OT Modern AC remote has temp sensor???

Does anyone know how an air-conditioner remote control that apparently uses an LED to communicate (like a TV remote control) can send its temperature sensor information to the main air conditioner unit? If It Has to be pointed towards the air-conditioner to send information, how can it regularly transmit the temperature at the remote control location to the air-conditioner unit? I am sure they do not expect the user to always have the remote pointed towards the air-conditioner, and in the owners manual it says nothing about doing that.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

If I'm understanding you correctly, I suspect it only has to be pointed at the main unit when you're changing the temperature setpoint -- after that the main unit just remembers the set point and toggles on as off as needed trying to achieve it.

IR remotes are so ubiquitous these days that they might have just not thought to put in a line about, "be sure remote is pointing towards main unit when pressing buttons..."

Also keep in mind that many IR remotes and their associated receives are strong enough that you don't need directly line of sight -- bouncing off of an opposiing wall is often still plenty good. Going to an entirely different room and closing the door is still asking for trouble, of course.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The temperature sensor would be in the A/C unit, not the remote.

The remote only changes the setpoint (which is retained in the main unit).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The remote doesn't have a sensor, the sensor is in the air-con unit or another sensor within the room. The remote only sets the temperature setting in the aircon. Also, many remotes that retain and display such info can also get "out of sync" with the aircon unit. i.e. it's possible to change the settings on the remote's LCD screen (while not pointed at the aircon) but these settings don't get updated to the aircon unit until the aircon actually receives the next valid command - rather annoying some times.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I agree, the way it is written at Lowe's website does not make sense.

"Remote thermostat allows the unit to sense temperature where you are at with the remote control"

--
Thanks to the replies.
Sorry about the long signature, just forgot to remove it.

It appears that *some* of the Frigidaire models do indeed have a temperature sensor in the remote, and their instruction manuals state that when used in that mode, the remote has to be left pointed at the air conditioner.

See, for example,

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Edison/220201d011en.pdf

I think Lowes are mistaken in saying that FAC107S1A has that feature.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

John Doe Inscribed thus:

The temperature sensor is in the remote handset. It sends the temperature at the handset location to the AC when you press the set button. The AC then compares that to the originally set setpoint and adjusts the output accordingly.

--
Best Reagrds:
                        Baron.

Remember that ad copy and even user manuals are not written by the sharpest tools in the shed. If they had any technical background they would likely be doing something more productive.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

What the f*ck? In order for the temperature sensor at the remote to be used for controlling the air conditioner, the remote would have to periodically and automatically transmit the sensed temperature to the air conditioner.

--
Are you a blissfully ignorant voter? Do you buy stuff made by
faceless workers you will never meet or even chat with on the

Who cares?

What a coincidence, Richard, doing some research just yesterday, stumbled over some of your notable and worthless/pointless replies then too.

Reply to
John Doe

Got to be quite the couch potato to need a remote on the A/C ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Timothy Geitner, Obama\'s new Secretary of the Treasury, noticeably
absent from public view the last few days, was recently spotted at
Barnes and Noble, buying a copy of "Economics for Dummies".

Well I can see taking it around the house and controlling temp in the room your in. I might eventually add another thermostat "downstairs" where its usually colder.

Downstairs=underground dugout=basement.

greg

Reply to
GregS

in.

I remember basements ;-)

Since I have central A/C (actually two 5-"ton" units) I've considered thermostatically controlling vents.

...Jim Thompson

  The stock market is down again.  Was it something HE said ?:-)

In article , To-Email- snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com says...>

your in.

colder.

So do I. :-(

I have 2-1/2T and 3T heat pumps. The 2-1/2T is off for the winter. It's intended for the upstairs (2 bedrooms at either end of the house) and I can't get it balanced with the main unit downstairs, so it stays off.

Reply to
krw

Seems like the GREEN thing to do for Arizona would be to dig in.

greg

Reply to
GregS

your in.

colder.

I vaguely remember "stairs". Our house is 3650 sq.ft. on one level.

Balancing upstairs always seems to be problematic for heating. My #2 daughter had the same problem before they moved to a single-level house.

I think the solution might be adding a duct and a directional fan between floors.

...Jim Thompson

With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse
and you\'ll have a tasty lunch on which you will choke to death.

John Doe Inscribed thus:

I'm talking about my AC unit. Not the Lowes one ! On the basis that mine is similar.

I doesn't send anything continuously ! You press the set button or the up/down buttons or Off/On ones.

--
Best Reagrds:
                        Baron.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@linuxmaniac.nospam.net says...>

Then it's not the "temperature sensor", right?

Reply to
krw

There are more than one way to skin the cat and to transmit wirelessly. It just depends on how much costs they want to add to it. I have IR remote control on A/C and RF temperature/clock (for indoor/outdoor temp.). There is no reason why they can't combine the two in one unit. The temperature/clock can transmit RF through external wall, and no need to point to anything.

Reply to
linnix

your in.

colder.

It was no problem in the VT house. I "balanced" it by shutting most of the flaps on the (hydronic) baseboard radiators upstairs. There were two separated bedrooms off the great room upstairs so there was enough convection to keep them warm. I like bedrooms cooler anyhow.

The great room _is_ a huge duct. That's the problem. The heat goes upstairs. If I turn on the upstairs heat pump I'll just make it warmer, doing little to off-load the main heat pump [*]. The master suite is downstairs so our bedroom isn't a problem.

[*] The downstairs heat pump works well enough heating the whole house, except that on cold nights the heat pump has a 100% duty cycle.
Reply to
krw