OT: CARabunga!

Americans currently owe more than $800 billion against their cars and trucks ? 34% of this debt is owed by people with subprime credit. Another 10% is owed by "deep subprime" ? folks with credit scores below

550. Businessweek quotes Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas pointing out the obvious: "Perhaps more than any other factor, easing credit has been the key to the U.S. auto recovery."

No knowledgeable banker would hold onto this kind of toilet paper. Thus, more of these loans are being securitized and sold ? $17.2 billion worth last year. That's the most since the go-go credit year of 2005. These securitizations move credit risk away from the car companies and finance companies and onto investors ? the same thing that happened in the housing bubble. This separates the underwriter of the loan from the consequences of a default.

We all know how this will eventually end?

If you lived through the subprime-mortgage debacle, you must know what will happen next. Defaults will suddenly rise. Credit losses will follow. Used car prices will fall as more and more cars are auctioned off. More and more car buyers will find credit suddenly unavailable. They will be unable to roll over their loans or get into a new lease, as credit becomes tighter. More and more vehicles will pile up on dealer lots.

Color us surprised that folks that stretched to buy cars are struggling to pay that money back.

"We're starting to see a slight uptick in the number of consumers struggling to make their automotive payments on time," Melinda Zabritski, senior director of automotive finance for automotive-data provider Experian Automotive, said in a company report.

Automobile repossessions jumped 70% in the second quarter versus the same quarter a year ago, according to Experian. And delinquencies more than 60 days were up by 7% over the same time frame.

Meanwhile, the volume of auto loans keeps rising? Total outstanding auto loans hit $839 billion in the second quarter, a 12% increase from the same quarter a year ago.

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York estimates that 23% of auto loans went to borrowers with credit scores lower than 620? Another 10% went to "deep subprime," those with scores lower than 550.

And the government is already looking into the lax lending? Federal prosecutors began a civil investigation into subprime auto lending. They're specifically looking into General Motors' practices? Regulators are concerned lenders are ignoring lending standards.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Forget cars. They're right back to where they were in '05 and '06 with home lending rules. Just about anyone can get very close to 100% financing now. The government is encouraging it.

Reply to
krw

If you would only refrain from cutting and pasting "financial news" that you did not write, from people with political agendas, to spam this group, I wouldn't keep you plonked, and then on those rare occasions when you have a pertinent question, I'd help to answer it.

Oh well, some people are slow learners.

Plonk, again.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Oh don't worry, we can just have another "Cash for Clunkers" program. This will get a bunch of used cars out of the market, force used car prices higher, causing more people to buy new cars that they can't afford, with loans they shouldn't get. Over and over and over again, that's the Obama way.

Mikek

amdx

They're specifically looking into General Motors' practices. Regulators are concerned lenders are ignoring lending standards.,

Seems unlikely. The USA economy is finally coming out of recession, and the existing deficit-financed economic stimulus programs are being wound down. Introducing a new one wouldn't make much sense.

Decifit-funded economic stimulus wasn't invented by Obama - John Maynard Keynes gets a lot of the credit for spelling out why it can make sense, when the economy is in recession.

Right-wing nitwits can't follow the arguments, and see it as just yet another pork-barrel, but one that goes to the wrong people. They find it all very upsetting.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

!CHECK!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Are you saying that you never started to think? I can believe that.

No, I stated a fact.

You are delusional. Credit is incredibly easy to get and *way* far from your statement (that you conveniently snipped) that it was impossible.

"Some say"? So you're not even willing to stand behind your words? Figures.

Delusional.

I state the facts. Sorry if you don't like it.

I'm sorry if the truth hurts your delicate sensibilities. Did you get trophies for "participation" in school?

You really are an idiot. No need to read further.

Reply to
krw

The financial press reports that loans are hard to come by except for the exceedingly well-qualified, Dodd-Frank is scotching even those deals, and a large portion of real estate sales are cash sales to investors.

The reason for mortgage-reluctance given (among others) is that no one wants to loan 30-year money at O-phony temporary low rates.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

They can say that but I see marginally qualified people getting close to 100% mortgages all the time and the government is backing them. Houses are selling like hot cakes, right now. Not that I have marginal credit, but even a couple of years ago, I got a 90% loan (could have had 97%) on a government program, and that was a "second" home. Lenders were throwing offers at me. "Impossible", my foot!

Reply to
krw

below

worth

lots.

Regulators

Reply to
josephkk

Student loans. They've gone nuts ever since Obamacare nationalized them.

"Student loan debt is a serious problem. The Federal Reserve Bank of New York reports it tops $1.1 trillion and is the worst credit risk of any major debt category."

Lots of it is for useless degrees in useless fields, to starry-eyed hopenchangers who can't get jobs, and won't ever be able to pay it back.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

-loan-bubble

York reports it tops $1.1 trillion and is the worst credit risk of any majo r debt category."

changers who can't get jobs, and won't ever be able to pay it back.

That's a little unfair to the students. In Australia, only about 60% of the people who start a tertiary degree course emerge with a degree.

If you do very well at secondary school your chances are better - up to 95% - but that's a very small proportion of the entrants.

Even the bottom 10% of university entrants, ranked by secondary school resu lts, have 40% chance of completing a degree.

So for most people, starting a university degree is a gamble. Society encou rages them to try, because the win on the students who make it more than ba lances the loss on the students who don't. Society hasn't helped by finding a better predictor of academic success than secondary school results. It m ust be possible to work something out which can be added to the secondary s chool examination system to give the students a better idea of whether it's worth their while to spend a year or two finding out whether they can take advantage of university training.

The biggest single cost of tertiary education is deferred income - what you could have earned if you'd taken a job, rather than starting a university course.

To slap student debt on top of that - when you can't predict whether you ca n take advantage of a university education without actually spending the mo ney - seems somewhat unfair.

It's not just the starry-eyed hopenchangers who get shafted by the system. Utterly mercenary potential bankers get shafted just as brutally.

One of my nephews did a first degree in physics then a masters in financial engineering, which he passed - he's bright and disciplined - but found so repulsive that he moved into TV editing, did an IT course part time and now works for Yahoo, practicing a certain amount of financial engineering in t he process (which he still finds repulsive, but tolerates as a necessary pa rt of an otherwise satisfying job).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And can't even do minimum wage jobs.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not true. If they remain "poor", they won't have to pay it back. They can remain an "artist" on the public dole forever and not have to pay back the loan, at all. After a decade(?) the debt is completely forgiven, tax free. Say: "you're welcome".

Reply to
krw

WHAT is this BULLSHIT of a covering image over the article? This CRAP is becoming more and more prevalent. This is utter SPAM that cannot be filtered out. As bad or worst than a virus.

Reply to
Robert Baer