manychips dot com

Never order IC's from them! And if you want some *not* AD620's I've got a bucket full of 'em.

George H. (we shouldn't let purchasing search the web for cheap stuff.)

Reply to
George Herold

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Followed by:

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

Only buy from authorized distributors.

And NEVER let purchasing make decisions about what to buy from who.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

As JL said "Only buy from authorized distributors."

Reply to
John S

Appalling, disgusting, sad.

Reply to
John S

yes, but also a little misleading.

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are a few respectable resellers of end-of-life parts, like Converge.

They trace the parts history, and often do testing, to make sure they are authentic and good. Expect to pay above ebay prices.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How so?

Reply to
Waussie

Or have a competent purchasing department.

Reply to
krw

Competence in a purchasing department is more about picking the right distr ibutor to get the right price. They aren't expected to be expert on the pro perties of what they are buying, beyond knowing when to ask engineering if an alternative offered is close enough to do the job.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The best solution is not to block all export, as they're strongly promoting , thus putting people into serious poverty, but rather to set up the means to recycle the stuff safely in Asia. It's not difficult to see how to recyl e thermoplastics, CRT glass, pvc flex etc. That can be done abroad much che aper than in the west with huge benefit to the people that need it.

And don't kid yourself that the business will stop if the US stops exportin g. Asia has no lack of its own electronics to recycle.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

All true, I just wanted to bitch and moan. (It takes time to figure out it's a bad part, and not something else wrong.) Usually they come to me. Hopefully this kilo-buck mistake is a lesson learned.

george H.

Reply to
George Herold

tributor to get the right price. They aren't expected to be expert on the p roperties of what they are buying, beyond knowing when to ask engineering i f an alternative offered is close enough to do the job.

Expert, no. Functional, yes. The CM I am currently working with has been advising me on how to deal with the current passive shortage. They have a program that matches properties and recommends alternate components. That list is sent to me for approval and an AVL is generated from my BOM.

Funny though. When I first created the BOM 10 years ago I had alternatives for some parts. The CMs I contacted were confused by it so I reduced each line item to one component. Oh well...

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

e:

istributor to get the right price. They aren't expected to be expert on the properties of what they are buying, beyond knowing when to ask engineering if an alternative offered is close enough to do the job.

n advising me on how to deal with the current passive shortage. They have a program that matches properties and recommends alternate components. Tha t list is sent to me for approval and an AVL is generated from my BOM.

es for some parts. The CMs I contacted were confused by it so I reduced ea ch line item to one component. Oh well...

just out of curiosity can one buy salvaged resistors? I assume it not worth their while, but I've watched them remove them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

China is quite literally a cesspool:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Hey, good news. After some back and forth Manychips is taking the counterfeit IC's back. (With only an hour or two of my time wasted.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

So these chips only looked like the right chip and were full of the IC equi valent of sawdust?

Do you have any good experiences with them? I mean have you bought from th em before?

Even if they take back the chips, I'd still not want to buy from them. The EOL device I use is listed all over Aliexpress, but I haven't bought any. For one, they are more money than the prices I can get in the US. Then of course there is the issue of counterfeit chips.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

uivalent of sawdust?

them before?

he EOL device I use is listed all over Aliexpress, but I haven't bought any . For one, they are more money than the prices I can get in the US. Then of course there is the issue of counterfeit chips.

Never before and never again. It was a purchasing screw-up. They had a 60 day return policy, which we exceeded... 'cause we were using up old stock. But purchasing contacted them anyways, I jumped through some hoops, and we get our ~$1k back.

We've purchased some stuff from Ali-baba after buying less than ideal parts from amazon... crooks lurk everywhere.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

e:

equivalent of sawdust?

m them before?

The EOL device I use is listed all over Aliexpress, but I haven't bought a ny. For one, they are more money than the prices I can get in the US. The n of course there is the issue of counterfeit chips.

Are you saying these parts were bought and put in inventory without testing or an immediate need to use them?

Or are you saying you expected to test them with then-current builds but a mistake was made and the old inventory was used before any of this order so it took more than 60 days to get around to using these parts?

Either way, I'm surprised you would order parts from a company like this un less the need was dire and immediate.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit