Long life electrolytic capacitors

Hah, so the unicorns DO exist!

https://pl.mouser.com/datasheet/2/88/MLP%20300%20CMYK-1160784.pdf

"The MLP?s high-energy storage and box-shape make it perfect for
voltage holdup or filtering in military SEM-E modules, telecom circuit
packs and computer cards. The MLP delivers up to 20 joules of

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors
It's funny you say "unicorns"; MLP also stands for My Little Pony.
https://i.imgur.com/ADmiE.png

Hmm, this is arguably more on topic, and arguably even more disturbing?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4129/5163751400_961b35fa89_b.jpg

Well... enjoy, I guess. ;-)

Oh, so, anyway, "exist" may be a little strong... have you checked stock on
any of those? :-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

https://www.digikey.com/en/ptm/c/cornell-dubilier-electronics-cde/mlp--mls-flatpack-capacitors

Not that bad.

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors
On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 16:14:31 +0200, Piotr Wyderski

$85.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

Alternative?

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors
On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 19:53:10 +0200, Piotr Wyderski

Good conventional electrolytics last a long time if they don't run
hot. ESR self-heating is the big enemy.

Several small caps in parallel is thermally better than one big one.
Air flow matters. Shop around for a combination with minimal ESR and
maximum surface area.

Polymer aluminums are good, low ESR and no water to diffuse out, but
it's hard to store much energy in them. They don't seem to come in big
sizes.

This is great:

https://club443.ru/uploads/77/post-1197729116.jpg

Maximum thermal insulation.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

Since the replacement only has about 1/3 of the capacitance of the
original, I fail to see what is so "great" about it.

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors
On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 17:55:38 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

You might hire Sloman for lessons in taking everything absolutely
literally.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

Gimme a break I'm on the Spectrum FFS. :-D

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

We are /all/ on the spectrum[1]. The question is
/where/ on the spectrum.

[1] well, multiple different spectra really.

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 15:31:40 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

Well, so am I, but mixing in a little schizophrenia adds flexibility.

Usenet doesn't convey irony as well as, for example, bar stools.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

John Larkin doesn't seem to be able to detect irony in usenet posts, but irony is detectable in written communications (at least by sophisticated readers), so the problem may lie more with John Larkin than the usenet.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

So much for CD's critical thinking ability :)

I wonder if he notices when the point whizzes past him?

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors
On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 20:24:25 +0100, Tom Gardner

Irony, humor, ambiguity, and confusion are fundamental to electronic
design. The solution space is so enormous that lightly-directed
stumbling is the only way to explore it.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

Aye. Too many times I've found a good solution by going down what look at first like the wrong roads.

NT

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

Group brainstorming often works well, but one sourpuss can poison the
session. It's important that there be no initial distinction between
serious ideas and goofy ideas and outright jokes.

About the only thing we can safely dismiss is outright violation of
conservation of energy.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors
t first like the wrong roads.

I've not found group brainstorms successful myself. The others have always
been far too conservative. You must have colleagues more like-minded.

I should have learnt from my first one, wherein I suggested an idea that so
unded a bit off the wall but I'd already done it years before & it quadrupl
ed sales. In hindsight it's not hard to see why, it's primarily basic atten
tion getting, something that's often undervalued in business. Plus remindin
g people of the problem they need to solve.

NT

Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

Yes. One scores points for having ideas, not shooting down ideas. It
can be a lot of fun. Sometimes we can get potential customers to play;
the danger there is that we can look hare-brained and uncertain; some
customers expect mature certainty, as in a prepared PowerPoint or
something boring like that.

Customers know their process and we know signal processing. It takes
some iteration to discover a great combination. It's wonderful when it
works.

A lot of potential customers simply won't reveal what they actually
intend to do. That makes innovation tough.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors

Well, he is in SF, that probably helps.

I have the problem that I'm almost always more analytical, more experienced,
and better at explaining things than others at meetings.  If I tried
throwing out absurdities, everyone else would be like, "I didn't know you
could do that".

I suppose it's my fault for sticking around this brain drain.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: Long life electrolytic capacitors