New invention from MIT

Or, The State of Technical Literacy in the US

Did anybody see this small announcement in EE Times, and now in Scientific American?

"To recharge portable electronics, scientists hope to perfect a method for transmitting electrical energy wirelessly. The effect, which has not yet been demonstrated, would take advantage of induction, in which a varying magnetic field can induce electrical flow in a nearby conductor. To boost the range and power, Massachusetts Institute of Technology researchers propose introducing a short gap in a metal loop and attaching two small disks at each end. When electrified, such an object has a natural frequency that results from current flowing back and forth along the loop from one disk to the other. If a second loop has the same frequency, it should be able to receive energy from the other through the magnetic field. From a few meters away, the rate of energy transferred might reach tens of watts, or enough to power a laptop, according to simulations presented November 14 at a meeting of the American Institute of Physics."

As Winfield would say, "Sheeesh!"

They're going to take advantage of induction, eh? What a great idea!

They've only simulated the concept so far; no hardware yet, apparently.

I hope they try standing near their laptop as it receives tens of watts through a distance of a few meters.

Reply to
The Phantom

Simulating high-Q resonant oscillators with say SPICE often takes a lot more effort than actually building them or just working out their parameters on the back of napkin!

Maybe I can send them sold old literature on spark-gap transmitters and Tesla books? That way they can at least use the modern term for those discs rather than inventing a new name :-).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

On a sunny day (Fri, 02 Feb 2007 03:19:55 -0800) it happened The Phantom wrote in :

In an other context about human evolution it was mentioned that 'language' was a big help conveying ideas to the younger generation (as compared to apes, who have no language). So as the younsters start playing with electrick-e-ty we will have to convey some of our experiences to them. I thought this was partly a task for eductation, but as more knowledge is accumulated, and more conveyed by languege, and less by actual hands on experiment, maybe human evolution ends here? OK, was just thinking aloud.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

EE Times has a page where they announce one or two such stunning breakthroughs every week. I can't recall one of them ever becoming a real product.

John

The math for this was worked out two centuries ago. Magnetic fields drop off as the third power of the distance, relative to the distance between the poles, so sending power by magnetic fields is kinda ridiculous.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Cool! I guess my Braun electric toothbrush can breath a sigh of relief that someone figured out how its battery can get charged -- every week for the past 4 years.

Tom P.

Reply to
tlbs101

============================ What about hiding a large receiving coil (hidden in a planter) under the power lines out by the mailbox?

Reply to
BobG

You're forgetting neural networks. Oh, wait, we've all forgotten those. How 'bout fuzzy logic?(*)

(*) True story: In line, boarding a plane in the midst of the craze, two fuzzy evangelicals were arguing a finer point of fuzzy logic. "Fuzzy logic?" says I, busting in. "Yes!" they replied, welcoming the fresh meat with carnivorous anticipation. "Ehh ... better than no logic at all, I s'pose," says myself in turn (nearly bustin' up, I had to turn to hide an ear-to-ear Cheshire grin). Stoney silence ensued, a great improvement!

Cheers, James

Reply to
James Arthur

I've heard of but not read about these guys. AIUI (third-hand), what they propose is something like an array of emitters which combine to produce a certain H-field, which supposedly can transfer power over space without radiating far-field. Cancellation, constructive this- and-that, and other such phrases were bandied about.

A friend referred me to their literature, but I've misplaced the reference. Besides, I prefer to wait for the prototype ;-)

James

Reply to
James Arthur

That's funny, I was just thinking the same thing. My Sonicare seems to get coupled just fine without wires.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Nope, sorry, It's aready well covered in several parts of "Wireless Telephony and Broadcasting" by H.M.Dowsett, London, 1923. However, for some reason they missed out any reference to the Laptop.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

But these guys have gone one step further. :-) They could show you how charge it from a few meters away!

Reply to
The Phantom

But in theory you *could* produce enough near field to do the job. Then you could cook dinner right there beside your laptop while the laptop is being charged!! And, keep yourself warm!! :-(

Didn't those old diathermy machines run at around 13 MHz, in the ITM band?

I remember seeing pictures of a doctor applying the coil to someone's shoulder. The new MIT invention will be able to apply diathermy from a meter away; no need to get close.

It sounds like the (apparently) single-turn loop they're proposing would run in the HF band, sort of like the Iso Loop antenna.

The Phantom

But, but, but, it's not even April yet!

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Get the full scoop here:

The Phantom

can you translate it into ordinary english for us mere mortals?

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

I don't claim to understand the paper, but there are some red flags:

(1) Any scientific paper that has lots of "terms" in "quotes" should make a big klaxon go off in your "head". These "air quotes" mean the "writer" can't think of an apropos "word" so they use a bit of "jargon" instead.

(2) A purely theoretical approach isnt terribly helpful. Any proposal to beam microwaves should perhaps keep in mind that you get cataracts pretty quickly from anything much over 5mw/cm^2. Also a lot of people have closed metallic loops, such as pacemaker leads, orthodontia, jewelry, watch bands, and rings on their fingers. It's probably unwise to induce considerable current into these loops.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

I thought it was just a variation on a resonant coupled charger?

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax