OT: Print to TEXT File

Is there a program around that is actually capable of "printing" to a text file?

The Wimpows Generic/Text "printer" mostly results in a garbage file.

Mainly what I'm after is something that can "print" a text-mostly web page into a text file. ...Jim Thompson

How about just copy & past the parts you want to a text editor & save? I do that all the time.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ctrl-A, open Notepad, Ctrl-V. Save as needed. Yeah, you'll have to edit the result some.

The Web *IS* text.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

And tags. And images. And Flash. And audio files. And....

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If you use Internet Exploder, this might help. Otherwise, cut-n-paste to an editor works just fine.

Sometimes, you run into a "protected" web page.

Of course, there's a utility for cleaning up the formatting: or you can do it the hard way:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Jim Thompson laid this down on his screen :

So what does the text look like? Is it readable but all strung together like missing EOLs or is it more like garbage (i.e. UNICODE text viewed with a non-unicode text viewer) or is it full of HTML tags or what?

Reply to
BeeJ

I am not sure of your real objective but I use the open source, free, package "PDF Creator" to save screen info to a PDF file to save for whatever reason.

Although it seems pretty inefficient to save it all when a clip will do, the minimum file size is going to be a 4k block.

Screen savers are handy but inconvenient since they are graphic renderings. John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

I've had Adobe Acrobat for close to 20 years... since a Japanese client could manage no other kind of image. Thus, when pressed, I "print" to PDF, then Text Select and dump into a text editor. ...Jim Thompson

I don't know about Windows, but Linux/BSD has lynx which is a text only web browser. Something like this: lynx http://whatever > foo.txt will give you a text file. It may have crap in it if there are graphics blobs that you might want to click, but it wll be text crap that is easy to edit out.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.
Reply to

Thanks, Hal, I'll check that out! ...Jim Thompson

See:

It's available for Win32.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Don't get me started... :)

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

On occasion I've resorted to saving the source, then manually stripping out the html.

Wonder if that could be automated? ...Jim Thompson

Copy to MS Word, save *.txt

Reply to
garyr

copy and paste into notepad?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

In IE9, you can select File | SaveAs | Text. I just tried it and it works fine. Strips out most of the HTML tags. I used it on:

The result (partial):

========================= ========================= ====== HOW-TO: Open Source USB stack for PIC microcontrollers

June 6, 2012 in open source, USB by DP | 16 comments

This guide shows how to configure and customize the latest version of the JTR-Honken open source USB stack for PIC microcontrollers. The demo will run on most USB-enabled projects from Dangerous Prototypes. Be sure to check the wiki for the latest documentation and downloads.

Many PIC microcontrollers have USB hardware. We use some of these chips in the IR Toy, Bus Pirate v4, Logic Sniffer, LCD Backpack, and more. Microchip provides free code to run the USB hardware, but it can?t be distributed with open source software. This has always been a disappointment to lots of people, and a

barrier to using Microchip stuff in open source and education.

Over the last few years forum members wrote and tested an open source alternative. The stack has these features: USB CDC (virtual serial) support USB HID support Double buffered Interrupt or polling driven

All our projects are now running on the most recent version of the USB stack, but there?s never been a simple example and complete documentation. We put together a bare-bones USB to serial echo demo to help get you started with the stack. The example has lots of comments, several pages of documentation, and it can be used as the basis for a new project. It works on many PIC 18Fs and

24Fs right out of the box.

This guide shows how to configure and customize the USB stack. The stack and example code are licensed Creative Commons Attribution, so you can use it pretty much however you want. A huge thanks to Honken, JTR, and many others who contributed bug reports and improvements.

For more details continue reading below.

This page documents key parts of the stack. A USB CDC (virtual serial port) demo is included, it will run on most USB-enabled projects from Dangerous Prototypes.

Tested chips (many more will work):

18F2550 (USB IR Toy, USB and Serial LCD backpack) 18F24J50 (Logic Sniffer, Logic Shrimp, POV Toy) 24FJ256GB (Bus Pirate v4) ========================= ========================

You only need to strip out JavaScript and a few labels and such:

========================= ======================== Our goal is to release a new open source hardware project every month. Copies of our projects are available through Seeed Studio and our distributors. var pkBaseURL = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "

" : "
"); document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + pkBaseURL + "piwik.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E")); try { var piwikTracker = Piwik.getTracker(pkBaseURL + "piwik.php", 1); piwikTracker.trackPageView(); piwikTracker.enableLinkTracking(); } catch( err ) {} (function(){ var corecss = document.createElement('link'); var themecss = document.createElement('link'); ========================= =========================

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

There was a Win 95 program to strip HTML tags, but you still had to do some cleanup & formatting.

This is the only software I've run across. Most hits are for stripping HTML form 'form' data entry on websites to keep people from entering anything but plan text. No idea if it's any good, and it only shows 25 downloads.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In Firefox, 'File | Save Page As' and then select 'Text Only' in the popup box before clicking 'Save'.

Entropy: When your shoelace comes untied, you can't fix it
         by walking backwards.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

[snip]

Thanks, Paul!

Crikey! Right under my nose... Firefox has the same thing. ...Jim Thompson

To get a non-interactive formated text version use the "-dump" option. lynx -dump http://whatever > foo.txt

For the raw HTML, use "-source". (Or use wget, which is an even more arcane command line web utility).

Some web-"masters" have a hard-on about lynx and will refuse to serve pages to it. It takes all kinds. Especially as there's an option to feed the other end whatever ID string you want when the server asks you what browser you're running.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier