OT: Scientific American on sea level rise.

If I work and pay taxes and and save what's left, I want to leave it to my kids. Nothing wrong with that except jealousy. Inherited stock shares do no harm to the public, and inherited wealth that is not productively invested tends to vanish in a few generations.

Illegal acts should be punished. Kleptocracy should arguably be illegal.

Creating general wealth needs big organizations, and someone needs to create and manage them. Governments are terrible at managing productivity. Communes and collective farms and factories have never worked; those were recipes for starvation.

The greedy railroad barrons created enormous wealth (ie productivity) for the entire population. The basis of the transcontinental railroad was clearly kleptocracy.

So did Ford and Edison create great public wealth, the greedy rich bastards.

The unions claim that they invented the weekend. They are wrong.

lunatic fringe electronics

What has happened is that lots of people get Federal flood insurance and build big houses on beaches and sand spits, or in the case of Houston, in reservoirs.

lunatic fringe electronics

I'm glad you asked that... I think. I knew some folks who had property on the Potomac river until the National Park Service condemned it to create t he Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park. Until then, they owne d the river bank as well as the river bottom. This was because their deeds were traceable back to the original land grant from the King of England I believe. I didn't find direct evidence of the original land grant, but I f ound a report of a law case where a Maryland company wanted to charge a fee to rafters exiting the Potomac on the Virginia side because the river had changed course and land that had been river bottom was now river bank. lol They lost and the river *is* the boundary and the extent of the land the c ompany owned was under the water.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I agree with all that. But in most parts of the world the law is imperfect, let alone justice.

You give some examples below, and appear to be using the "it was OK because it was 'for the greater good'" justification. That's been used by bastards of all persuasions to trample over the likes of thee and me.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I like my heated house and my food and my car and my dentist and my oscilloscopes. People in Africa and China can only wish to be so trampled.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I do too. Hot baths are one of the crowning /everyday/ achievements of modern civilisation.

But that's irrelevant, since neither of us have been trampled.

OTOH, many have: you alluded to some in your previous examples. And there are many many others, e.g. the poor bastards that pick in Amazon sheds, and have to pee in bottles because they aren't allowed toilet breaks.

Don't spout meaningless soundbites; it doesn't look good.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:q5hjf2$r6r$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

snip