OT: thanks heavens for air conditioning

Not even for defending yourself from pigeons ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You Brits are just SO dense ;-)

All you need is an owl.

You only need the gun to shoot the PETA supporters ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Only if the pigeons have uzis.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I saw a low-tech solution last week on Tenerife - apartment blocks with flat roof, wall round the perimeter and filled with about 6" of water. I assume evaporation keeps the top relatively cool.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

That sounds like a great place to breed millions of misquitoes, not to mention risking lots of damage when it starts to leak.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

(where

The infamous "Cows with guns!" I've seen that several times already. Just watch out for the chickens in choppers. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We have a flat roof with parapets all around, but flooding would be messy. We could use lawn sprinklers on hot days, but water is expensive here. One definition of the US West is "that part of North America that gets less than 20 inches of rainfall per year."

Now that the tar has mellowed, we can paint it white.

John

Put foam over it. Marvelous reflectivity and insulation.

...Jim Thompson

I wonder if it would solve "global warming" if everybody painted their roof white?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

We did put 6 inches of rigid foam under it, and that's pretty good, but the ceiling in my office shows 79F at this instant (using the trusty Extech IR) and that's still a bit warm. Painting should help a lot. It's a flat tar roof, pretty low albedo.

Speaking of IR, I just saw a fabulous thermal IR imager at the Semicon West show, made by FLIR. Aimed at the carpet, you can make a brief thermal handprint and see it slowly fade away. One of their units would have plenty of resolution to thermally profile SOT-23s or 0603 resistors on a board, just a few microns per pixel zoomed in. And you can save an image and then measure the temp of each pixel. Has spooky looking germanium lenses. They're gonna bring us a demo.

John

The flat foam roof over our kitchen area has some kind of highly reflective white top-coating... so reflective you can go "snow-blind" in short order.

...Jim Thompson

Take the egg while the pigeons watch. They won't like it, will look angry at you, and will not return.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Please

I thought that lower case "l" was avoided because it was easily confused with the numeric "1" in many typefaces.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

8000btu/hr end of

time I

but it

at all.

with a room

He would have to be a real bible thumper to do that. Besides to make all that text readable in Google earth would require a much larger building in an already expensive place.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

end of

time I

but it

all.

with a room

That's easy. fence the roof boundaries, get cats from the local shelter and place them on the roof. clean and resupply as needed.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

I think the intent was to put "John 3:16" on the roof, not the entire verse.

Matter cannot be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned without a
receipt.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Correct. That way you could see it in sat photos and make people wonder. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida