OT: thanks heavens for air conditioning

end of

it

a room

Sheeeesh! I spend more than that on wine every month ;-)

And I'm NEVER cold ;-)

...Jim Thompson

of

room

That's colder than "winter" here ;-)

...Jim Thompson

end of

time I

it

all.

a room

VW Rabbit. Yeah, it should have more digits.

John

Be careful, the meaning of "BTU" could be different - depending on the age of the book you find it in:

Originally the "BThU" was the British Thermal Unit and the "BTU" was the Board of Trade Unit for electricity (= 1 Kilowatt hour).

When the BTU became neglected in favour of the kWh, some brainless nincompoop decided it could be re-used for a totally different unit of measurement so as to save the bother of writing the extra 'h'.

The result is total confusion if you happen to look something up in an older textbook.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

room

And if we bring up politics, they can barely manage. ;-)

>> Insert witty message here
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Alright, then let's call it a Larkin, symbol L.

My foundry furnace has refractory rated around 2-2.2 Larkins.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

room

My temperature never rises. I actually get calmer the more asses I kick ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Heat pumps? SEER?

10 tons for a 3700 sq ft house seems awfully high to me.... we have 6 tons for ~3200 sq ft).

I'm considering replacing a dying 10 SEER heatpump with a Trane 14 or 16 SEER unit...with gas furnace...any feedback on Trane or other brands? Of course you don't have the high humidity problem in AZ that we have in AL.

Thanks,

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Yes.

Only 10, but they're 13 years old. I'm debating replacement, but they're working just fine.

You don't have AVERAGE temperatures (day+night) of 100°F

You probably also have a two story house. My 3700 sq.ft. is on one level.

My units are Tranes. I'd exhibit some caution with the SEER ratings. Many accomplish this by varying circulation fan speed, which is a bit of a hoax. The best scheme I've heard of has TWO compressors... a good idea, since best efficiency occurs at full load.

Of course today we have a RARE drizzling rain, and it's only 76°F outside... must be global warming ;-)

My daughter-in-law (Duane's widow) just bought a smaller house (~2400 sq.ft.) with the dual-compressor scheme. The builder guarantees yearly electricity cost at less than $1200 or they'll pay the difference!

...Jim Thompson

Easy - paint the Sahara Desert white. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The next logical step will be for the EU to ban (or more likely, heavily tax) air conditioners.

John

Seems only fitting ;-)

But the little inns that I've stayed at down in the Black Forest didn't have air conditioning. So I opened a window and was marveling at the strawberries just outside, then the mosquitos descended :-(

...Jim Thompson

True. But the humidty here is stiffling.

Right.

Yes. I'm considering a XL14, XL16, XL17 Trane units. The 17 SEER gets the higher rating from variable speed blower--plus a 2 stage compressor that operates at 100% or 70%.... I am debating replacing my propane furnace with the Trane to get the higher SEER... The replacement has the variable speed, but also will be a dual-fuel setup. Propane has quadrupled in the 12 years since I first put it in.... its becoming *painful*.

Don't get me started :)

You can't beat that!

Sorry to hear about your son...

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Hi Jim, Just bought us a new house, with one of those 'energy guarantees' on it. Not worth the paper its printed on, since to be able to collect, you have to have done enough draconian paperwork that the extra electricity would be a lot cheaper...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

In sunny Alabamy, you will find the dual speed fans a great help. The low speed/low compressor setting basically acts like a dehumidifier, which can be esp. useful in fall or spring when it really isn't that cold out!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

[snip]

This home is by Pulte, who have a pretty good reputation here. But I'll ask the daughter-in-law to see the paperwork.

...Jim Thompson

If they can ban air conditioning, they might as well ban heating the buildings in the winter, too.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

AFAIK it is not permitted in Denmark to aircondition office buildings. Therefore they design the building a bit differently so it doesn't need it. At least it doesn't get all that hot there anyway.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

I think that they use pretty good insulation but still it gets cold there so they probably use hot water radiators. I think they use the waste heat from power stations, distributed as hot water in underground pipes - it's a good way to deal with the other 60% or so of the thermal energy that doesn't get converted to electricity in a power station - much more useful than a big steaming cooling tower, and you can charge people money for it too.

All I know for certain is that whenever I've been to offices in Denmark, the temperature has been comfortable and it's nice and quiet too.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Makes about as much sense !