OT: slightly longer life

Just 5 min/day of running, huh.

And...

Later,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

"As a group, runners gained about three extra years of life compared with those adults who never ran"

5 minutes/day * 365 days/year * 70 years/active lifespan = 127750 min = 2129 hours = (a "work year")

(you spend 1/3 of those "extra years of life" ASLEEP and a good portion of the remaining waking time RUNNING! :>

Reply to
Don Y

So let's see, I assume bicycling hard counts just as well. 4000mi each year, assuming an average speed of 11mph with the hills and all, I should be adding a whopping 2545 hours or 0.3 years of additional life per year. So I'll be like Methusaleh some day :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

those

From the second article: "Could it be, they asked rather peevishly, that if in order to reduce your risk of dying by a year, you had to spend the equivalent of a year? s worth of time on the trails or track, producing no discernible net gain?"

"Perhaps most interesting, the researchers calculated that, hour for hour, running statistically returns more time to people?s lives than it c onsumes. Figuring two hours per week of training, since that was the averag e reported by runners in the Cooper Institute study, the researchers estima ted that a typical runner would spend less than six months actually running over the course of almost 40 years, but could expect an increase in life e xpectancy of 3.2 years, for a net gain of about 2.8 years."

Reminds me of a joke about marriage, since married people statistically liv e longer: "If you want to die a slow death..."

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

"Meanwhile, other kinds of exercise also reliably benefited life expectancy , the researchers found, but not to the same degree as running. Walking, cy cling and other activities, even if they required the same exertion as runn ing, typically dropped the risk of premature death by about 12 percent. (To make my own biases clear, I run but I also love cycling and I walk my dogs every day.)"

Note sure why that is :)

"Of course, these additions ?are not infinite,? Dr. Lee say s. Running does not make people immortal. The gains in life expectancy are capped at around three extra years, he says, however much people run."

So much for the Methuselah plan. Maybe Enoch? :)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

And...

So let's see, I assume bicycling hard counts just as well. 4000mi each

If it is capped to three years then there are easier plans: Eating! That can supposedly add 6-1/2 years :-)

Sadly beer didn't make that list. I started home-brewing again last year.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Cycling compared to running uses energy in roughly a 1:4 ratio over distance. 4000mi of cycling is huge! but probably correlates to only

1000mi of running.

I don't see the study compensating for the fact that people with the gumption to run are probably willing to make many other life-extending sacrifices too. That doesn't mean that any couch potato who starts running will do the same.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

says. Running

Did you now! There's a pretty good supplier, You Brew It, in Rancho Cordov a (closer to where I live than the Brewmeister shops). Their supplies (yea st, bottles) are cheaper than Brewmeister; sadly, the grains are more expen sive.

After brewing my 12th batch, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not reall y a beer drinker. I mostly just give it away to friends, and I just practi ce the art. I made a gallon or so of Russian Imperial Stout though that my cousin likes. After mashing, I made another gallon or so of Honey Blonde Ale from the leftover sugars in the malt. I like that ale a lot more. Own er of You Brew It said to get Cactus Gold Honey Powder from KP Internationa l for the honey mouthfeel. In the past, I used actual honey, which the yea st happily turned into additional alcohol, with no honey flavor whatsoever. ..

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

says. Running

Wine, huh. That also reminds me - there was some discussion that the stati stics which show longer life if you drink some alcohol vs. none, are skewed because the non-drinking group contains former alcoholics who were so clos e to death, they had to give up alcohol altogether.

Reply to
mrdarrett

And...

So let's see, I assume bicycling hard counts just as well. 4000mi each

Grains (or malt extract) are the main cost factors in beer. I get my stuff in Minnisohtah:

Small stuff such as caps I pick up at Brewmeister because that is easy to reach via the bike path network in the valley. Always a good excuse for a 40-miler on the old road bike. Their caps are IMO better than the ones from Midwest (harder in the metal).

Bottles we saved up enough and cleaned off the labels. Or course, Grolsch flip-tops are my favorites. Yeast isn't a cost factor because I harvest it one to two times for re-pitching. I can always harvest enough for two beers from the trub of a batch. So one $4 pack of Safale US-05 can make five 5-gallon batches instead of only one. Haven't dared to go

3rd generation yet.

The trub doesn't go to waste either, whether the yeast was harvested from it or not. We turn that into really tasty "trub bread". Always baked over charcoal or wood fire in the Weber kettle. We haven't bought bread since summer last year.

When I use honey I put it in right at the end of boil, on the advice of someone in a brewing NG. It makes American Wheat which we both aren't partial to really tasty. I am on batch #37 now, not counting the first few runs.

I lucked out and got an old wine cooler from a neighbor for $100. Scrapped out some stuff and reworked the electronics. It can now hold two primary fermenters and three secondaries. Currently holding: A Belgian Saison, a Koelsch, an Autumn Amber Ale, an IPA and a Pale Ale.

My all time favorite is Belgian Tripel. It clocks in around 8% ABV so the car keys must be retired for the night.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sounds iffy. When there is no dose-rate effect, it often means something else is going on.

The majority of such studies turn out to be wrong.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

No, sorry, only running counts. But the good news is that it doesn't matter how much you run.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Lots of salt is good for you.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

ee says.

Nice! Buying by the sack saves money also.

