ICEs vs EVs and the oil supply/price

The i3 tires are 155mm wide on a 19" wheel with an aspect ratio of 70, they're literally motorcycle tires

Reply to
bitrex

It does, that's why they're banned in most of the 1st world. Road trains are a mare to get past or overtake, resulting in danger. If it weren't for that they'd be the obvious way to increase capacity, reduce congestion & cut costs.

or 10 or...

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've only been stranded once in the Volt, I was in the city late and didn't have enough gas to get back but didn't want to pay the high in-city gas prices (this was back when it was well over $3 a gallon.) I figured I'd have enough to make it back on electric after it fully charged at the free charger.

It was 2 AM when I got back to the car and found that at some point the charger had detected a ground-fault, maybe due to the heavy rain, and cut out leaving me with only 1/4th full pack and near zero gas. An alert had popped up on my phone but I wasn't checking I was ah, occupied. Most of the gas stations in Boston proper don't seem to be open 24 hours.

Nothing left to do but just head in the shortest route towards home and hope I made it to the nearest 24 hour gas station on the way. The car did its best but it finally rolled to a stop on the side of the highway in the rain about 2 miles out.

I sheepishly called AAA and the nice man in the wrecker arrived in about

25 min with a gallon of gas and I was on my way
Reply to
bitrex

My Audi A6 normally runs on 245/40ZR18 tires, very nice on a smooth dry road, but absolutely awful on snow. I have a set of winter tires too fortunately.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 4:46:15 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

e:

ay

or trailers which is what they would replace.

are a mare to get past or overtake, resulting in danger. If it weren't for that they'd be the obvious way to increase capacity, reduce congestion & cu t costs.

Lol, banned? State governments have banned something before anyone has inv ented them? That's pretty good.

They aren't hard to get past. We aren't talking about two lane roads. I'd prefer those to 20 individual trucks which all drive at different speeds a nd make it impossible to maintain a speed in any lane without someone ridin g your bumper.

I-95 is terrible in VA. Three lanes, but trucks are banned from the left l ane. In my pickup I would drive too fast for the right lane with trucks sl owing to 55 on the hills. So at 60 or 65 in the middle lane the trucks wou ld be on my bumper going downhill. A 20 truck road train could be passed a ll at once and left behind. If electric they likely would have the horsepo wer to not slow on the hills making them completely benign.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code +--++

Get 6 months of free supercharging +

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Japanese cities and countryside have tons of Japanese-made delivery trucks like this roaming around:

but a krw says can't drive a full-size pickup in Japan cuz the roads are too narrow.

Ok like if the definition of "full size" is an F750 maybe. Here's some real small dick enhancement power:

Reply to
bitrex

But "never support" likely means you can't hoon the crap out of it around the suburbs at 65 in a 45 tailgating the shit out of everyone going wicked fast because the bed is never weighed down by anything but air

Reply to
bitrex

ote:

ctor trailers which is what they would replace.

s are a mare to get past or overtake, resulting in danger. If it weren't fo r that they'd be the obvious way to increase capacity, reduce congestion & cut costs.

nvented them? That's pretty good.

Road trains are in use in Australia and India, so obviously they have been invented. They were invented long ago.

wrong on both counts.

Good for you. Most governments however don't.

mpossible to maintain a speed in any lane without someone riding your bumpe r.

lane. In my pickup I would drive too fast for the right lane with trucks slowing to 55 on the hills. So at 60 or 65 in the middle lane the trucks w ould be on my bumper going downhill. A 20 truck road train could be passed all at once and left behind. If electric they likely would have the horse power to not slow on the hills making them completely benign.

There are a number of upsides, and I do wonder if some governments might re consider their positions. But currently they aren't permitted in most devel oped countries.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

well illegal

theres length limits.

Until you want to change lane and there's one beside you, also how can something that long "merge" with freeway trafic

Jasen Betts

rote:

rote:

irst

en't

ance

o say

actor trailers which is what they would replace.

ns are a mare to get past or overtake, resulting in danger. If it weren't f or that they'd be the obvious way to increase capacity, reduce congestion & cut costs.

Maybe this is what I don't understand. If they aren't connected, how can t he length be limited. Two vehicles that aren't connected can be a mile lon g.

Even if they are all connected, they are visible. I often drive on highway s with 5 or 10 trucks all nose to bumper. How is that different? I have t o plan my lane change and squeeze into a spot when I see it, enough ahead t hat I don't miss my exit. This is true regardless of the presence of "road trains".

As to the road trains merging onto the highway, I guess you are thinking th ese vehicles all have to be bumper to bumper. They don't. They are actual ly self driving vehicles following a lead vehicle exactly like we have toda y. Think "Convoy".

Rick C.

  • Get 6 months of free Supercharging + Tesla referral code -
gnuarm.deletethisbit

If they aren't connected it's not a road train.

I thought convoy and decided it would require fully autonomous vehicles, or multiple drivers.

Jasen Betts

e first

haven't

he

tenance

g to say

tractor trailers which is what they would replace.

rains are a mare to get past or overtake, resulting in danger. If it weren' t for that they'd be the obvious way to increase capacity, reduce congestio n & cut costs.

hways with 5 or 10 trucks all nose to bumper. How is that different? I ha ve to plan my lane change and squeeze into a spot when I see it, enough ahe ad that I don't miss my exit. This is true regardless of the presence of " road trains".

g these vehicles all have to be bumper to bumper. They don't. They are ac tually self driving vehicles following a lead vehicle exactly like we have today. Think "Convoy".

or

I assumed we were talking about disconnected vehicles all following along. Otherwise Tesla brings nothing special to the table.

Rick C.

-- Get 6 months of free Supercharging -- Tesla referral code -

gnuarm.deletethisbit

:

the first

e haven't

un

the

intenance

ing to say

20 tractor trailers which is what they would replace.

trains are a mare to get past or overtake, resulting in danger. If it were n't for that they'd be the obvious way to increase capacity, reduce congest ion & cut costs.

ighways with 5 or 10 trucks all nose to bumper. How is that different? I have to plan my lane change and squeeze into a spot when I see it, enough a head that I don't miss my exit. This is true regardless of the presence of "road trains".

ing these vehicles all have to be bumper to bumper. They don't. They are actually self driving vehicles following a lead vehicle exactly like we hav e today. Think "Convoy".

, or

. Otherwise Tesla brings nothing special to the table.

We were talking about a road train.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

:

te:

n the first

ple haven't

run

of the

maintenance

thing to say

n 20 tractor trailers which is what they would replace.

ad trains are a mare to get past or overtake, resulting in danger. If it we ren't for that they'd be the obvious way to increase capacity, reduce conge stion & cut costs.

one

an

highways with 5 or 10 trucks all nose to bumper. How is that different? I have to plan my lane change and squeeze into a spot when I see it, enough ahead that I don't miss my exit. This is true regardless of the presence of "road trains".

nking these vehicles all have to be bumper to bumper. They don't. They ar e actually self driving vehicles following a lead vehicle exactly like we h ave today. Think "Convoy".

es, or

ng. Otherwise Tesla brings nothing special to the table.

I thought this was about Musk considering a "road train" which I assumed me ant something that actually had some connection to the auto pilot/self driv ing capability his company is developing.

n the first

te:

of the

maintenance

Musk's "road trains" aren't actually road trains as you seem to think.