OT: How do i make "volume" work in HTML?

Code being used:

It does not matter what i put in for volume, the result is always MAX! How does one control the level?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Turn the knob on the speaker?

Or don't put noise on your home page - give people some warning before you inflict stuff on them - imagine you're in a cubicle, and just checking something, and you accidentally click on a page, and suddenly fanfare resounds throughout the office, bringing the boss.

Don't do that to your viewers. Give them a choice.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The practice of putting embedded audio on an HTML page is now a part of internet culture. And very, very strange.

Reply to
cbm5

Sorry it was

And on telephone...no. Nope. Not going to work. We're talking multi-megabyte GIFs and sound files in many cases.

Reply to
cbm5

Yes: Don't embed audio on your web pages. An animated GIF of a volcano is useless eyecandy, but at least not dangerously annoying. It still looks like a volcano whether you have some bullshit playing over the user's audio subsystem or not.

Of course I run with embedded audio disabled in my browser, so if I was unlucky enough to visit your site, I would never hear it anyway.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Reminds me of an email that went around a few years back, upon opening it, it turned your VOLUME to the max and shouted loudly

"Heh I am looking at p*rn over here, shut the f*ck up"

I worked at perot systems and you should of heard this > >

Reply to
James Douglas

What i did was modify the audio file to a low volume. If you look, you will see a "video" of a volcano, and the sound is to back that up. Not much point if there is no accompanying audio, and an optionwould kill it as well (i think). However, ig you have other suggestions...

Reply to
Robert Baer

????? I get a totally blank page after about 100mSec (am on POTS). Is there supposed to be something that only IgnorantExasperation can parse?

Reply to
Robert Baer

wrote:

pages

Agreed.

The best any commercial website designer can do is visit the digikey website and copy what they do.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Web "designers" must *eventually* absorb the fact that nobody cares enough about how their "art" renders to actually implement it correctly in a browser - but it is sure taking a long time to penetrate: HTML *suggests* how the page should be rendered. That is all you get.

PS:

The very *worst* idiot, narcissist "web designers" even make special pages that tells you what browser to use and what to download in order to view their creation; and that is all you get until you Obey!

And, NO, I am not going to jump burning hoops just to read some shit on the web. Which always causes offence ;-)=

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

I like that they have their whole catalog on-line, much like McMaster-Carr, but when you're looking for a part that you know what it looks like, but aren't quite sure where in the hierarchy it is, (or what it's called), it's a HELL of a lot easier, quicker, and more comfortable paging through a paper catalog.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Frames are evil.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I was going to sign my dad up for the weekly specials E-mail from Harbor Freight.

Well, you can't use an E-mail address with a period in the user name. They also have the right mouse button disabled so you can't open anything in a new page, so you have to keep hitting the "back" button, which wastes both time and bandwidth. Their inventory search function is poor at best. You can search for the exact name of some items and not find it, but if you have their stock number, you MIGHT find it. I'll bet that website design cost them some sales.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In article , Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote: [...]

If they are a company that makes a part I might care about, I sometimes take the time to send an email to snipped-for-privacy@thecompany.com. I have a few times gotten a good reaction to well worded email on the subject. More often they just ignore you.

BTW: You can change the "identify as" in many browsers.

Lines that tend to get a reaction:

"Have you dropped the XXXX line of products? I can't find them on your web site"

"Ok what moron's 12 year old kid redid your web site? I can't find the data sheets. Please e-mail me the datasheet on XXXXX. My new project needs a ZZZZZ that we can by in quantity."

"Please fire and shoot your web designer. I will let you select the order. Your web site in your front door and he just replaced it with a brick wall."

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

You are one person in a world of many. Others may not share your opinion. If there was no case for it, it would never be done. Simple fact is that simple people like rich UI's. People like you dont, and people like me put a defined limit on what I think is to much. But you and I are only a few.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I should have said a rich visual experience, just like the MS sales people. I guess thats what makes MS so popular.

Reply to
The Real Andy

"volume" is not an attribute of an embedded object in HTML4. The correct interpretation of "embed" is to expect *any* kind of object. Hence "volume" may be inappropriate and is not part of W3C HTML. It

*was* implemented at one stage during the wasted years of the Browser Wars but only as a browser-specific tag. Sound players are no more part of HTML than that cute little plug-in that steals your credit card details.

That;s a little back to front. Web designers need to realize that they can't pluck a non-complient tag out of the nether regions of their imagination (or that of Bill Gates) and expect all the browsers in the world to guess what it means.

UK government sites for example.

You can safely assume the rest of the site would have been crap if you can't get past the front door.

HTML itself is a mark-up language with a clear document model. You can have as rich a GUI as you like, but only by supplementing HTML with embedded objects that *work*. Some browsers do implement deprecated or non-standard HTML and may have a go at rendering sound files, but for proper sound handling you need a plug-in, you can't expect HTML to anticipate multimedia trends.

Reply to
Derek Potter

I'm still looking for a way to embed a form-feed that the printer will recognize when one prints the html document from a browser. Is there such a beast?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Interesting idea! I'm always twiddling around trying to print so breaks don't occur in the middle of an illustration.

...Jim Thompson

      It\'s what you learn after you know it all that counts.

There's no page break in HTML4.01 and I doubt whether you could have an object embedded in a page that interferes with the printer.

Can you use ascii codes like &13;... i suppose that would be far too useful..

Reply to
Derek Potter