OT: thanks heavens for air conditioning

After years of 'umming and ahhing' about it I found an new 8000btu/hr end of line air conditioner on ebay for a snip at £99.99 + carriage ( first time I looked these things were ~ £500 ).

It's only a few weeks each year here that you really can justify one but it makes the difference between getting useful work done and not much at all.

What's somewhat surprised me is that it seems only just to mananage with a room

15' x 12' x 8'6".

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Where I grew up, New Orleans, 8000 BTU units were considered to be toys. It takes 24,000 or so to cool things enough to make the mosquitoes go dormant.

And why do you use BTUs? I thought Europeans used kcal/hr or joules/fortnight or something. And why would you want to air condition a carriage?

So many mysteries.

John

room

Somewhat bizarrely it persists in hvac use here. It's about 2.5kW.

A carriage ? Oh 'carriage' is like P&P. The goods are delivered by a 'carrier'.

lol !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Take a vacation when it's hot.

How much heat does it extract for this 8000BTU?

Where I grew up, we took a nap for 3 hours in the hottest part of the day. Worked later, and didn't have/need air con.

It's an Empire thing.

Ah you're confusing our speed measurement which is furlongs/fortnight.

Perhaps when you're all done with air conditioning your workplaces and homes, you can think of a way to air condition the planet.

Reply to
Grumps

Well duh! My house has *two* 60,000Btu/hr units.

...Jim Thompson

Furlongs/fortnight is common enough that it is included in the Speed conversion charts at onlineconversion.com. For instance:

1 furlong/fortnight [survey] = 0.016 630 985 centimeter/second 1 furlong/fortnight [survey] = 23.571 475 441 inch/hour etc.
Reply to
Richard Henry

Duh, B= British.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

nd of

ime I

it

l=2E

a room

What is your monthly electric bill?

Reply to
Richard Henry

room

$628.28 for June.

...Jim Thompson

r end of

t time I

but it

all.

ith a room

Thats about total what I paid for rent and electric in June. My place has appartments on each side and above me; I got just one window each front and back, and I put that thermal reflecting film stuff on them.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

end of

it

a room

I'm just shy of 3700 sq.ft.

But I have double-pane glass, electro-filmed inside the "sandwich", plus sun screens on the "normal" sized ones.

However lots of it... the great room window (the one you've seen hill-side photos through) is 12' high x 15' wide... roll-a-shield on the outside, rolled down in the afternoon this time of year.

...Jim Thompson

of

room

You must love in a tenement if your rent is that low...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

of

room

^^^^ (spelling fixed :-)

No. IIRC Luhan lives in God's Country... Arizona ;-)

...Jim Thompson

hr end of

st time I

but it

t all.

with a room

I spent several weeks looking for appartments when I found this one. Then I spent 2 months dealing with a management company who made no move to clean up the place. Finally, a new management company took over and I got in.

700 square feet, one bedroom, $515/month. Huge courtyard with 4 gazibos, grills, several large trees and a pool. All units have porches and face the courtyard. Nothing else I looked at even came close. Besides, who wants to live 'with a bunch of white people'!!!

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Believe it or else, Fred, but I already knew that.

But they're Europeons now; they should use Brussels Thermal Units or French Thermal Units (FRTs) or something.

Actually, I hate BTUs. I have a couple of books on thermal design of electronics that use units like BTU-inches/hour-square foot and horrors like that. Some take pity and use calories and cm, not quite as bad. What's wrong with watts/m-K?

John

end of

it

a room

If the rent is that low, it is usually because of the murder, rape, robbery, and burglary rate in the complex.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

of

room

Good Lord ! That's more than my *yearly* electricity bill.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

of

room

We don't use much electricity - we don't have a/c - but spend more on natural gas, averaging $200/mo maybe for both. According to my brand-new $19,000 digital thermometer, it was 53F a little while ago when we went out for coffee.

John

u/hr end of

irst time I

ne but it

at all.

e with a room

No, its that low because many people *believe* those things to be true. Or that might be true in a place where the residents were mostly anglos.

(just for your frame-o-reference: I am of German/Russion/Israeli descent*).

Luhan

  • do not not store in direct sunlight - may spontaneously combust.
Reply to
Luhan

hr end of

st time I

but it

t all.

with a room

$19,000 digital thermometer, and you only get 2 significant digits ??? !!! ???

Reply to
mrdarrett