your message suggests thay are not what you're after.

I seem to recall a patent and a high price. "tag connect"

tens of dollars, high price for a hobbyist.

Digikey has them.

Jasen Betts

I need something with retention, so a plug with spring loaded pin is not ideal.

The Tag-Connect looks interesting, and is on some STM32 development boards, however the plug is 10mm x 6mm. I don't really have room for the

5mm dimension.

Many thanks.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Many thanks - I found them, as per my reply to DemonicTubes, I don't really have room for the 6mm dimension.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

how much room do you have?

Jasen Betts

The old HP-35 calculator had single sprung pins that contacted the inside of plated holes on the daughter board.

I suppose you could roll your own out of "kinky-pin" test points or other compliant pin connectors. Lots around but seem mostly intended for permanent solder-less connection. You might be able to finesse the plated hole diameter to get a reusable solution?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

Den fredag den 2. marts 2018 kl. 23.36.43 UTC+1 skrev Mike Perkins:

push-fit exist but that's permanent

how about a regular header and offset holes?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If the board is loose, push it down onto a bed-of-nails fixture with pogo pins against test points. If the board is already mounted, consider adding the program functions to an existing connector: just wire a 'special' variant of the connector to substitute in, for the test/configure bench. With the right thickness of PCB boaard, an A-style USB plug is a minimal card-edge connection scheme.

Plated-through holes are rather delicate items, it's perilous to do multiple insertions into them.

Reply to
whit3rd

I'm currently using a 4 way 0.1" header, so a nominal 2.5mm x 10mm

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

This would need just the one or two insertions.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

An interesting idea. Thanks

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Could you use square pins in round holes? You might have to screw around with the hole size.

George H.

Sent on my tablet. I'm in LA at the March APS meeting.

Reply to
George Herold

them, but they are advertized for just your requirements:

There seem to be only 2-row versions, so if they are to big for you, you might get creative and cut away one row and/or the coding pins to save some space.

cu Michael

Reply to
Michael Schwingen

What ever you look at keep in mind that many connectors are rated for a limited lifespan. If you are using this for test the test fixture will need to survive many, many cycles. Most won't.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

A good trick is to do testing in socket layers. Working from master tester to test fixture, a working ZIF socket is bolted down in the tester and is hidden and protected as much as possible. The next layer up is a semi-permanent test fixture, again using a ZIF; next layer has a ZIF for the DUT. This top ZIF takes the wear and tear and could last a few thousand insertions. 1K times 1K times 1K makes for a decent lifetime in a production environment. Trying for another layer and factor of 1K is counter-productive, because that leaning tower ain't too reliable.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Your ZIF tower design brings to mind a somewhat similar feature found on a board under my purview, but not designed by me. As shown in the photograph [1] a two digit LED display is situated at the top of two stacked wirewrap sockets. The corner pins of all devices in the stack are soldiered. So the stack apparently only serves to enhance the readability of the LED display. It's not a sacrificial part. OTOH, the stacked SMA barrel connectors on my VNA [2] are sacrificial by design. Their job is to bear the brunt of wear and tear.

Note.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

I'd think stacked ZIF sockets would be pretty poor electrically. I've always seen production test fixtures with one ZIF socket and pogo pins for the interface between the test fixture and the instrument.

I wouldn't think so. Why would the display need to be changed often? I used what looks like the same connectors some time back, for the same reason. It an option on a $20M mainframe. ;-)

Reply to
krw