ICEs vs EVs and the oil supply/price

The proposition that EU folks have been kept down by their masters sounds strange coming from an American citizen.

Their quality of life ranking puts Ireland at the top (which came as a surprise to me) and the US at 13th.

In the US the top 1% of the income distribution is seeing their incomes increase, and the remaining 99% of the population are at best level-pegging. The lowest 40% of the income distribution is actually losing income.

Phil Hobbs may be in the top 1% "master" class of the US, which does seem to be keeping down the rest of the population, but imagining that the EU is similarly encumbered is plainly wrong (not that you will find this out by following US media reports).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It was wasted on you. You refuse to read. Or think.

Reply to
krw

I still can't decide if you're lying or just AlwaysWrong stupid.

Reply to
krw

Another moron who can't read or think, but I always knew that about ShortBit.

Reply to
krw

This is pot calling the kettle black.

While krw can read, he can't absorb new information. Anything that doesn't exactly agree with what he already "knows" is rejected as lies and idiocy.

Since a lot of what krw knows is lies and idiocy, this does have its comic side.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

My ancestors were from Ireland too, my great great grandfather that I'm most familiar with had the very Irish name of James Stuart

Reply to
bitrex

The kind of person who tells people the Leftist University System is a bad value and not to bother so there'll be more people out there to swing flash degrees at to "win" discussions. "I have a PhD"

Everyone know the score here it's no mystery

Reply to
bitrex

I know Phil. He's OK. His book is great. I gave a copy to the co-founder of a very big laser company, who then got mad at me because he couldn't put it down and get any sleep.

Civilization is not a zero-sum game.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

There are many talented Non Leftist engineers here to be sure. I didn't have the opportunities that most did I had to take the higher education I could get at a price that was affordable. Most of what moderate amount I know about electrical engineering I learned mostly for free from the Internet and books, it was my ticket out from a life of being poor to a life of being not-poor.

Point is this is a fine place for engineering advice but a rather poor one for self-made-man or "lifestyle" advice vis a vis wealth and class.

If I had spent the past decade taking seriously opinions on who my personal or financial "masters" are or are not from right-wing engineers I would have been homeless a long time ago.

Reply to
bitrex

Well, we're supposed to understand control theory. And make things that work.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Humans aren't really an engineering problem. Or at least if you try to apply logic directly to predict how humans will behave you'll get steered wrong about equal to the number of times you're steered right.

Most supremely talented engineers in my experience (there are deffo exceptions though) don't have an overwhelming desire to be managers which is probably for the best for everyone involved

Reply to
bitrex

IMO many academic "experts" on human behavior tend to be wrong. A few stanzas of a Shakespeare sonnet can often summarize the whys of things way better than a volume of dry psychology textbook literature

Reply to
bitrex

I can't imagine how that works. The basic right wing advice is work, save what you can & don't expect others will bail you out when the crap meets the blades. Sound advice I wish every young fool would take.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's okay advice as far as it goes but leaves out a number of important details. Most people work. but simply working hard at some job whatever it is in America in 2018 is no guarantee of success anymore, not even a guarantee of basic financial security anymore. People work hard and still end up in homeless shelters and on the street all the same.

For a lot of young people "save what you can" translates to pretty close to $0 because most everything costs a lot more than it once did but most every job except the top-tier white collar jobs haven't had their pay increased to match.

Don't expect others will bail you out when the crap meets the blades is decent advice but what a young man from a family of modest means and honest working-class disposition may notice when he goes out into the world is that in America that "rule" is very lax in enforcement. People all around you seem to get bailed out of their problems with zero accountability constantly! And lots of people (including the ones bailed out especially) like it that way just fine. Men get bailed out, and women get bailed out even more. You'll also notice that the likelihood that this happens will often bear little relation to how much the person in question works hard or contributes to society, too.

Your acquaintances who were born more well-to-do will walk away scot free from offenses which as a child would have gotten you severely punished by _your_ mom and dad, and as an adult would've gotten _you_ thrown in jail but they're still out walking the street.

