"Nanodot" batteries anyone?

Not seen it mentioned here before -

The "nanodot" battery is about the size of a brick at present.

This and even more garbled versions of it has been doing the rounds lately. It looks slightly more convincing than eCat but does anyone have any half decent information about the capabilities of this apparently peptide based battery technology with insane recharging speed. The press releases and demos seem to have all been for airheads.

Basically it must be a new form of super capacitor. I am astonished that any peptide based organic system can stand this treatment.

Assuming they can make a 2Ah device that recharges in 30s then:

The charge current will have to be 2*120 = 140A which strikes me as enough to cook any peptide based device on the first charge cycle.

I would settle for 5-10 minutes to recharge provided battery capacity wasn't compromised as a result of the faster charge.

If it *is* real then it is a truly astonishing breakthrough...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Den fredag den 10. oktober 2014 12.23.34 UTC+2 skrev Martin Brown:

I don't that that video shows anything, there is no mention of capacity

stick a few super caps in a plastic box show that it can charge in 30 seconds don't show that it'll only run the phone for 2 minutes get $6mill VC funding....

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

ven more garbled versions of it has been doing the rounds lately. It looks slightly more convincing than eCat but does anyone have any half decent inf ormation about the capabilities of this apparently peptide based battery te chnology with insane recharging speed. The press releases and demos seem to have all been for airheads.

any peptide based organic system can stand this treatment.

ugh to cook any peptide based device on the first charge cycle.

Let's try some basic calculations:

2Ahr is around 7200F supercap. Assuming mid-range technology of 50F per cu . in. It would need around 144 "^3. 7200F / (50F / "^3) = 144 "^3

A brick is roughly 3 x 2 x 6 = 36 "^3.

So, they are claiming 3x to 4x better than average, which would remain to b e seen from a startup.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

There are dozens of astonishing breakthroughs announced daily, by universities and startup companies and goofy web sites like EE Times and phys.org, which announces several solar cell breakthroughs and cures for cancer per week.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Really? What was today's?

I'm prepared to concede a relatively high ratio of announcements to actual break-throughs, but dozens of announcements per day would seem to be a gros s exaggeration. The same "breakthrough" does tend to get announced repeated ly as it moves from the bench, to the proof-of-principle start-up to the e arly-adopters start-up, though there are obviously more of the early stage announcements as the development process weeds out the less-good ideas.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to