OT: slightly longer life

Eating adds a lot more than 6 1/2 years! Try stopping and see how long you live.'

Reply to
krw

Ah! Do you use dried malt extract or syrups? And your malt is only $20 for 5 gallons?

I'll consider DME if the economics shake out. Huh. Thanks.

This is a recipe for that RIS I mentioned.

A 50 pound sack goes for about $45 at Brewmeister, so rounding that off to $1/lb... that's $17 for the base malt...

4 pounds of specialty malt at $2/lb is $8... Say $5 for the hops and yeast (can use for maybe 2 more batches, so $15 for all hops and yeast, spread out over 3 batches)

So say $30 for 5 gallons :)

That's so true!

Yup.

Oh man. The video after it also is nuts; he has the fermenter filled way too full.

1/2 tsp of yeast per gallon... that should be enough :o

Yeast need oxygen for the growth phase. Did you aerate before pitching the yeast? I aerate by hand-pouring two cups at a time with a sanitized measuring cup from my pot to the fermenter (but I only use 1-gallon jugs, so they're not so heavy).

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I don't know any runners who don't love running. I think that says it all. I believe there are studies showing people with hobbies they love live longer. Is running the only way to extend your life?

--

Rick C
Reply to

I don't run (can't anymore) but I do 1.5-2hrs on the treadmill at the gym every day (well, I did until I screwed up my hip a couple of weeks ago). I certainly don't "like" doing it and I certainly don't like the time "lost" but Netflix makes it tolerable.

Reply to
krw

I use both LME and DME. For a 5-gallon batch the base beers such as a standard Pale Ale, IPA or Cream Ale cost me $20 including everything, malt, specialty grains (steeped in), hops, yeast and even the corn sugar for bottle carbonation. Plus shipping which adds $6-7 unless I can sneak in a free-ship deal.

That is one big beer. My wife wouldn't like it but I sure would.

That's ok. The Belgian Tripel costs me $50 even from Midwest but worth every drop.

[...]

I use carboys for secondary (the blue water cooler bottles). They only offer 5-gal total and are really hard to clean. My primaries are 6-1/2 gallon food grade pails. Even there I now have spots where the beer kind of "etched itself in". PBW can't get it out anymore so there may come a day where I need new pails.

So far I haven't quite understood the whole over/underpitched science. I mean, yeast makes lots of offspring so even if you have too little in there it should produced more and more cells.

After cooling I rack the wort from the brew kettle into the fermenter buckets. I use a 3/4" PVC tee from irrigation pipe where I sawed a slot into the T-part. A plastic clamp slid in with the hose holds the hose upwards at an angle of 20-30 degrees and this causes the wort to splash in. Occasionally I place the tee at another area on the rim of the bucket so it aerates other sections. At the end I usually have several inches of foam on top of the wort in the fermenter. So much that when I use dry yeast I have to push the foam around with a sanitized strainer ladle to be able to sprinkle the yeast onto the form surface and not have it riding on the foam.

The IPA has now kicked into gear with healthy air lock activity but the Pale Ale is still tepid (but li'l bubbles are coming). I figure I can always open a pouch of US-05 and pitch it in later but so far I didn't have to do that with any beer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Doesn't it also include the ones who never gave up drinking and literally drank themselves to death?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Including the studies you believe?

--

Rick C
Reply to

About half of those are hard miles. Trails with ruts and embedded boulders, steep ups and downs, standing in the pedals, then braking hard, standing in the pedals again. After 10-15 miles my T-shirt is totally drenched which is why I carry an empty yoghurt pot. When I come by a creek I splash water over myself until the sweat in the T-shirt is replaced by water. This also avoids arriving at the brewpub smelling like a gym bag.

There is a lot that somewhat sporty people can do. Even at work one can place things in a way that it doesn't cost extra time but actions require muscle use. For example, two books I need often are the bible and then AoE if I want to explain stuff to others. Their assigned shelf spot is, on purpose, slightly beyond reach so I have to get out of the chair every time. Same for important binders and such. Canon must have had our health in mind as well when they messed up the scanning firmware for the MF4890. I have to get up, press some buttons and then within very few seconds hit some other buttons on the PC. Else things time out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

~zap~

You guys are hilarious :D

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I am impressed. I might just try LME and DME next time; the settling times for my all-grain methods take a few hours.