It's good for young fools to listen to advice but consider carefully the source and don't be fooled twice. A lot of Americans say one thing but are playing by a decidedly different standard of rules themselves, or would at least very much prefer to. and do _not_ have your best interests at heart by a long shot.

Reply to
bitrex

Conversely you will also meet so many incompetent fuckheads who don't even know how to properly CC an email, or how to set the alarm on a digital alarm clock, or not to walk in front of moving vehicles and who can't drive for shit and wreck their luxury vehicles routinely, pulling down outrageous salaries in both the public and private sector alike that it will be hard to not sometimes come to the conclusion that how hard you work and how intelligent you are is not exactly inversely proportional to your pay rate in a given white-collar job.

Saving a modicum of dough to invest in a a straight-talking therapist with a sense of humor goes a long way to try to avoid developing a disposition of resignation and bitterness which only hurts a man in the long run.

Reply to
bitrex

nt

.

rs

ve what you can & don't expect others will bail you out when the crap meets the blades. Sound advice I wish every young fool would take.

heh, about a life-ful in fact

I don't believe it ever was a guarantee of success.

That's what all the youngsters here say. The reality is very different - th ey have way more disposable income than we ever did. They just fritter it o n things no-one needs then whine how little they have & how hard done by th ey are.

people do get bailed out but you can't ever count on it. Look after yoursel f.

No-one said the world was fair. At least not since school.

nothing new there. There is good advice about as well - but you need to kno w enough to give it in order to tell which is good & which isn't. So the pe rson needing to hear good advice can't evalute it. There lies the catch 22. Hence it's notoriously difficult for the know-not to find good life advice .

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

.

ds strange coming from an American citizen.

surprise to me) and the US at 13th.

increase, and the remaining 99% of the population are at best level-peggin g. The lowest 40% of the income distribution is actually losing income.

em to be keeping down the rest of the population, but imagining that the EU is similarly encumbered is plainly wrong (not that you will find this out by following US media reports).

Phil Hobbs was talking about Europe. Your "here" seems to be the USA.

And I do have a Ph.D., which never seemed to win any discussion for me - no t that I now spend much time discussing physical chemistry (which was the a rea of the Ph.D. work).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

w.

nds strange coming from an American citizen.

surprise to me) and the US at 13th.

s increase, and the remaining 99% of the population are at best level-peggi ng. The lowest 40% of the income distribution is actually losing income.

eem to be keeping down the rest of the population, but imagining that the E U is similarly encumbered is plainly wrong (not that you will find this out by following US media reports).

How would John Larkin know? He doesn't actually live in a civilised country .

Nothing about US culture suggests that they have mastered the idea that rai sing the standard of living (and the educational level) of the population a s whole can raise the standard of living at every level within that populat ion.

John Larkin claims to be in favour of education for women, but he does prov ide a dramatic example of man who doesn't feel the need to be any better ed ucated than he is now, while clearly needing more education.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

row.

in

ort

ounds strange coming from an American citizen.

a surprise to me) and the US at 13th.

mes increase, and the remaining 99% of the population are at best level-peg ging. The lowest 40% of the income distribution is actually losing income.

seem to be keeping down the rest of the population, but imagining that the EU is similarly encumbered is plainly wrong (not that you will find this o ut by following US media reports).

The two don't always go together. Back in 1973 the resident expert on contr ol theory put together a two-transistor astable that blew up both transisto rs instantly. The circuit diagram he'd copied dated back to the days before planar transistors, and the parts he'd used blew up when you put more than 5V of reverse voltage across the base-emitter junction.

He was a self-satified know-it-all, and word went around the laboratory rat her quickly.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That does leave out the bits about grinding the faces of the poor, never giving a sucker an even break, and exploiting every back-door connection you've got.

You've got be a fool to do any of that, and equally foolish not to be aware that it's an integral part of the right-wing prescription.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to