OT Modern AC remote has temp sensor???

A few test houses have been done that way here.

We tend to be outdoor people, so it's a claustrophobia issue ;-)

...Jim Thompson

With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse
and you\'ll have a tasty lunch on which you will choke to death.

The AC has to have some feedback, to know when the room has cooled to where you want it. If the handset isn't sending the current temperature, how does the AC know how long to run?

One way that I can imagine is that the AC has a thermostat of its own, which it biases from the remote's reading. E.g., if the remote sends a signal saying "Its 75 here, cool to 70" (cool by 5 degrees), then the AC sets the target to be 5 degrees cooler than it currently is.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

You can get much of the benefit by building the house into a hillside -- you still have one completely "open" side for big windows or whatever on the lower level.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

If I were flush with money I'd do that.

Digging around here can be very difficult. Clay (caleche) just below the surface, ~5' in thickness, usually mixed with slate in knots and bunches. You need a jackhammer to break it up.

My present location is volcanic and igneous rock mix... equally difficult to dig in.

...Jim Thompson

  The stock market is down again.  Was it something HE said ?:-)

The AC has an attached room sensor if that is what you mean.

The handset only measures the temperature at its location. ! When you press the set button it sends that reading to the AC which then uses that as the setpoint. Using the up/down buttons causes the setpoint to shift up or down. There is no display on the handset only five buttons.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

And the "remote" does not (you said it did).

Why would it measure the temperature at its location?

Are you *SURE* it doesn't just remember the last setting? Why would you want to send the *same* temperature to the AC? Why would you want a remote on an AC? ...but that's a more fundamental question.

Reply to
krw

It can be pretty difficult here, too. I was talking to a guy about putting in a small block wall, and found he was the guy who had put in the wall around the perimeter of the development. When bidding the contract, they were told that the soil was uniform and easy. In fact, it is in the debris field from a mountain pass. It is composed of 1 part sand, one part dirt, two parts gravel, three parts stones, and 4 parts boulders.As they dug out the foundation, they found rocks anywhere from 3" to 4' in the path of that wall. It took weeks just to did that foundation for a 6' garden wall, because they had to go back and back fill all the places that the rocks came out of!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

lower

They have a novel way of doing "walls" around here:

Install posts/pilasters like you were doing fencing

Attach metal lathe between the posts

Gunite the whole thing

Actually looks nice, like Mexican stucco.

...Jim Thompson

With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse
and you\'ll have a tasty lunch on which you will choke to death.

Considering that there is no display on the remote I couldn't say.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Do you know *what* it's doing?

Reply to
krw

Why do you want air-conditioning?

Reply to
John Doe

1) 100F 2) Muggy 3) Cheaper than heat
Reply to
krw

The remote could remeber the setpoint and send start and stop commands at apropriate times, no need to send readings continuously.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

krw Inscribed thus:

Yes !

--
Best Reagrds:
                        Baron.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@linuxmaniac.nospam.net says...>

Can you explain it?

Reply to
krw

krw Inscribed thus:

Yes ! See above !

--
Best Reagrds:
                        Baron.
Reply to
Baron

In article , snipped-for-privacy@linuxmaniac.nospam.net says...>

You haven't so far. Apparently you don't really want help.

Reply to
krw

Makes perfect sense, the unit use RF (433 MHz) instead of IR. A lot like a wireless outdoor thermometer.

Reply to
JosephKK

Why do you want food?

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

Michael A. Terrell

Or someone who is stuck to bed and can't get up to turn it on or off.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html