Safale US-05 is good stuff. From the charts in the Fermentis Tips and Tric ks, I'm thinking about trying Safbrew BE-256 next.

Nice! Trub from post-boil, or trub from fermenting?

I think I did it that way too, but still didn't get much honey flavor out o f it. Maybe I'm wrong though; it's been about a year. Ah well, to the lab ! :)

Nice! I mostly just stick to the higher-temperature ale yeasts, and brew d uring Winter/Spring.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

e says. Running

.

I've heard that lately too in the news, but am skeptical because many peopl e in the Philippines have died of kidney problems possibly due to eating to o much salted fish (poorer folks just salt the fish to preserve it instead of refrigerating, since refrigerators are expensive).

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Be skeptical of all nutritional studies. Most turn out to be wrong.

I avoid eating foods that contain large amounts of broken glass.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

And...

So let's see, I assume bicycling hard counts just as well. 4000mi each

I am still a lowly extract brewer though. However, I am keeping my eyes peeled for two-roller grain crusher. Some day I want to do BIAB but must figure out a way to use two bags instead of one, on account of a bad lower back. I can't lift heavy stuff while bent over. Or rather, I can but then I will pay for that.

Grain doesn't save a lot of money or often none at all but allows more mods. I usually brew two batches in a day. Having only two 1kW electric burners under a tamale steamer pot it takes time to heat. That means that time-wise I might be able to do one all-grain and one extract session if we have dinner a little later.

Be careful with BE-256. That is what I used on the Belgian Tripel and it went "nuclear". After the first mess (lid of the fermenter came off) I placed a blow-off hose and bucket. However, the diameter of the racking hose was still not large enough. Lots of evil hissing and roaring plus a minor mess, the lid came partially off. Phsssss ... rot-tot-tot ...

*BURP* .. phseeeee ... POOF .. gurgle. So now I mounted a 1/2" Bulkhead connector in the fermenter lid and keep a strudy washing machine hose at hand for next time.

It's the trub from fermenting. You can't use the hop residue and other gunk at the bottom of the boil pot. Also, that contains the carrageenan which would probably cause a really funky taste.

To get honey flavor you'd have to add it much later, after cooling off a bit. We dont want intense honey flavor though, just a smidgen.

What I do is pour it in after turning off the burners and then I use the wort chiller coil to mix it in. The coil needs to walk the pot anyhow and I already stick it in during the last few minute of boil (sans cooling water) to sanitize it via heat.

I bought and modded the wine fridge so I'd be able to brew year round and (almost) all styles. I added a regulated heat mode and a McGyver style heater for that, "electronics guys style", can be seen in the 2nd link:

This way temps do not drop too low during winter months in the basement room. Having to run the pellet stove down there just to keep the beer happy gets expensive.

If I'd ever do a bock I can use an old Bosch fridge in the basement which can hold one fermenter and run that much colder.

--
Arriba, abajo, al centro y adentro, ... Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Huh. I went with grains precisely because they're cheaper. Of course that also assumes my time is worth $0/hr. I still consider myself a student at this, so it's worth it.

I just put the grains in the blender in small batches. I used to do the ba g thing, then decided, hey, I'm going to let it settle out anyway, so why n ot just siphon off the clear liquid. It takes longer, but that's how I do it without a lauter tun. Since it's settling, it's ok if the particles are somewhat finer than with a crusher. I should be able to extract more of t he sugars, too. So, in a nutshell, mix the powdered grains with water, bri ng to 150 degrees F while mixing, scoop into empty 1-gallon wine jugs, allo w to settle, siphon off the clear liquid for the later boil, return the sol ids to the pot, add more water, and repeat until I have enough liquid for t he boil.

That reminds me! Since I only brew about 2 gallons at a time (my biggest p ot is only 3 gallons or so), and since I use 1-gallon empty glass wine jugs as my fermenters, I only put about 1 tsp of yeast into each jug. Maybe 1/

2 tsp... I have to double-check my notes. It helps to keep the reaction man ageable. Before, yeah, I had serious overflow problems too. I also try to only fill the fermenters about 2/3 full, max, just in case.

Ah! Ok, thanks for clarifying. Although, the hops would make a fairly int eresting bread, huh... hmm...

Very nice! I would just do it when the weather is being cooperative, but t hat's just me.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Not really. There is no way I can make five gallons of IPA, Stout, Pale Ale, Cream Ale or American Wheat for $20 using grain. Mostly because hops and all the other stuff adds cost.

I modify those though.

Yes, it's a hobby and cost isn't why I do this. The main reason is that every bottle tastes like a growler fresh off the tap. You can't get that great taste with store bought beer.

With the bag one of the advantages is you can mill really fine. There isn't the risk of s stuck sparge.

A homebrewer's nightmare:

The bread certainly has a hoppy taste and I like that. It's not something you'd use to for honey or marmelade. It tastes best with cold cuts. Most deliciously with thin slices of tri-tip from the barbie.

Right now the Pale Ale and IPA are a bit recalcitrant. The IPA is at 29h fermentation lag and hasn't started a bit. The Pale Ale is at 24h and shows very tepid yeast activity. Got to shake the buckets some more later tonight to kick things into gear. With living organisms such as yeast one never knows.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Marriage doesn't make you live longer. It just seems that way.

Reply to
krw