OT: Scientific American on sea level rise.

It didn't seem like a good fit.

lunatic fringe electronics

We are at or close to peak inter-glacial sea level.

The only thing certain about climate is that we can expect another ice age in not many thousand years, and that sea level will drop like it did before.

lunatic fringe electronics

I'll wager he gets that response a lot! :-D

Cursitor Doom

He's weird and sad. He's a omnidirectional droning insult machine. Best thing to do is ignore him.

My tiny wife used to work in the Berkeley schools, trying to do therapy with some big scary thugs. She found that they craved attention for their thuggery, and the way to guide their behavior was to ignore them when they were acting up. They couldn't stand being ignored.

lunatic fringe electronics

the real threat to society is violent social unrest due to excess income inequality

mark

Reply to
makolber

No one suggested the deck would be awash, though, rather that the abutments on the shore would be undercut with erosion. The deck of the Oakland bridge is lower, but still above the briny.

Cliffs and a beach are stable, because waves crash on the sand. Wash over the sand, though, and the cliffs aren't stable.

Reply to
whit3rd

Sounds like BS to me. The 'third generation' reactors have intrinsically-safe design features, and a few pipe fittings, that mate to fire-fighting pump vehicles, is the costly modification that allows redundant emergency cooling. It's cheap. It could have worked at Fukushima, and we got the benefit of hindsight because there WAS A REACTOR to generate the experience, though foresight missed that detail.

If you WANT to shuffle paper around to delay decisions!

This sounds like wait-for-China-to-do-it thinking to me. Going to the Moon was costly, but didn't take forever.

3G 4G, 5G... those are just marketing terms, we need to get experience with a few plants of each generation to create the next. The plan of 'do not build, do not license' might make fence-sitters happy, but it accomplishes no long-term goals.

The US has not kept up with steel production technology, because old plants were 'the safe bet'; it hasn't kept up with nuclear power generation because old plants were 'the safe bet'. It's pretty close to losing semiconductor technology leadership, by being penny-wise and pound foolish.

Reply to
whit3rd

That's a post from a droning insult machine. Best thing to do is ignore him. But, I'm not taking my own advice either.

Reply to
whit3rd

Instead of Wikipedia why not go to an actual source. You are supposed to think like a scientist:

The trend for the ocean temperature around Antarctica is -0.1 to +0.3C since 1979. The ocean closest to the coast are between -0.1 to (mostly)

+0.1C. Exactly how is this a crisis for the ice there?

This latest drama is what happens when people can't do their own research and depend on popular sources.

North pole has warmed up more - from +0.3 to +0.6C since 1979. I have no argument with those figures.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

And Donald trump is the only politician fighting against that.

Reply to
bulegoge

IIRC he is due to be released from my KF having served his latest 6 month term some time soon now. We'll see if there's been any improvement in his attitude at that point. I'm seriously doubting it, though. Still, everyone's entitled to a shot at redemption.

Cursitor Doom

You mean jealousy?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote in news:59395042-7a47-44ac-9973- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yer name should not be bull-e-gog it should be bull-shit-e-gog.

After a crack like that, I doubt seriously that you know how any of the other politicians feel.

Trump is like the uneducated congressman who brought a snowball in onto the house floor and barked some stupid crack about how can global warming be real.

except that Trump's understanding of ANYTHING technical or scientific is far less even than the stupid congressman's logic.

You are backing an idiot, and a 100% divisive party puppet, at best.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q5k8eq$qbl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

"released from my KF"? Geeze dude, you have some serious issues to spend ANY time setting up your filters.

Funny, even with all filters off, I have no problem seeing thread branch threads, and you piss and moan about the missing parts and how folks should trim their posts better.

You are about as dopey as it gets.

There simply are not enough posts in this group to piss and moan about, much less filter ANY of them.