I took a peek at one of my favorite recipes (a Zywiec Polish beer clone) an d it would cost me $18 in LME, vs $9 for all-grain. All the rest of the fl avor malts, yeast, etc. are the same (except for the hops; I think the reci pe said to use slightly less hops if using all-grain). That's for 5 gallon s though, and I usually only make 2 gallons at a time due to not having gig antic pots and carboys. So I'm looking at saving only $4 or so, dividing e verything by two.

When I make big beers, I make a second light beer with the leftover flavor and sugars in the grains :)

What's the recipe? I'm curious now. Is it available online? :)

Bottle brush? Sometimes just filling with water and letting it sit for a f ew days helps too.

The idea is to give the yeast a head-start vs. the natural bacteria and wil d yeast. Of course there is such a thing as too much... *boom*

But actually I'm interested in one wild yeast: Saccharomyces diastaticus. It gives a bad flavor to the beer but is interesting for fuel alcohol produ ction because it has the amylase enzymes built-in (the same enzymes which c hop up the barley starches into sugars when malting at 150 F).

Safale US-05 always works; that's been my experience :)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

If you're in the area, let me know and I'll give you a bottle. My cousin who likes it is in the Los Angeles area, and nobody else (including myself) drinks it. I'll trade you for a low Rds,on mosfet if you happen to have one on you :)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Don't believe any.

Reply to
krw

That would be too much time for me. I figured that BIAB would add about

1h to the process. In reality 1-1/2h but for beers that need specialty grains steeped in which is the case for most of them I'd save that 1/2h. This should still allow brewing two beers in one day if the 2nd one use an extract process.

$9 for all grain? Must be a very light beer. For summer those can be great and I am looking at making one soon. Something that only has 4% ABV.

Good plan! Don't let anything go to waste. In my case any spent grains go to chickens that friends have. EDH Brewing in El Dorado Hills makes grain crackers from some of them (rest goes to a farm as well) but when I tried they just crumbled. Tasted good though.

It's this recipe kit:

Absolutely requires a sizeable blow-off hose.

I tried it and the stains are hard to get off. Some beers have to sit in secondary for a month and over that time stuff cakes itself in.

Yes, that is always my concern when the lag is too long. So far, knocking on wood, none of the beers turned funky.

Mraz Brewing in El Dorado Hills specializes in sour beers. I am not a huge fan of those but some people drive 50 miles just to get a growler of one of them.

Risky business. It can contaminate a whole brewery. Supposedly that's what shut down Pyramid but others say it was to get out from underneath a union.

Yes, it seems to be the go-to staple in brewing these days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'd have to take off all day, then maybe it works depending on where you live. I often get as far as the Hazel Avenue bridge but that's nose to the handlebar and riding full bore most of the time.

I live in Cameron Park near the air strip so I always have to give myself enough time to claw back the 1400ft in altitude with lots of us and downs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

When John Larkin posts this kind of claim you have to figure in that he mostly doesn't understand what the reports about the studies were actually saying, and that his idea of "wrong" includes "disagrees with conclusions presented on a denialist web-site".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Well if somehow you end up between Howe and Bradshaw around Hwy 50 around lunchtime let me know.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

That's beyond bicycle reach on a regular day but maybe some day by car. Then I'll bring a homebrew :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Bollocks.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

I think one has to be pretty much stuck with their head in the sand to not understand that exercise will, statistically, increase your life by a significant amount, and able you to walk around the shopping mall when you are 80 without a Zimmer frame or mobility scooter.

Before xmas this last year, I had 30+ years of no exercise. A 10 second run would have absolutely floored me. I woke up. Within a few months, I am now at 5km continuous in 29 mins 15 secs. I feel amazingly better. Now...

Your heart is the most important mechanical organ of the body. It is a a machine, that if it is not used, the muscles grow weaker and weaker. I know. My older brother died just after xmas at 62 due to heart failure. He had been in bed for the last 18 months. Its called stagnation. You need to get the heart rate up so that it gets stronger, just as what happens with weight training.

I agree, that doing 26 mille marathons is detrimental to you health. Professional marathon runners, apparently, have higher rates of requiring pacemakers when they get older. In fact, 80% of marathon runners have stage one kidney failure immediately after the run. It recovers after a few days, but it is is telling you something. The optimum mortality seems to be about

3 times a week, of around 1/2 hour at 8km/hr. Above 12km/hr for 1hour, 5 times a week, seems to result in worse mortality.

Seriously, if you can't run for even 5 minutes, do you really think that such a poor level of fitness is not bad for you?

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward