OT: aerial plasma display

This thing is pretty cool, though the reasons they give for developing it sound pretty silly.

It probably stinks like ozone too...

Reply to
bitrex

I've worked on pulsed laser plasmas before. There is no smell on the laser driven plasma in Air.

The problem withe air plasma is the required laser is 30-50K$.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

The narrator said "1 kilohertz infrared laser", did they mean 1 kilowatt?

Reply to
bitrex

It might also be noisy. Dumping a few kilowatts into the air is going to cause the air to rapidly expand.

Laser induced air breakdown (w/sound)

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

It's a few kilohertz in repetition rate. The peak power is very high, because in fact it is pulse compression bssed laser. However it is a few watts average power.

The snapping noise is very loud.

We used air and surface breakdown as a means to tune the pulse compression scheme. In practice, it is to be avoided except for LIBS and machining.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

Also noisy. For tradeshows they have the display inside a thick-wall acrylic pipe.

--

R2D2 should have projected an image of a tiny bright object, then used it as a weapon.  Tiny burn hole shaped like princess Leia.  Goes all the way through!
Reply to