lead free solder again - Page 8

Re: lead free solder again

[...]

I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't polticians that forced California to
use MTBE.  I was pointing out that local (in this case democrat)
politicians had asked to be allowed to do what made sense and got a
refusal from the federal level politicians.

In the US, you also get form letters.  If your letter happens to hit the
right desk on the right day, you may see action.  When Nixon was in
office, there was also the posibility that you'd get a visit from the IRS
if you made enough noise.

That depends on what you mean by "non-Western"  Japan is about as far east
as you can get.

[...]

The press is getting aggressive now, because they smell blood in the
water.  For about 6 years they have been cowed.

Also, the US, broadcast, press is now own by a smallish group of people.
Even the "alternative" newspapers like the Bay Gardian are being bought
up.  Government control over the press is not the only form of censorship
to worry about.

Even with a "free press" there is also the problem of a "stupid press".
If they don't do a good job of reporting on technical issues, the voters
will be easily misled.  Most news programs on TV have had their budget for
actual reporters cut.

Very few have there own technical and political experts.  They go to one
guy with "Dr." in front of his name and let him say what he wants and then
go to "Dr." someone else and let him talk.  This they call "balanced" even
though one of the two is the only person on the planet with that opinion
and the other holds the view of people actually working in the field.

[... story of it working ....]
Its nice to hear that democracy still works.

snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net   forging knowledge

Re: lead free solder again

[.. Nixon using IRS on enemies.]

Under Nixon, I believe they would burn up days of your time.

Today it is unlikely it would be the IRS that would get used for that.
Its been done and everyone knows about it.  Some new method of making
trouble for people has likely already been invented.  We just haven't
heard what it is yet.

The cable TV is bundled with the internet so that it makes it cheaper to
get them together than apart.  There are things on TV worth watching:

  "The Daily Show"
  Reruns of "Whos line is it anyway"
  "Discoveries this week" (sometimes)
  "Slings and Arrows"
  "Mythbusters" (sometimes)

snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net   forging knowledge

Re: lead free solder again

Hello Ken,

Today, the minute the press finds out somebody would sue them. When an
agency becomes a burden without a public interest benefit to show for it
something will happen. I remember some undue regulatory burden on our
industry (med), a ground swell of complaints and a short time later a
very high level employee there "pursued other interests".

We just had such a case locally. Undue mass strip searches at the town's
jail. Sure enough they were sued and the plaintiffs won a huge award.
For the 2nd time and for the very same offense! Except this time the
award was several million higher. I guess it's now time for someone to
resign or be fired.

That's the catch: Out here, if you want cable broadband they won't let
you have it sans TV except for an exorbitant monthly fee. So the deal
was not favorable at all versus DSL and I declined.

Maybe I am indeed missing something. Oh well, I don't feel deprived :-))

We do have TV but only as far as the antenna can see. When (or if?)
analog TV is really switched off and all stations go digital that may be
the end of it because the chosen system appears to have poor multipath
performance and we live in the hills. By then hopefully the web will
have taken over anyway, at least news streaming.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

The trick is not to let the press find stuff out.  We don't know, for
sure, who is in the Guantanamo prison.  The press doesn't have access to
it.  That would have to be the sort of thing done today.  If an
adminstration like Nixon's got in place today[1], that would have to be
the sort of thing to look for.  I'm sure someone's already figured it out.

[1] Someone is sure to jump in and say one has.

Do you mean political burden or economic burden.  The US department of
Rural Electricification still exists even though their job was finished
years ago.

[...]

IIRC:  LA got sued for stuff like that year after year with no changes.
They just added a budget item to pay for it.

[...]

We've had bad luck with DSL.  I think it is because of unlucky location vs
the nearest "drop".

You don't know what you are missing so you wouldn't.  Jon Steward is
really worth seeing. (Daily Show) the rest of the people on his show
mostly suck.  Its about 15 minutes a day of TV worth the electrical
charges to see.

BTW:  Although his show is a "fake news program".  Their reporting is
often better than the "real news programs".  He also gets a wide range of
guest on and does great interviews with some of them.

I almost expect some tricky little box to hit the market that solves the
problem.  It would have to impose a delay on the signal while it does its
figuring.  Chances are, you'd need to antennas.

.. or ..

A great idea I've had for a long time is this:

Instead of transmitting the whole show, send an electronic description of
the actors and script.  The TV could then generate the program from that
information.  I figure for most programs a K or two of data would do:

Actor 1:  Tough looking private eye #37
Actor 2:  Blond bimbo #54

Scene 1: Dead body on office floor
  Sound: Bimbo scream #103
  Action: Bimbo hand to mouth

Scene 15:  Sunset
  Hereo:  Rides off into.

I imagine some sort of news "pull" service where you set the sort of stuff
you want to hear about and it gives you those stories in detail.  The
other news can come in digest form.

snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net   forging knowledge

Re: lead free solder again

Hello Ken,

Today I read in the paper (Sacramento Bee) that one guy who got released
  has published a book about it. I guess it'll contain a lot of these
details.

That's amazing. Out here, any kind of armchair operations is brought to
light by organizations like taxpayer groups. Of course, they sure will
miss out on some of the waste.

