OT: Violence is the Leftist' Tool

Damn straight, they distort the economics! Climate can crash and not recover for centuries, letting it do the boom-and-bust thing like natural economy would be fatal for life as we know it. Distort it GOOD AND HARD, I say!

Reply to
whit3rd

e:

ney to a project for making solar cells in ten times the volume that anybod y else does, you have an excellent chance of being about to make solar cell s that you can sell at half the price - per kilowatt of generating capacity - than anybody else.

the market - to their considerable economic benefit - for about a decade, w hen China pulled the same trick (which required a whole lot more capital in vestment).

lot more money than the amount China required. In other words we would b e foolish to try.

Fairly clearly you'd need spend ten times as much money as China did. At th e moment solar cells generate 1% of the electric power generated around the planet, so there's probably a market for ten times as many solar cells, pa rticularly if you could sell them at half the current price.

If you can't see that you would be foolish to try and do it, but the foolis hness would be more in the lack of vision.

tter school than you and took a course in economics from a world renown eco nomics professor. And applied that knowledge along with brains to amass a bunch of money.

You may have been exposed to more expensive economic teachers than most peo ple, but you don't seem to have absorbed enough to claim a particularly imp ressive grasp of economics. Getting world-renown as an economic professor i sn't particularly good evidence of competence in economics. Everybody has h eard of the Laffer Curve, but most people who know anything about economics are aware that it doesn't say anything useful.

that oil is less than $50 a barrel. Back when I was in grade school, I th ink known oil reserves were less than twenty years. Now about 70 years late r, I think oil reserves are over twenty years and coal reserves are still m ore than 50 years. Natural gas is as cheap as it has ever been.

hen you burn oil, coal and natural gas, is now a whole lot more restricted.

This isn't the kind of forum where one could deliver the information that e xplains what anthropogenic global warming is, and why we should be trying t o slow it down and eventually reverse it. If you haven't found out this inf ormation for yourself by now, you are probably too cognitively limited to a bsorb the information anyway.

the

ants to respond to. It makes it easier for him to construct a response he f inds convincing, but it isn't clever.

He hasn't snipped it here, just placed his response in such a way as to mak e it clear that he doesn't want to think about the subject.

wish you would do that. I find myself reading several pages and finally getting to the two line comment you posted. You should snip a lot more tha n you do.

Perhaps. Sadly, your idea of "germane" translates as "stuff Dan thinks he u nderstands", which isn't an extensive category.

It's worked a treat for most of your history - clearly the bits that your w orld-renowned economics professor didn't teach you about, or didn't teach y ou about sufficiently explicitly for the information to register with you.

ompany went bankrupt. Just goes to show that economies of scale is not guar anteed to work.

Of course "economies of scale" aren't guaranteed to work. If somebody else has got the same idea, they may do the job better - not necessarily because they are more competent, but merely because they lucked onto what turned o ut to be a more useful technology.

Solyndra went bust because the price of polysilicon dropped by 89%, making the copper indium gallium selenide cells that Solyndra was selling economi cally unattractive. Precisely who ramped up poly-silicon product escapes me

but there were only 12 factories making the stuff in 2008, and more than 10

0 by 2013.

Economies of scale worked for polysilicon, and flattened Solyndra in the pr ocess.

You may think so - you do like to keep your thinking simple, and uncomplica ted by inconvenient facts - but externalities do have a way of becoming les s external as time goes on.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If there is an org named "Planned Parenthood", then sure, I have no idea of them, can't even be bothered to look such an org up at the moment.

My references are to the words "Planned Parenthood".

I don't advocate terminating healthy babies 1 day before 9 months. There is band of indecidability. "No brain" is the lower line. I don't know where the upper line is.

What I do do as fact, as far as any rational fact can be defined, it aint at conception.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

The American far right has a near monopoly on violence; all they do is buy gun after gun after gun and fantasize about war and civil war and shooting people and blowing up federal buildings and bombing abortion clinics and shooting up universities every second of the day.

Reply to
bitrex

It's interesting to ponder the psychology of violent extremism. Q: Which came first, the politics, or the violent extremism?

A: IMO In nearly all cases it was the violent extremism that came first. The politics is simply window-dressing to "justify" personality characteristics which were already fairly well-ingrained long before the person knew what "politics" was.

That is to say, many extremists were the victims of abuse, from parents or otherwise, sometimes even legitimate abuse from the groups that they despise. Could a young white boy growing up in the Deep South not suffer legitimate abuse at the hands of black peers? It's absurd to think it isn't possible.

