Intel P82F001 1M/bit flash boot ROM.

My first question: does this flash Rom having been optimised for BIOS and boot use, hinder in any way generating read addresses with a binary counter to access the full range sequentially?

Second question: What's the easiest route/minimalist approach to opening a short audio file in XP-Pro and writing it to said flash ROM?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Field

er

No, you can address it like any other staic memory.

Whatever you intend to use to playback the audio should be made to program the memory as well. A microcontroller would seem to be the simplest choice.

Reply to
cbarn24050

No, you can address it like any other staic memory.

Whatever you intend to use to playback the audio should be made to program the memory as well. A microcontroller would seem to be the simplest choice.

====================================

I was hoping the bytes could somehow be made to emerge from the LPT1 port, presumably the address counter would have to have a little extra logic to set up the address and data then strobe the write enable/chip enable - shouldn't be too much more extra logic to hold the ready pin on the LPT port for the write time and address setup time of the next byte.

Reply to
Ian Field

This FLASH has 17 address lines, 8 data lines and 3 control lines.

A standard parallel port has 8 data lines, 5 status lines and 4 control lines.

Has the player side of this project already been done ?

Looking at the commands this device uses, seems like a lot of extra logic and PC based code to program this device.

I would guess that these are left over chips that you want to use, rather then buying something newer.

I would use a 40 pin AVR or PIC and have something running within a few hours.

Downloading the audio file via a serial port (no PC code) and programming a serial flash chip would be the easiest.

Building up a board with the amount of logic that I see necessary, just to use a parallel port is kind of overkill.

Even using an Arduino would be easier than that.

To each his own.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I'd go for an SPI serial flash.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I posted a schematic over on a.b.s.electronic for my version of this Flash programmer.

Software will come later.

hamilton

PS: I do not have a 28F001BX-T available. So the software may take a few iterations.

Reply to
hamilton

Thanks - but I haven't got any AVR kit and I don't think I have any PIC parts in the drawer with enough pins.

Reply to
Ian Field

Ok, I just drop it.

Can I ask if the player your using is a existing design that uses this flash part ?

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I got a MC68B701S - that's got enough pins.

Reply to
Ian Field

nd

g a

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

,

ort

That would be very difficult, if you dont allready have a device for playback there isn't much point programming the chip. You apear to be developing a rather down spected mp3 player.

Reply to
cbarn24050

That would be very difficult, if you dont allready have a device for playback there isn't much point programming the chip. You apear to be developing a rather down spected mp3 player.

=====================================

Even what I'm after is probably a bit OTT for a novelty doorbell.

Reply to
Ian Field

--
Never heard of a SIPO shift register, huh?
Reply to

I said minimalist - that's getting a bit complex for a novelty doorbell.

Reply to
Ian Field

.

..

ing

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

rt,

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

uoted text -

I think they allready make them.

Reply to
cbarn24050

I think they allready make them.

=====================================

They already make a lot of things I amuse myself by piecing together with parts salvaged from scrap gear.

I have a couple of early ATX boards from before EISA was deleted, they have

1Mbit flash ROMs - seems a shame to waste them.
Reply to
Ian Field

.

B...

OS

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

-

PT

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

ve

Oh well if it's for amusement thats different, have fun.

Reply to
cbarn24050

(...)

Ian and everyone, I've got a few NOS E28F400B5B80 devices you can have for the cost of postage. Just send me a stamped self-addressed anti-static package and I will get them to you. They're in 48-Lead TSOP; 512MB x 8 or 256KB x 16.

My eMail addy is at the bottom of the first page of:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thanks for the kind offer but I actually have more decommisioned old MOBOs with flash ROMs than I originally thought - there's probably even more still in cases that I CBA evicting untill I have better boards to take their place.

As yet its still only a "thinking about it" project with a fair bit of study still to do before I even put pen to paper.

As someone else pointed out such novelty doorbells are already in the shops (but probably not with the sound I want) so its just a one-off project to amuse myself.

Reply to
Ian Field

OK, Ian.

The offer is open in case anyone wants these flash memories. It would be a shame to toss them away.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

with

they

have for

package

256KB x

html

MOBOs

still

study

shops

Do you know off the top of your head if they are -T or -B?

Reply to
josephkk