Filter your news... yeah, that's real bright... NOT!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I may have read the 1848 Communist Manifesto

The actual manifesto runs from pages 14 to 34. It predates Karl Marx's unde mocratic enthusiasm for "the leading role of the party" by some thirty year s.

I'm quite sane enough to have steered clear of his turgid output in later l ife, though economists do take quite a lot of it seriously.

I don't recall every lecturing anybody on how selfish and racist they are. Cursitor Doom won't be able to come up with any examples, because he's an i ncompetent half-wit who lets the Daily Mail and Russia Today do his thinkin g for him, and neither source is remotely interested in what I post.

As for what I might have done for John Larkin - I was doing the kind of pre cision timing work he's so proud of back in the late 1980s, and reworked a large chunk of it around ECLinPS parts in 1997 and 1998 for an electron spi n resonance system that didn't get built.

Frequent self-calibration was part of the prescription for both the systems I worked up - and it certainly worked back in 1991. John doesn't seem to h ave taken that idea on board.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Jim Thompson didn't seem to think so. He didn't like my politics.

John Larkin boasts about using GHz logic and properly terminated transmission lines, which is what I'd been doing in the late 1980's, and reworked around ECLinPS logic in the Nijmegen University science faculty workshop from about 1997 to 1999.

He probably thought I wouldn't admire his own efforts enthusiastically enough to keep him happy.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Most 76-year-olds do.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

24 feet, how soon?

My kitchen floor is +360 feet, and the cabin is 6400, so I'm not personally as panicked and terrified as you are.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

imminent destruction due to global warming do not advocate common sense sol ution to solving the problem. For instance, going all nuclear would be the biggest step forward to eliminate CO2 and yet...nothing. another thing th at would drastically eliminate CO2 emissions would be to cut all immigratio n to 1st world countries to prevent more people from burning fossil fuels.. ..and yet again nothing from the left to discuss this remedy plan. I figur ed out along time ago that every proposed solution only advances leftist id eology, even though a rational person who only wanted to solve CO2 emission s would aggressively embrace ANYTHING that would stop CO2 emissions . Henc e Global Warming = HOAX!

=0

John Larkin can't get it into his head that the current sequence of ices ag es and interglacials has only been gong on for the past couple of million y ears, and is something that hasn't happened all that often over the past 50

0 million years.

Our pushing the atmospheric CO2 level up to 411 ppm precludes the transitio n back to another ice age - which anyway could only happen at a fairly spec ific phase of the Milankovich cycle

We are moving into a different situation, and do seem to be setting ourselv es up to melt more of our land-based ice sheets than usually happens in a r egular interglacial - about 10 metres worth of extra sea level rise.

The whole Antarctic ice sheet would be good for about 47 metres of sea leve l, and when continental drift takes Antarctica far enough away from the sou th pole it will all melt.

It's currently moving north-west - towards and under South America - at abo ut 13mm per year, so another couple of million years might do it.

Actually, we can't. This interglacial was always going to be a long one, an d by the time the Milankovitch cycle gets into the right phase to allow the flip to an ice age we will undertand the process in enough detail to be ab le burn just enough fossil carbon at the right time to stop it happening.

John Larkin's "certainty" reflects his profound ignorance.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

inequality

That's not one of the obvious problems.

goes into the numerous social problems that get worse when income inequalit y is high. The authors are medical epidemiologists, and use their statistic al skills to compare advanced industrial countries on the basis of income i nequality, as well as the 50 individual US states.

There are a whole lot of social problems that correlated strongly with inco me inequality, and the US states within America show the same correlations as the collection of advanced industrial countries that includes America.

The book does include some discussion of the potential causual relationship s that might be involved. Jealousy doesn't come up, but bullying on one sid e and feelings of powerlessness on the other do seem to be part of the prob lem.

The nice thing about only 1% of the population doing well is that it isn't difficult to identify them. Doing something to make them slightly less gree dy is trickier - those that have the gold do tend to make the rules - but t he army and the police force don't now form a natural part of the over-paid elite, as they used to.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to