The (dysfunctional) way they coped with this abuse is to become abusers themselves, i.e. abuse acts like a contagion, which propagates both inter-generationally and horizontally from person to person.

"In 2011 psychologists Agata Blachnio and Malgorzata Weremko of Catholic University of Lublin in Poland described an experiment in which students took a spelling test in a room secretly fitted with a one-way mirror. A dictionary and a thesaurus were in the room, but the students were asked not to use them. Subjects were three times as likely to cheat when an assistant posing as a cheating student was also present. In fact, unchecked dishonesty can promote the perception that one must cheat to remain competitive.

Such observations have led Ariely to refer to cheating as 'infectious.' ... This kind of social contagion may help explain the high prevalence of cheating in relatively small groups of people. For example, 125 Harvard students were recently under investigation for cheating on the final examination in an introductory government course. (More than half these students were told to withdraw from school for up to a year as punishment.) It is statistically unlikely that nearly half the 279 students in that class are sociopaths given the low prevalence of sociopathy -- about 3 percent in males and 1 percent in females. A more plausible explanation is contagion. The widespread bending of the rules probably led students to conclude that collaborating with other students was okay."

Reply to
bitrex

"Intriguingly, the majority of Fascists come from broken homes"

- Oliver James

Cursitor Doom

'bitrex' has no clue about the South. "It's absurd to think" that blacks and whites didn't get along with each other. I can't recall of _any_ racial conflicts when I was growing up there... 77 to 60 years ago.

Racial conflicts occur in such wonderful leftist 'garden spots' such as Los Angeles, New York and Boston. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

It's very telling how these filthy Lefties claim to be all about 'loving each other', 'coming together' and 'hating the haters' when if you examine what they *really* are doing in practice, it's *all* about opening up old wounds and sewing division between black and white: keeping the pot boiling, IOW. Scum!

Cursitor Doom

Yes. And it's totally irrational... these 'participants' have really no clue what they're _rioting_ about... it's just a convenient excuse for thuggery and vandalism. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Cursitor Doom seems to keep company with leftist who behave differently fro m the ones I run into. But then Cursitor Doom - as a Daily Mail reader - pr obably doesn't run into any actual leftists at all, and gets his ideas abou t the way they behave from the Daily Mail, which mainly in the business of telling people like Cursitor Doom what they want to hear. Actual informatio n about the real world doesn't have a high priority.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson takes Cursitor Doom's vapourings - all retailed from the Daily Mail - seriously enough to go to the trouble of complaining that the confected nonsense posted is portraying irrational behaviour.

If Jim had any grasp of what happens in the real world, he'd realise that it was all recycled right-wing political propaganda, but Jim's disconnection from reality lets him believe a whole lot of nonsense that makes him happy (if somewhat psychopathic).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

JT seems to think every citizen of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is a "leftist", which is straight up nonsense. And his opinions about Boston seem to be based primarily on what he thought of it while at MIT circa early 1960s.

Reply to
bitrex

West Virginia was ~98% white in 1960, no fooling there weren't any racial conflicts as how would you even find such a person to have a conflict with.

Reply to
bitrex

Boston was ground zero for school bussing violence. The most racist people I've known were in the Northeast. Not surprising, really.

Reply to
krw

Yeah some regs get all righteously indignant when one drops a little reality picture into the usual delusions-of-reference. oh. they're angry about something again. how unusual.

Reply to
bitrex

I don't think there are any more racists here than anywhere else. It's just that given that the ones that are are also, well, New Englanders, they don't make much effort to keep up appearances and pretend otherwise.

They're usually not hard to spot, in my area you just look for the SL class or Lexus GX with the Trump sticker on it

Reply to
bitrex

PS: Yeah they thew stuff and jeered Ted Kennedy while he was giving a speech. It was "ground zero for violence" because those people were called "white Irish-ancestry Republican-party-members from South Boston", silly.

Reply to
bitrex

You don't think.

Proof positive.

Reply to
krw

Irony meter just pegged.

Of what? Krw's mental processes are obscure at the best of times - you can usually trace some right-wing knee-jerk, but this is more obscure than most.

A Trump sticker on an imported motor-car is evidence of sloppy thinking, but any enthusiasm for Trump has to be the product of sloppy thinking in the first place.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

At least in Boston you definitely don't see a lot of Trump stickers on the type of vehicle the blue-collar "populist" might be driving, you see Trump stickers on imported luxury vehicles, Trump signs in front of million-dollar homes, and Trump shirts on young male college students whose Mom & Dad are shelling out 50 grand a year to pay for BU.

i.e. it's primarily a nouveau-riche status symbol, like buying your first BMW.

Reply to
bitrex