That would be the time for voters and supervisors to pull the plug. WRT
to the prison health system that has already happened by taking away
oversight and assigning a judge to do that. Quite embarrassing.

We were lucky in that they strung a fiber loop. I was one of the first
to sign up.

And I am not going to plunk down over $50/month for that :-)))

I am no expert here but from what I know about the DTV standards were
are stuck. The one we chose may flunk quite badly in a multipath
situation, some of which (like ours) can't be remedied via antenna
technology.

Know what you mean but then I might as well turn the TV into a lamp or
something.

T'is already there, to some extent. My wife knows most of the news
before they even show on the evening TV newscast. The stations
themselves update their site pretty well (I guess because the
competition does).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

Hi Joerg,
Well, one of the things that you will soon find, is that if there IS a
program you want to watch, you will probably be able to download it off
the net, and not just a pirated copy.  More and more programs are going
to become available for download now...

Charlie

Re: lead free solder again

[...]

It will only be what one person is telling us.  Unfortunately part of how
you make people talk is to isolate them from everyone but the gaurds.  It
is likely that no one person will be able to tell enough of the story.

Oooops I just tried to find their budget and had no luck
 "The administration was abolished in 1994 and its functions assumed by
  the Rural Utilities Service."

I guess it was part of the effort to make the federal government smaller
and more streamlined that happened under Clinton.

[...]

The problem in LA is that the voters don't seem to care.  Some long as the
beer is cold, there's a game on or the Hummer starts, they won't get
motivated.

Cool :>

I get it for free.  My wife pays.  :)

Bummer.  It soundly like such a good idea.  It was based loosely on some
of what is done in seismic processing.  They assume that in the long term,
the signal (the rocks down there) is more or less random.  They pile about
12 more assumption in the blender and out pops the frequency domain
correction that needs to be done on the signal.

Finally a good use for about 50 Crays.  Decoding a badly designed signal.
:)

snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net   forging knowledge

Re: lead free solder again

Hello Ken,

The terrestrial part of the DTV deal looks like one of those hastily
slapped together legislative actions. It reminds me a bit of RoHS but,
of course, RoHS has a much higher potential of becoming a hugely
expensive blunder. DTV, well, the folks in the mountains will just stop
watching. But whoever is in office at the time analog is turned off, I
don't want to be in their shoes when the constituents begin to sock it
to them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

What amazes me is the number of non digital-tuner equipped sets still on sale
over here !

Graham

Re: lead free solder again

Are the digital tuners MPEG-4 compatible yet? Why not?

Regards
    Ian

Re: lead free solder again

Why would they need to be mpeg4 compatible ? I expect they just do whatever they
need to decode the transmissions.

Graham

Re: lead free solder again

Because broadcasters want to move to using MPEG-4, which will obsolete
the current crop of MPEG-2 only compliant digital decoders.

Regards
    Ian

Re: lead free solder again

Surely there should be some standard for what a tuner's supposed to do ?

Graham

Re: lead free solder again

Hello Graham,

Same over here, for smaller sets. Almost as if nobody gives a hoot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

I think it may be similar here.

Whilst a larger set can indeed bear the added cost of a digital tuner more easily
and presumably helps get the quantities up so as to make the tuner chipsets less
expensive, I fail to see the logic of not fitting them to smaller sets so *much*
later.

I just happened to be browsing in the local branch of a well-known high street
retail electrical chain ( Dixons for you Brits ) a while back and enquired if the
DVD recorder that caught my eye had a digital tuner. The sales executive a.k.a
'new
lad' had no clue. This country's doomed if we continue this way with clowns in
charge.

Graham

Re: lead free solder again

Hello Graham,

easily
less
*much*

Because they don't have to. If it costs only one cent more they aren't
going to do it unless for some reason they are forced to. Some might not
believe DTV is going to happen (for the US anyway). It probably will
happen and I can already see the US Mail system choking on all those
bags of letters going to members of our congress.

the
'new

Same with the larger companies and their "customer support" where the
outsourced lads and lasses merely read out of a binder. If the answer
ain't in there you ain't going to get an answer. Just had that happen on
a printer. Seems they couldn't even understand the problem.

There may come a day when only engineers can have high-tech gear in
their homes because you have to be your own customer support. It's also
a rapidly growing business opportunity because a lot of people simply
throw up their hands. I can't count how many times I had to coach
neighbors through their programmable thermostats, time and again. It
used to be just a round dial with the degrees on there. Now you have to
press button A three times, hold button B one second, then press C and
enter the desired extra-terrestrial flubberonium equation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 02:40:14 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@green.rahul.net

Patriot act?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.

Re: lead free solder again

[...]

That's more about gathering information on people than messing them about.

snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net   forging knowledge

Re: lead free solder again

"More toxic" gasoline?

If the internal-combustion engiune fueled by gasoline were a new
invention, it would not be permitted under our current consumer
protection regime.

Re: lead free solder again

Hello Richard,

Not gasoline that is more toxic. What James meant was more consumption
of gasoline. That is because oxygenators reduce the BTU per gallon and
that reduces gas mileage. AFAICT from my vehicle it is about a 10%
increase for current California gas. It was a few years ago that I
tested and it could have changed because MTBE was phased out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Site Timeline